The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2018, 08:56 PM

I am 69 and workout 5 days a week. I always enjoyed it and even placed 3rd. At age 40 in trip state Natural Bodybuilding Competition. I am a lightweight at 160 but know my limits and adjust my training for my age. I can still play for 2 hours everyday. Eating correct is hard but I do my best.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:42 PM

I'm 67 and unless I'm going to live to 134 or so I don't consider myself to be mid life anything. That being said, all the injuries I received in my youth through my 40s have come home to roost and the other day my daughter gave me the "you took care of me and now I'm going to take care of you" talk.

Could be worse.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 AM

Keep your nose and ear hair trimmed.

Last edited by AX17609; 09-23-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
For those of you that have faced your Mid-Life Reality, your words of wisdom please.
To give you a real answer - You can't dwell on it.

I tried and it's not beneficial to anybody.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-23-2018, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Maintain your health and tend to your responsibilities . . . . . but never to the degree that you actually grow up.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:37 AM

I turn 64 next month, and I'm pretty healthy for my age. I try to
stay active and constantly live in learning mode.

To keep fit I play hockey twice a week, play two or three gigs a week, and when they come my way, work a few shoots as an eng cameraman(semi retired) covering sports news.

My philosophy is to ignore the age thing and keep pushing. I would rather die doing something I enjoy than to wait around to die of something I hate. Quality over quantity in all things, including life!

I'll be better next time around.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Get enough sleep, exercise aerobically 5 times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes, and eat no processed or fast foods (prepare your own meals).
+1 - some great advice, Cat.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 AM

When I retired a year ago, I decided to re-visit something I did a lot in my younger days, fishing. Other than a little stiffness after a day of casting, I am doing it better and at a higher level than any time in my life.

I don't want to do things that make me pine for the good old days or remind me how much better I was 40 years ago. I do like that I can now afford the equipment that was out of reach my younger days and using fine equipment is an enjoyment in itself. Plus, it gets me up before dawn and gets me outdoors and I spend more time wondering about the age of the fish than my own.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:58 AM

Default Mid-Life Reality

Simple words to live by.
Keep your gratitude greater than your expectations.
Make each day an adventure.
It’s worked for me for the last 30+ years. I’ll be 56 this week and I just set a PR for a 50k trail race.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:26 AM

There's certainly a lot of good stuff here (no surprise). For the record, I'm 62.
I can only echo what others have said and works well for me.

First of all....enjoy your life. Most of us have worked pretty hard to get where we're at now. Reap the fruits of your labor and the lessons of your mistakes.

Enjoy your family - go places and do things you haven't done before. I'm not talking travel the world, just smaller different things.

Stay active - push yourself a little. Like others here, I work out 5 days a week and play golf the other 2 (along with the usual yard work etc.). The point is not that I'm an iron man, it's that the exercise is my source of energy. It keeps me going - when I miss for a week, the difference is amazing.

Oh yeah.......learn new songs and play lots of guitar....good for the soul!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For those of you that have faced your Mid-Life Reality, your words of wisdom please.
For me it's simple ... continue to set goals and accept challenges. "It's easier not to" is an attitude that can creep into one's life and then one day it's all that's left.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 09-23-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazervalley View Post
That is excellent, kudos to you Imwjl. But be honest, is your excellent weight management because your mom is a lousy cook?
My mom is a good cook. My mother in law was a chef in France and Holland before a chef here. She with my wife are always making things few can top. We're very disciplined about when we have the calories and when not. We walk or bike for errands when possible in addition to doing dedicated exercise.

A wonderful round of seasonal baking just finished but breakfast was a low fat and low cal affair. Lunch will be lean, fruits, veggies, bread, cheese and allow for that baking. 1-3 hours of this beautiful fall day will be a trail or groad ride.

We have amazing eats, baked goods, chocolate and more around all the time. We just watch portions, do quality prep, and do physical activities.

This is like learning music or another language. You have to stay at it. When it's part of your lifestyle it's easy. When I feel a 20 - 50 pound difference with what I carry biking or hiking I wonder why people are so foolish to carry weight they can't get rid of in a hurry.

Less weight and elevated hear rate in a good way are really simple ways to make your body and brain feel better.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Good nutritional food is very important. I made a little joke about your mom and food because you state your location is in your mom's basement. Just being a little playful that's all.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 09-23-2018, 01:45 PM

Regular exercise. But monitored carefully so as not to injure yourself from trying to keep up with yourself at age 20 or 30.

Same with music practice. Glucosamine when your finger joints hurt.

You're going to die. So what? What to do about that depends on your belief as to a personal afterlife. If you don't believe in one, all you need to do is arrange things to keep you as happy and comfortable as possible while you're here, and your partner and/or descendants the same when you go.

And, if you're not familiar with this song, listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IOM...=RD5IOMdtYlxMA
Old 09-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I recently turned 60. For me I think I'm entering a midlife reality. Some may call it a crisis, it's not...yet. I've always been semi active and now know that what I can do today I may not be able to do tomorrow. I have for set myself a goal for this coming spring of hiking a trail that goes around a mountain. The trail is about 41 miles long. I wish I had did this many years ago and did it many times. As of right now, I'm not a picture of physical beauty but I'm working on gaining some endurance.

I act immature to compensate

Seriously---- think young..... to be young (with a bit less gusto)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic