The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-25-2022, 07:32 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Default Avoiding accidental pull-offs on alternating bass

I have a problem with accidental pull-offs when doing an alternating bass. For example, suppose I pick the 5th string with my thumb, fretted at the 3rd fret with the ring finger, and then pick the 6th string also fretted at the 3rd fret with my ring finger.

When I lift the ring finger off the 5th string, I get a nice syncopated pull-off, but I don't want it to sound. I'm trying to lift straight off, and maybe do it more slowly, and I still get some pull-off note. I also try to mute it a bit when fretting the 6th string as well. That is more sure-fire but is a bit trickier. My finger isn't sticking to the string.

Do you encounter this, and what do you do about it? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Try pushing down a bit before you lift. I have this happen once in a while too.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I barely vertically lift off (maybe a sixth of an inch at most) base notes when alternate thumbing. That way you can lift off slow enough to virtually
mute the string as you lift off (even when going at pretty good tempo). For example in my recording below on the initial C chord. On the next
chord (B7) I may do the same or hold an index finger barre the whole time depending on my mood.

http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Mu...eBlanchard.wav

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 03-26-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:39 AM

Of course trying to correct errors is a good thing. Also be aware that embracing errors can, sometimes, enhance the sound of what you are playing.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:19 AM

Don't lift your finger off the string. Just let the string off the fret. You can move it to the 6th string without actually losing touch entirely with the 5th string.

It's tricky at first, but becomes second nature after a while. Eventually you can lift the finger off the string, but by then (for a nanosecond) the finger has muted the string as it leaves the fret.

In any case, a subliminal sounding of the open A if it's not muted is no real problem. Obviously you try not to lift your finger so much that the pull-off is obvious. (Having just tested out my method, I notice that I can sometimes hear that open A, but only because I'm actively listening for it. And only when just playing those two beats (1 and 3). Normally when that A does sound, it coincides with the 2nd and 4th beats (picked on the 4th or 3rd strings) which completely mask it.)

Personally, unless I need my pinky for melodic notes on the top strings, I fret the 5th with my pinky and 6th with my ring, which avoids the issue. But that's mainly just to save the movement of the ring finger - I can just hold the whole C/G chord the whole time. But then again, of course, I do often need the pinky for other things...
Old 03-26-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
I have a problem with accidental pull-offs when doing an alternating bass. For example, suppose I pick the 5th string with my thumb, fretted at the 3rd fret with the ring finger, and then pick the 6th string also fretted at the 3rd fret with my ring finger.

When I lift the ring finger off the 5th string, I get a nice syncopated pull-off, but I don't want it to sound. I'm trying to lift straight off, and maybe do it more slowly, and I still get some pull-off note. I also try to mute it a bit when fretting the 6th string as well. That is more sure-fire but is a bit trickier. My finger isn't sticking to the string.

Do you encounter this, and what do you do about it? Thanks.
Have you thought about videoing your left hand with your phone and having a look to see what's going on?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write