The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-04-2020, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Is there a master volume on the L1 Pro 8? Either on the unit or in the app?

I can't tell from any of the photos of the controls.

Thanks!
Matt
Great question. No master volume.

Control panel on the back of the Subwoofer has a multi-function Knob.
Default Knob on each channel is Volume.
Press the Channel knob and it changes from Volume and becomes the Treble control. Then turn to adjust.
Press the knob again and it is now the Bass control. Turn knob to adjust level.
Press again and it becomes the Reverb level control. Turn knob to adjust level.
Press knob again and it reverts back to being the channel Volume.

When you press the knob, a corresponding label is illuminated indicating the mode it is in; Vol/Treble/Bass/Reverb.

The Bose L1 Pro Mix App layout for the iPhone is similar, but the knobs are all there to see on one screen.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 11-04-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Great question. No master volume. The control panel on the back of the Subwoofer has a multi-function Knob. Default is Volume. Press knob and it becomes Treble control, then turn to adjust. Press again, Bass control, turn to adjust. Press again, it becomes Reverb, turn to adjust. Press again and its back to Volume.

When you press the knob, a corresponding label is illuminated indicating the mode it is in; Vol/Treble/Bass/Reverb.

The Bose L1 Pro Mix App layout for the iPhone is similar, but the knobs are all there to see on one screen.
Thank you for the super fast reply!

So when the knob is in the Volume mode, it's volume for each individual channel?

I could never understand why they left a master volume off of the Compact (and the S1 Pro) and I'm even more surprised that Bose didn't fix that on the new ones. I've read some criticisms that the lack of effects (and maybe master volume) on the Compact was to "force" people to buy the T1. I don't know.

I have different colored tiny triangles of tape so that I can match my guitar and vocal volume for those rare times I use the Compact without the T1.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I count a Master Volume as a fairly necessary feature!

Thanks again for your help!

Matt
Old 11-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Thank you for the super fast reply!

So when the knob is in the Volume mode, it's volume for each individual channel?

I could never understand why they left a master volume off of the Compact (and the S1 Pro) and I'm even more surprised that Bose didn't fix that on the new ones. I've read some criticisms that the lack of effects (and maybe master volume) on the Compact was to "force" people to buy the T1. I don't know.

I have different colored tiny triangles of tape so that I can match my guitar and vocal volume for those rare times I use the Compact without the T1.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I count a Master Volume as a fairly necessary feature!

Thanks again for your help!

Matt
I had an EV Evolve 50 for a while. I was surprised the app let you adjust a Master Vol but not individual Channel volumes. I find the ability to adjust individual channels a better solution (Particulary from an App when I am in front of the mic) That's where I need to make quick tweaks.

For my shows, once I get levels set, I rarely if ever need to turn up. and turning down individual channels has been no big deal for me. Do it maybe once if needed and then I'm set for the rest of the gig.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-05-2020, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had an EV Evolve 50 for a while. I was surprised the app let you adjust a Master Vol but not individual Channel volumes. I find the ability to adjust individual channels a better solution (Particulary from an App when I am in front of the mic) That's where I need to make quick tweaks.

For my shows, once I get levels set, I rarely if ever need to turn up. and turning down individual channels has been no big deal for me. Do it maybe once if needed and then I'm set for the rest of the gig.
I guess since I have a Compact and an S1, the lack of a master volume isn't a deal breaker.

When I used to play out a lot I would get to a place early, set up and do a sound check, often to an empty room. Then when I'd start the gig and the place was more crowded, I would often need to turn up a bit or down a bit if we overshot our guess at a good volume. I like the ability to do that with a master volume instead of messing with my mix.

I rarely use my Compact without the T1 so I have that ability and have the controls right next to me.

It's just interesting. Bose must not have gotten enough requests to add that feature.

Thanks again for the good info and the demo!

Matt
Old 11-05-2020, 02:50 PM

Every gig I’ve played with professional sound techs they bring the sound into the monitors first getting the mix right for you, then final step bring in the mains and adjust the master. Not having a master vol isn't very professional. Will the new Bose Pro line even be able to use the t1 - can anyone find out?

Otherwise, yeah they don’t make T1’s anymore and you hit the nail on the head about it being a marketing ploy to lure you into buying their $500 mixer: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...onematch-mixer

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-17-2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 11-05-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Every gig I’ve played with professional sound techs they bring the sound into the monitors first getting the mix right for you, then final step bring in the mains and adjust the master. Not having a master vol isn't very professional. Will the new Bose Pro line even be able to use the t1 - can anyone find out?

Otherwise, yeah they don’t make T1’s anymore and you hit the nail on the head about it being a marketing ploy to lure you into buying their $500 mixer: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...onematch-mixer
Yes, the new Bose has an output connector that will power and drive the T4 and T8 Bose mixers.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-17-2020 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:22 PM

That sounds great! Especially for a cell phone video. Much heavier than the L1 Compact though?
Old 11-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
That sounds great! Especially for a cell phone video. Much heavier than the L1 Compact though?
The sub is taller and is a very easy carry. It is bigger but I think it also sounds better. Well worth the trade-off in my opinion. Quantum upgrade. I am gigging it Saturday with my band at a wedding. I'll report back.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-05-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, the new Bose has an output connector that will power and drive the T4 and T8 Bose mixers.
I know that much, but I asked “Will the new Bose Pro line even be able to use the T1”. Maybe someone with a bose pro forum account can ask for us
Old 11-06-2020, 06:00 AM

I’m curious as to how the new Pro 8 would compare to the L1s with b1 bass ?

These two models are only $20 apart in Canada and which one would offer better sound quality and value ?
Old 11-06-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know that much, but I asked “Will the new Bose Pro line even be able to use the T1”. Maybe someone with a bose pro forum account can ask for us
They reorganized the forums so I'll try to find that when I have the time--but I can't imagine any reason a T1 wouldn't work. Same fittings etc.

It's so nuts!
Old 11-06-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

FYI - I've been playing around with different tone match settings for my acoustic guitar.

The LR Baggs iMix Blend Setting is The MAGIC BULLET!! I tried Martin tone match settings, other Baggs settings and none of them sound as good.

Granted, I am using Martin D-18's and an HDC-28, all with Baggs Anthem PU's. The Bose does not have Tonematch profile for the Anthem, but the iMix Blend is absolutely magical.

I haven't tried it with my K&K equipped Martin yet, but I will test just to see if it matches up. When I use the Martin Outlaw acoustic guitar with the K&K, I also have the K&K Pure XLR Preamp. It sounds best with that Preamp.

But I prefer plug n play and this Baggs iMix Tonematch profile is exquisite!!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-16-2020, 07:51 PM

Thank you Gary "Groberts" for your recent posts and videos.

So this morning, I headed to my local GC store and picked up a L1 Pro8!

I've played through it on and off for several hours. Acoustic guitars and singing.
It's like the L1C on steroids.... Very lush and enveloping sound..

I'd say it's just "more" of what many of us love about the sound of the L1C.
It's bigger and better! PLus the Mix App is very cool allowing control from iPhone or iPad.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thank you Gary "Groberts" for your recent posts and videos.

So this morning, I headed to my local GC store and picked up a L1 Pro8!

I've played through it on and off for several hours. Acoustic guitars and singing.
It's like the L1C on steroids.... Very lush and enveloping sound..

I'd say it's just "more" of what many of us love about the sound of the L1C.
It's bigger and better! PLus the Mix App is very cool allowing control from iPhone or iPad.

NICE Jake!!! Ya know, I haven't even tried it with the S1 Pro yet but I'll bet they play well together!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-16-2020, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Every gig I’ve played with professional sound techs they bring the sound into the monitors first getting the mix right for you, then final step bring in the mains and adjust the master. Not having a master vol isn't very professional. Will the new Bose Pro line even be able to use the t1 - can anyone find out?...
The answer is, yes with a limitation. The T1 can be powered by the the Tonematch cable when connected into a Pro, but it will not carry the signal. For that, you have to run a 1/4-inch out of the T1 and into one of the Pro combo inputs. This was the answer from a Bose rep at the support forum.

Great to see JakeStone's post!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification