The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
You can choose the mini vintage jack as suggested above if this is a concern. I would not recommend this, as you then need a specific, fallible cord which is unlikely to always be there when needed. I just changed the mini vintage jack to a standard 1/4” jack on a very high end guitar, as the mini jack and cord were very unreliable.
It's really easy to solder a 3.5 mm plug to a standard cord. I keep it in my HD-28's case, along with a short adapter in case I need to go to a DI or preamp to use a house PA. It is always there as I don't use it on anything else.

I've found these connectors are just as reliable as the 1/4" phone plugs we've been using since the 1950's.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Would this harm a vintage?

Yes, you are correct, it’s easy to make if you’re a solderer, which I’m not. One can also buy a premade 1/8” plug cord.
But for me being able to use a readily available (from any musician or PA guy) ‘guitar cord’ if mine is missing or faulty is an important practical consideration. Also, I don’t really mind a jack instead of an end pin button, it just seems normal to me.
I don’t have a one-to-one relationship between a guitar and its case; I usually take a gig bag or two, leaving the guitar’s case ( and likely any custom cords) at home.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Thank you all for your well reasoned comments. This isn’t going to be easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
The strap button is not an issue for many, if not most, people. You should be able to find drop in tuners very easily, but save the originals. The pickup would likely be a problem on a vintage instrument. I’d install a K&K Mini with a vintage jack, which requires no drilling. The entire rig is easily reversible.
Yes, it is easy. Zissou and others have given you the answer. I have strap pins in the heels of all my vintage Martins in the correct position. You can find tuners with the exact same outline, if not 1950s tuners work great. And just use a vintage end jack. Guitars are tools meant to be played. My 1936 000-18, 1937 00-18 and 1937 00-17 all are out hanging 24/7/365 and all get played outside.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, blindboy and Zissou. I guess it’s a matter of making an appointment at Gryphon now.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion