The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-04-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Default One month in...

So I've had Ariel in my possession for a month now, and it continues to amaze me. The first week brought about many changes as it continued to blossom. This guitar has it all and seems to be able to handle style you can throw at it. I know that it will be a lifetime guitar for me. Many thanks again to Ben for creating this masterpiece for me!

Just a reminder that this guitar will be at BIG(er), in a couple of weeks, and I invite all who are attending to try this guitar out for themselves--you won't be disappointed.

This past weekend my son came up to help celebrate my 60th birthday. It was a real joy to get to jam with him and take my Wilborns out for a spin--special memories indeed...

Thanks again to all who commented and followed along...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-04-2020, 03:47 PM

The smiles in that picture says it all. Really hoping my sons enjoy music when they grow so I can share with them in this way
Old 03-04-2020, 04:36 PM

That is an example of the perfect dad, the kid gets the new guitar and dad graciously plays the old....lol.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:34 PM

This photo says it all, and I get the exact same look whenever someone asks about the guitar I built, and the experience of the course I took!

Ben, I am so in love with this design, and as I mentioned on Facebook, you now need to build a Baritone version!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 03-04-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That is an example of the perfect dad, the kid gets the new guitar and dad graciously plays the old....lol.
I was like, "Dang, he looks younger than his son. Oh, wait a minute. ;-)"

Yes, Dad of the Year!!
Old 03-05-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Congrats Nemoman! I don't know how I missed this build thread, but it was a very fun read. Of course I love the Cocobolo, and that Tunnel 14 redwood top is special.

Enjoy!!!

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 03-05-2020, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Default The Arum

Kevin, so great to see you and your son making some music together on your Wilborn guitars. Looking forward to catching up and seeing your Arum in person, its a beauty!
Old 05-11-2023, 07:18 AM

So in resurrecting a 3 1/2 year old thread, I was watching this video on YT just now. I am one of Mr. Ben Wilborn's subscribers.

He mentioned radial bracing and I did a quick search for it and this thread came up.

I noted the black saddle in the video (graphite?), and the tone from the guitar is incredible.

How has the instrument improved in the last 3.5 years? I've also contemplated how a guitar would sound with something other than spruce bracing, and seeing the tunnel 14 back braces is pretty darn cool!
2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 05-11-2023, 09:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

"I noted the black saddle in the video (graphite?), and the tone from the guitar is incredible."

Thank you for breathing life into this old thread. The nut material is phenolic resin, and works pretty well for nuts and saddles. It is very uniform, of course, seems about as hard as bone, and has a nice musical chime when you drop a thin chunk of it on your workbench. I'm not sure if Kevin is still subscribed to this thread, but you would have to ask him about how the Arum is aging. I actually saw and played it last fall, and I thought it was sounding really good and structurally holding up very well.

I'm not sure if using the redwood for the braces makes much difference tonally to tell you the truth. They are about the same weight as the engelmann spruce I use as a default, and pretty similar in flex as well. Not all redwood is created equal- and in fact the span of quality (from unacceptable to very good) is much greater in that species than it is in any spruce species I have tested and used.
I still have a stash of T-14 brace stock, which tests and performs very well, but I am using spruce for the present.

Thanks for subscribing to my YouTube channel!
Old 05-12-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
"I noted the black saddle in the video (graphite?), and the tone from the guitar is incredible."

Thank you for breathing life into this old thread. The nut material is phenolic resin, and works pretty well for nuts and saddles. It is very uniform, of course, seems about as hard as bone, and has a nice musical chime when you drop a thin chunk of it on your workbench. I'm not sure if Kevin is still subscribed to this thread, but you would have to ask him about how the Arum is aging. I actually saw and played it last fall, and I thought it was sounding really good and structurally holding up very well.

I'm not sure if using the redwood for the braces makes much difference tonally to tell you the truth. They are about the same weight as the engelmann spruce I use as a default, and pretty similar in flex as well. Not all redwood is created equal- and in fact the span of quality (from unacceptable to very good) is much greater in that species than it is in any spruce species I have tested and used.
I still have a stash of T-14 brace stock, which tests and performs very well, but I am using spruce for the present.

Thanks for subscribing to my YouTube channel!
Thank you for your wisdom and counsel, Ben! And I hope your channel takes off like a rocket.
2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 05-12-2023, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Wow--what a nice surprise to see this thread pop up again!

This Arum (which I have named Ariel) continues to be a joy to look at and play. The cello-like sounds which she produces were evident from the start and continue to develop and impress me. It by no means sounds like a small guitar--the tone is full and rich and resonate. The sounds envelops you as you play...

I urge anyone that hasn't experienced playing one of Ben's Comma series guitar to check one out and see and hear what all the fuss is about--they are amazing guitars!

Thanks for resurrecting this thread--it made my day to look back through and experience the fun all over again!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-12-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--what a nice surprise to see this thread pop up again!

This Arum (which I have named Ariel) continues to be a joy to look at and play. The cello-like sounds which she produces were evident from the start and continue to develop and impress me. It by no means sounds like a small guitar--the tone is full and rich and resonate. The sounds envelops you as you play...

I urge anyone that hasn't experienced playing one of Ben's Comma series guitar to check one out and see and hear what all the fuss is about--they are amazing guitars!

Thanks for resurrecting this thread--it made my day to look back through and experience the fun all over again!
HIJACK...I agree, you must play them to really know as the sound does truly wrap around you like you are in a bubble, just you and the guitar all the while you are still projecting to your audience in some mystical magical way. Of course the very best way to experience Ben and his guitars is the 3 day B.I.G. show in Sept. Heck, Ben will even take you out to dinner (well maybe not, but I will get you an all you can eat BBQ lunch!)!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop