The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-11-2022, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Default 2022 CF McPhersons

The updated McPhersons are here....a few upgrades and changes. I think they look really nice ! Good job McPherson ! https://mcphersonguitars.com/carbon-series/
Old 01-11-2022, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Well dang! Now I have to take a page from the "golden years" Taylor crowd and start a rumor that the McPherson CF guitars built between say 2018 and 2021 are the "golden years" because the quality of the carbon was better, or something like that.

The one upgrade that I would want for my McPhersons would be the Gotoh tuners. I will have to email McPherson on that at some point. They are very responsive and if a reasonable request is made, they seem willing to comply. If I asked for a no cost exchange for the upgraded Sable, that would not be reasonable, but it might be fun to try.

Also, I would prefer the inlaid "McPherson" on the headstock instead of that metal plaque. Fortunately, this is really a non-issue, but I might like to upgrade the tuners. Heck, even my original Cargos have Gotoh miniature 510 tuners.

Tony

Last edited by tbeltrans; 01-11-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:13 PM

Very nice! However I had hoped they would introduce a larger model with a 16” bout so I could play carbon for bluegrass. :-)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Still no MG size! What the heck!! When will they realize that some people prefer slight larger guitars than 15" wide across the lower bought! Its been years now people have asked for that, I know I even sent them messages and called one about it.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:32 PM

Great guitars! Guess will have to wait for a better look at the new "Camo" top. I do prefer the headstock makeover. Minor enough but the inlay looks great
Old 01-11-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Very nice! However I had hoped they would introduce a larger model with a 16” bout so I could play carbon for bluegrass. :-)
May need a RainSong Jumbo or X30 for that. As you know, McPhersons are a bit on the compressed side. Not sure they can make a banjo killer but...

Any way you slice it, show up to a bluegrass jam with any of these and you will get some sideways glances
Old 01-11-2022, 08:06 PM

I wonder if they've made any changes to the bracing or internals or if the changes are all basically cosmetic.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I really liked the headstock too! My Touring has more "high end" and is brighter than my Sable. They sound quite a bit different. Not sure why. I sent them a message asking what material the older Sable used for bridge pins. I see they indicate Tusq for the 2022.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Still no MG size! What the heck!! When will they realize that some people prefer slight larger guitars than 15" wide across the lower bought! Its been years now people have asked for that, I know I even sent them messages and called one about it.

Same here! Called and wrote them. That design in a 16” bout could replace a lot of our dreadnoughts and Jumbos for gig work and festivals, etc.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I really liked the headstock too! My Touring has more "high end" and is brighter than my Sable. They sound quite a bit different. Not sure why. I sent them a message asking what material the older Sable used for bridge pins. I see they indicate Tusq for the 2022.

It was tusq before, just no inlay if I recall.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
May need a RainSong Jumbo or X30 for that. As you know, McPhersons are a bit on the compressed side. Not sure they can make a banjo killer but...

Any way you slice it, show up to a bluegrass jam with any of these and you will get some sideways glances

I tried the Rainsong Jumbo but it isn’t as loud as a standard dreadnought. I’d like to get my hands on the X30 however. By us the folkies, Grassers and country bumpkins don’t care what you play as long as it sounds good. :-). Most are too old to see that far across the room. [emoji23]
Old 01-12-2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Grassers and country bumpkins don’t care what you play as long as it sounds good. :-). Most are too old to see that far across the room. [emoji23]
Sounds like a cool group
Old 01-12-2022, 07:42 AM

From my look at it, seems they made the blackout model features standard (fretboard marker, tusq inlay pins, all black trim, gotoh tuners). Cant recall the old pricing as to if they bumped the price up $200-300 to cover those features as the blackout features were $200-300 upgrade before.

They took out the color options for Touring which I would assume will help dealers/McPherson sell more in the end as looks less like a toy and dealers wont have to guess what colors to order. Also should streamline the time to get one. I personally favored the all black look of the sable so admittedly am biased.

Really like the headstock, never understood the old one as was eyesore.

Not personally a fan of the camo. But shows the basketweave was a not a hot seller since they pulled that from the line. I guess the camo goes with Mcpherson's carbon bows but honestly think it could turn some people off from the Mcpherson carbon line as a whole. Unless they plan to release a new top every year or two as to make them limited editions.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvguitars2005 View Post
Not personally a fan of the camo. But shows the basketweave was a not a hot seller since they pulled that from the line. I guess the camo goes with Mcpherson's carbon bows but honestly think it could turn some people off from the Mcpherson carbon line as a whole. Unless they plan to release a new top every year or two as to make them limited editions.
Interesting thoughts. There wasn't a lot of buzz around these... I assume because no NAMM show this Winter? Anyway that prompted me to visit their FB page because I wanted to see more pictures of the Camo top. Incidentally someone asked this very question to which McPherson responded; they will still be offering the basket weave finish.

You may be onto something regarding the Touring. While I didn't read anything about the colored Touring models being discontinued, I do notice that certain colors don't seem to move well (pink and yellow) based on my Reverb feed.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

These are very nice guitars, and I think the subtle changes are good improvements. The new inlay name on the headstock looks classier than that embossed logo to my eye. Not a fan of the Camo top - looks blotchy to me. The black-out fretboard is an OK change. Better tuners - no downside to that.

Good to see McPherson giving some attention to the CF side of their line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber