The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-26-2022, 03:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hello from Caulfield Composites

Hi Guys!

I tried typing what I wanted to say, but I thought a little video might be easier;

Some Specs on the guitar that I forgot to say:
Model name - Atlas
Scale length - 24.8" / 630mm
Fret Board Radius - 12" / 300mm
Nut width - 1.75" / 44mm
14th fret to body

The logo/text on the headstock is missing off this one, just awaiting delivery to add it on (unfortunately it wasn't here in time to apply before clear-coat!) :P

Looking forward to interacting with you guys and welcoming your valuable insight! Photos and videos to follow in the coming days. I'm a one-man-team so things might take a little longer!

Thanks!

Last edited by Simon@Caulfield; 04-26-2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:29 PM

looking forward to hearing one of your guitars.

Do you plan to build to order? Both size, color and hardware?

Enjoying:

Larrivee CS-09 DF (Sitka/Ziricote)

Recording King ROS 616 (All Mahogany) project
Old 04-26-2022, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Welcome Simon, that looks very interesting ! Will you have dealers or direct orders from the factory?
Old 04-26-2022, 04:56 PM

So cool. Where abouts are you located? Perhaps I could swing by for a visit this summer.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Many congrats, Simon. Looking forward to learning more about your new business...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-26-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Simon@Emerald, is that you?

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-26-2022, 08:39 PM

Best of luck with your new business! Great looking design and like others, I’m interested to hear how the guitar sounds. Recommend you do a prototype in black since I imagine that color will be a leading seller. Good to see another carbon fiber builder joining the marketplace and looking forward to following your updates.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Very cool! Like several others in here I have a fascination with how guitars are built. Particularly with composite. Will be following with interest.

Couple of questions:
What weight is the guitar? I love light guitars and it's interesting to see the variance the composite manufacturers have

Are you planning a truss rod or other adjustable mechanism for the neck?
Old 04-26-2022, 10:36 PM

Congrats on your new guitar (and uke?) venture Simon. I'm guessing that the cost of getting a new carbon fiber guitar company off the ground is most significant, and that the expertise to design and build one requires the command of quite an extensive skill set. The guitar appears to be looking great from what you've shown us thus far, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing and hearing demos of your guitar.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks all for your messages/responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-OM View Post
looking forward to hearing one of your guitars.

Do you plan to build to order? Both size, color and hardware?
At the moment, Its just me doing everything so its likely that it will be built to order. However, I'm thinking of maybe making them in batches. This will help keep the cost down and also makes sense in terms of the work flow. Ideally if there is enough interest, I'd like to always hold a number of stock guitars and demo guitars as well; in terms of the specification of stock instruments, that's something that's yet to be decided and I'm very much open to suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Welcome Simon, that looks very interesting ! Will you have dealers or direct orders from the factory?
As mentioned above; I'm a one man team and will initially at least be selling direct. I personally want to work with my customers through the process. I dont have any solid plans beyond that, and I'm in no rush to scale the business too quickly. As a massive guitar fan myself; I see a lot of benefits in remaining a "boutique" builder both for the customer and myself. That being said, I recognise the benefits of a supported dealer network. This is something that I welcome feedback and input on as the business grows (or hopefully grows! :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
So cool. Where abouts are you located? Perhaps I could swing by for a visit this summer.
Just replied to your PM! For now I'm working out of my garage alone; however hopefully with enough interest I can move to a more suited premises. This will likely be somewhere close to Belfast.

Id love to meet with you when you are on this side of the pond, just let me know when

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Many congrats, Simon. Looking forward to learning more about your new business...
Thanks RP!

My previous prototype is painted in a satin finish; if memory serves.. both you and I have quite a love for satin guitars! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Hey, Simon@Emerald, is that you?

Yes Great to hear from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
Best of luck with your new business! Great looking design and like others, IÂ’m interested to hear how the guitar sounds. Recommend you do a prototype in black since I imagine that color will be a leading seller. Good to see another carbon fiber builder joining the marketplace and looking forward to following your updates.
Thanks for your feedback! I will likely make the next in the black carbon (i have made others but for one reason or another; I just wasn't happy with them).

I'm making a real effort to test every variation. I personally like a solid colour with carbon exposed in specific areas (like on the fretboard and bridge of this guitar); and its also easier to show the design on camera (given my limited skill set with a camera!); but then why have a carbon guitar if your not going to show it off?! :P

I have been talking with a number of suppliers about different weaves and am looking forward to trying those out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Very cool! Like several others in here I have a fascination with how guitars are built. Particularly with composite. Will be following with interest.

Couple of questions:
What weight is the guitar? I love light guitars and it's interesting to see the variance the composite manufacturers have

Are you planning a truss rod or other adjustable mechanism for the neck?
I'm looking forward to sharing more of it with you guys!

This guitar weighs 1.85kg/4lbs. I've had ones that were quite a bit lighter, but for sound and balance this is quite a bit better.

Yes, It has a two way truss rod accessible at the headstock. Again, I've tried variations on this and had some issues. I've found a truss rod; despite adding weight enables a better playing experience through fine adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
Congrats on your new guitar (and uke?) venture Simon. I'm guessing that the cost of getting a new carbon fiber guitar company off the ground is most significant, and that the expertise to design and build one requires the command of quite an extensive skill set. The guitar appears to be looking great from what you've shown us thus far, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing and hearing demos of your guitar.
Its been quite the undertaking; that's for sure!

I'm coming at this from both someone obsesses with music, but also as a Mechanical Engineer. Its been an absolute passion project for me on both fronts. I won two awards for innovation along the way; and that helped motivate me when the first test instruments didn't quite meet my own expectations.

I've got a 200 page dissertation on the process and development (200 pages was the limit or there would have been more!).

Demos to follow soon! (hopefully) :P

Last edited by Simon@Caulfield; 04-27-2022 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

First, thanks for being a forum sponsor Simon.

Congratulations on your company and new guitar, it looks great. It's good to have another option in the carbon fiber market.

I am always thinking ahead when purchasing a new instrument in terms of repairs. My question is will there be a way to repair the pickup in the event it stops working? Can you get inside the guitar?

Wish you and your company.well.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-27-2022, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Welcome Simon,

It has been my pleasure to chat with you recently and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the AGF... again!

Congratulations on all the things you've been doing lately... very impressive. I look forward to learning more about your products. Thank you for your sponsorship of the forum.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

It’s excellent to see you back in action, Simon.

The more viable makers there are in the CF world, the better it is for all. Looking forward to seeing your designs progress, and how you will differentiate yourself from the rest of the market - also where you land for pricing.

It’s going to be fun to watch this venture progress - I think you’re incredibly brave undertaking such a thing!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-27-2022, 08:26 AM

Very cool Simon. Looking forward to seeing your contributions in the world of carbon fiber instrument building!
Old 04-27-2022, 08:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
First, thanks for being a forum sponsor Simon.

Congratulations on your company and new guitar, it looks great. It's good to have another option in the carbon fiber market.

I am always thinking ahead when purchasing a new instrument in terms of repairs. My question is will there be a way to repair the pickup in the event it stops working? Can you get inside the guitar?

Wish you and your company.well.
Thanks so much, Joe!

I was able to wire the fishman pickup in ok, including the under-saddle, the controls, the pre-amp (which is mounted to the output jack) and the battery.

That being said; I personally prefer an externally accessible battery. Adding this would make it easier to change the batter (vs the Velcro pouch inside) but also give an extra access point at the bottom to join the wires.

I just couldn't find a nice discrete battery box in time (however have since designed my own that I may add to this guitar). :P

As a whole, access is restricted; but very possible (well; if you have small nimble hands like I do!).

Thanks for your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Welcome Simon,

It has been my pleasure to chat with you recently and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the AGF... again!

Congratulations on all the things you've been doing lately... very impressive. I look forward to learning more about your products. Thank you for your sponsorship of the forum.
Thanks so much for your help, Kerbie! Thanks for having me... again

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
It’s excellent to see you back in action, Simon.

The more viable makers there are in the CF world, the better it is for all. Looking forward to seeing your designs progress, and how you will differentiate yourself from the rest of the market - also where you land for pricing.

It’s going to be fun to watch this venture progress - I think you’re incredibly brave undertaking such a thing!
The more the merrier!

Pricing is a little tricky at the moment; with everything that's going on in the world, material prices are fluctuating weekly. Another issue is that carbon fibre suppliers are very much geared for large bulk orders; smaller quantities can cost a whole lot more per meter. The carbon I use has a relatively short shelf life; and has to be kept frozen until used. I will likely look at making small batch runs for this reason and to try and keep the prices competitive.

My supplier actually supplies all of the British F1 teams the same stuff, and the price goes up in the pre-season development! :P

It has been a scary venture; but I'm excited to be at this stage and look forward to sharing more Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Very cool Simon. Looking forward to seeing your contributions in the world of carbon fiber instrument building!
Thanks so much!

Last edited by Simon@Caulfield; 04-27-2022 at 08:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber