The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-11-2020, 02:47 PM

Default From acoustic to electric comparison question

Wondering what the benefits are going from a high end acoustic guitar used for strumming to a high end electric with humbuckers used for strumming into a decent amp with effects pedals. Typically the acoustic guitar has fewer overtones than an electric. The action on an electric using smaller gauge strings is easier on the fingers than a nice acoustic set up well.
What other benefits are there moving from acoustic to electric given that both are comparable high end guitars set up properly and the player is an accomplished player on both types of guitars.

Last edited by hotroad; 02-11-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:35 PM

No "benefits" for going one way or the other. IMHO, these are two different animals. The similarities are merely the notes on the fingerboards are in the same place and you play both of them with your hands.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:42 PM

Yeah, they are different animals. I would say though that for a clean strumming sound, an electric guitar with single coils might sound better...that's my preference anyway. Single coils have a more natural sound and with clean tones (i.e. not using high gain settings) you don't have to worry about hum...no hum to buck .

Playing an electric for a bit may give your hands a bit of a break. It is possible to get an acoustic set up well where it doesn't have to be so rough on your hands. Years ago I brought the action on my acoustic down and I never looked back.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
No "benefits" for going one way or the other. IMHO, these are two different animals. The similarities are merely the notes on the fingerboards are in the same place and you play both of them with your hands.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^ But, there are many advantages with playing electric.
For example, one electric guitar can have a million tones to it when considering amp modeling and effects. You can play any guitar loud. But any Electric Guitar IS loud. Electrics can be more comfortable to play. They're small compared to acoustics. Electrics are easier to fret a note but, overall, electrics have a finer touch than acoustics. Banging on an acoustic is very different than banging on an electric. Pro's and cons. As I've gotten older, my acoustic was causing shoulder problems. All the acoustic guitars are gone. I've gone all electric and the only pain I've experienced has been ringing ears.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Wondering what the benefits are going from a high end acoustic guitar used for strumming to a high end electric with humbuckers used for strumming into a decent amp with effects pedals. Typically the acoustic guitar has fewer overtones than an electric. The action on an electric using smaller gauge strings is easier on the fingers than a nice acoustic set up well.
What other benefits are there moving from acoustic to electric given that both are comparable high end guitars set up properly and the player is an accomplished player on both types of guitars.
This is indeed an unusual, perhaps odd, question, but I'm taking it as sincere and trying to answer. As usual when I write this kind of answer, you may already know some of this, and if so, my apologies.

The chief reason that electric guitars became a thing is that there are few issues with whatever volume you need to achieve in performance situations. Some of the early designs also greatly improved the ruggedness and reparability of working instruments (the Fender Telecaster).

Since that time there has been more technology allowing acoustic guitar amplification which retains more of the acoustic guitar sound at higher volumes, but these original electric benefits are still a factor. Of course electric guitars don't sound like an acoustic guitar in a room or recording, a way many of us experience our acoustic guitars and love the sound they make.

A few acoustic guitarists have worked at extending the expected timbre of the acoustic guitar, but another benefit is that the electric guitar's sound is more easily modified to produce a number of sounds.

Another benefit mentioned in your question is that because the electric guitar is much less dependent on the energy of it's strings to produce audible sound, so a lighter touch and lower tension strings are not much of a penalty.

Not stated in your premise, but something I believe it's true: a "high end" electric guitar in terms of materials and lutherie skills is less important in producing pleasing sounds. Of course (as per the long-standing debate) the player is important with either acoustic or electric, but the percentage derived from the instrument itself in either practical and theoretical ways is less on an electric guitar in my judgement.

Instead of this longer reply I considered just being glib: what's the difference between playing a chord on a fine grand piano and a Hammond B3--or large pipe organ?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 PM

I will 2nd what most have already said. Two different beasts. If you try playing a electric guitar the same way as you do an acoustic you will likely find the results displeasing to the ear.

Boom-chucka strummin' just don't work so well on an electric. I also agree that if you want clean "strummed" sounds out of an electric - that is better suited to single coils or archtops.

The main benefit is that they are played so differently, that it will increase you're learning curve on the acoustic in many ways.

As Frank has also stated, getting a great sound out of an electric is more about the pickups, amp and signal chain. Moving from a $250 acoustic to a $500 one will yield less tone improvements than that some move in an electric.

If you really want to see how differently these guitars are played, I encourage you to watch Chris Stapleton flat-pick while playing with the Steeldrivers versus his electric work on his solo debut. The difference are HUGE and will reveal themselves quickly.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-11-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I honestly don’t see any benefits to such a switch over - the acoustic guitar excels at strumming, producing a complex swirl of overtones while the electric is much more suited to single note, single string, partial chords etc and is able to produce a wall of sound with more subtle action.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:49 PM

As mentioned many times, acoustics and electrics are two distinct instruments. Each have their merits.

An acoustic can give an amazing strumming tone that an electric cannot come close to. An electric with a little bit of gain can be amazing.

One thing, an electric guitar amp is going to be significant in the tone that you'll get so you need to make sure you find one that suits you. A $2000 guitar through a crappy amp will sound terrible. A $200 guitar through a great amp can sound wonderful.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:09 PM

i agree with the above posts- my thoughts are the benefits, difference on electric/electric- meaning are you going to deal with humbuckers or single coils
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-12-2020, 01:30 PM

Last night at electric blues band practice I played Deep River on my PRS with Soap Bar P 90s. It was clear and clean, the perfect electric vehicle to transform Doc Watson’s classic into a modern interpretation.

I think that instead of Humbuckers one can use P 90s, lipstick tube pups, or gold foil style for the clean sound.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Last night at electric blues band practice I played Deep River on my PRS with Soap Bar P 90s. It was clear and clean, the perfect electric vehicle to transform Doc Watson’s classic into a modern interpretation.

I think that instead of Humbuckers one can use P 90s, lipstick tube pups, or gold foil style for the clean sound.
I love P90 pickups! They give nice clarity with a good amount of punch if you need it.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

The only what I would call a 'benefit" is perhaps less hard on the fretting hand finger tips

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
acoustic, comparison, electric