The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-19-2023, 10:16 AM

Default Studio Needs in an Acoustic

I want an acoustic that's tight and wooly. What kinda woods should I be looking for? Any models for comparison....

Thanks y'all
Old 05-19-2023, 10:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

An Eastern Black Walnut with a spruce top. I am assuming you meant woody

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 05-19-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
An Eastern Black Walnut with a spruce top. I am assuming you meant woody
I'm thinking of the midrange frequency often referred to as 'woolly'
Old 05-19-2023, 02:14 PM

I'm sorry, but all I can think of is the line from Bull Durham "Women don't get wooly, they get weary!"
Old 05-19-2023, 03:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I'm thinking of the midrange frequency often referred to as 'woolly'
Sorry, I haven’t heard someone actually looking for a woolly sounding guitar. Skip the spruce on walnut suggestion!

m

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 05-19-2023, 03:49 PM
Guitar Gourmet

How about a Martin OM-28? The body is rosewood/spruce, it is very responsive, and it has a midrange that might just be called wooly.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-19-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
How about a Martin OM-28? The body is rosewood/spruce, it is very responsive, and it has a midrange that might just be called wooly.

Bob
Cool, I'll check it out.

My first thought was a Mahogany body. Something that's opposite to Maple's clarity of every note in a chord.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:47 PM

To get a bit more info out there, i play with a pick and have a percussive style, with an emphasis on pick attack.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
To get a bit more info out there, i play with a pick and have a percussive style, with an emphasis on pick attack.

Is that an aggressive and hard pick attack most of the time or moderate? Mostly fast playing or both fast and slow? Rhythm chording or single line lead or line lead wrapped into the chording? Are you percussive tapping the top like a drum for rhythm drive?

What is your price point...preferred to spend, and max to spend?

Is there any recorded song you can point us to that is the sound that you are hearing that you want to emulate in your studio recording? And an audio or video example of you playing so we can hear/see what you do?

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 05-19-2023 at 10:10 PM. Reason: add and remove content
Old 05-20-2023, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Is that an aggressive and hard pick attack most of the time or moderate? Mostly fast playing or both fast and slow? Rhythm chording or single line lead or line lead wrapped into the chording? Are you percussive tapping the top like a drum for rhythm drive?

What is your price point...preferred to spend, and max to spend?

Is there any recorded song you can point us to that is the sound that you are hearing that you want to emulate in your studio recording? And an audio or video example of you playing so we can hear/see what you do?
All great questions. I know I'm being vague. I was looking at other threads on here, talk of the Waterloo W12. I need to try that one. The description on their site got me thinking, and maybe what I need is something like a cigar box guitar. Anything come to mind y'all? I want dry, focused, midrange

I guess my price point is 4-5k. As far as the style, there are no references, I'm hoping that I'm onto something original, dare I say it. It's just mid-tempo, I guess. Mainly strumming w/ single notes threaded in when needed. Muted strums for percussive accent. No body taps. My pick attack sounds like the drum part and I want to be playing something that compliments it. Heavily blues influenced, but my own way.

However, I'm not sure if some of these elements of the tone can better gotten in post...the mix. It be nice to have it all self contained, but I don't wanna over think (haha, ya right). I'd be just as pleased with a great guitar that inspires me, but needs some icing before it goes on the party table.

**EDIT**
I've been playing my Telecaster unplugged when writing, which has to be, in some way, influencing my tone wants.
Old 05-20-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
All great questions. I know I'm being vague. I was looking at other threads on here, talk of the Waterloo W12. I need to try that one. The description on their site got me thinking, and maybe what I need is something like a cigar box guitar. Anything come to mind y'all? I want dry, focused, midrange

I guess my price point is 4-5k. As far as the style, there are no references, I'm hoping that I'm onto something original, dare I say it. It's just mid-tempo, I guess. Mainly strumming w/ single notes threaded in when needed. Muted strums for percussive accent. No body taps. My pick attack sounds like the drum part and I want to be playing something that compliments it. Heavily blues influenced, but my own way.

However, I'm not sure if some of these elements of the tone can better gotten in post...the mix. It be nice to have it all self contained, but I don't wanna over think (haha, ya right). I'd be just as pleased with a great guitar that inspires me, but needs some icing before it goes on the party table.

**EDIT**
I've been playing my Telecaster unplugged when writing, which has to be, in some way, influencing my tone wants.
I suggest a Gibson J 45 or something similar. The mid range is accentuated, the attack is highlighted and they have much less sustain than say a Martin OM.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:45 AM

You should try something all mahogany, such as models in the Martin 15 lineup. Powerful midrange, respond well to harder pick attack. I'm quite fond of my 00-15.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-20-2023, 09:58 AM

Studio quality, opposite of maple. Yea, that's a J45, right?
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 05-20-2023, 10:04 AM

with the budget and the "Studio" thang - an SJ200 would reign supreme

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-20-2023, 10:21 AM

Really can’t go wrong with a D18 or J-45 for mahogany “wooliness”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop