The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2023, 05:52 PM

Default NGD: Gibson 1939 J-55 reissue. Need advice.

Was in the market for a D-18 authentic but ended up preferring the neck on the J-55 above everything else.

https://imgur.com/a/BrfV40A

I had a discount code so I ordered direct from Gibson. Big thumbs down for Gibson's choice to ship their guitars in fully-branded boxes - when I picked it up at UPS the security seal had been broken (clearly opened by hand). I double checked and fortunately everything was there. I guess some thief was looking to steal an ES. Reminder for people to not just check for damage to the box before signing, inspect all the seals as well.

Plays fantastic right out of the box, no dead zones, etc. As you would hope for a guitar that costs $5k msrp. However there is a fairly large finish blemish on the bottom that I'm contemplating returning it over:

https://imgur.com/a/FNrqDy0 (the discolored patch)

Part of me wants to just deal with it because I don't care that much, but at a guitar priced this high this kind of issue shouldn't exist. To me that's a B-stock issue. I don't expect to get a perfect fit and finish from Gibson's custom shop even at this price, but that's a pretty big blemish. On the other hand, it means I have to go through the headache of potentially dealing with shipping issues or the next guitar having issues. What do you all think?
Old 01-19-2023, 06:58 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Is this part of the Historic series? If so, they have super thin finishes. Almost looks and feels like they are aged. I have a ‘34 Jumbo and in that same area you photographed mine feels just a bit rough. Color is fine. Just a little gritty. No biggie. I don’t even consider it a flaw. Just the mojo of a great guitar.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 01-19-2023 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-19-2023, 07:28 PM

Yeah Rev, it's the historic series. I don't expect a homogenous finish that is immaculate (I expect it to get very worn over time) but at the same time the wear seems like an obvious error in the finishing process rather than natural wear.

There are some other mild imperfections in the finish that it doesn't bother me because they'll go away in time.

If I could return it and get one that is the same as this without that weird patch I'd be very happy. But it feels like rolling the dice. The breaks when it comes to buying a guitar online that's not from sweetwater (where you can get pics of the actual guitar before buying it), but I got a significant discount on it through Gibson's website.

Fantastic guitar though, super happy with all other aspects of it. The case it came with is a little cheap so I'm looking for something better for it. Realized it's not really a dreadnaught shape, they call it the 'advanced jumbo' or something. I guess it's technically a slope shoulder?

I should add it's not a discoloring in the stain or wood but a change in texture in the nitro finish. Almost like someone used something abrasive at that spot. I had the light hit it for the picture so it would show.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:32 PM

Looks like a great guitar to me.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:43 PM

Beautiful guitar, I'm sure it sounds wonderful.

I wonder if that's something that could be repaired under warranty.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 01-19-2023, 07:46 PM

If it sounds great now, I would keep it and play the heck out of it! it will only get better with time and play.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Looks like a great guitar to me.
thanks, it's the result of a ~4 year search for a high end acoustic.

Quote:
I wonder if that's something that could be repaired under warranty
Well it is brand new, I think they'd just replace it? They have a 30 day return / replacement policy for any reason.

Quote:
If it sounds great now, I would keep it and play the heck out of it! it will only get better with time and play.
Yeah I'm glad it plays and sounds great.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmcross View Post

Well it is brand new, I think they'd just replace it? They have a 30 day return / replacement policy for any reason.
Maybe. Reading the Gibson warranty for my J-45 it says "Gibson will repair the defect(s) or replace the instrument, as it deems appropriate in its sole discretion"

I'd probably try to get someone on the phone and memorialize the conversation via email. If your goal is to keep this beautiful instrument then ask if they'll cover the cost of repair at an authorized repair place. I doubt that they've got a bunch of these in their inventory so it seems like that's the route they'd want to take as well.

Good luck!
Fender EJ Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion