The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-25-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I hope you don't mind Bruce, if I give an answer to the question from a different perspective. I am assuming (quite dangerous) the question was about the placing of the tentellones without any method of clamping them in place. I assumed the sides would be dimensioned to fit on the dish so the sides sit vertically without angling in at the center. I have used the same method as Bruce of building on the top and have shaped the sides to fit into the dish. I glue the sides to the neck and end blocks and when they are dry it is just a time consuming (although very pleasant time) dabbing a bit of hide glue to the block, put in place and hold for a time then continue on with the next one. No clamping is needed. I have tried one guitar with Titebond instead of hide glue after Bruce did his daughter's guitar with it. I don't have quite the warm and fuzzy feeling using the Titebond as I do with the hide glue. Bruce said it holds fine, mine has not fallen apart yet so I have no reason to doubt it.
Indeed, this was my question. Poorly phrased I guess. I was wondering if anyone trusted the blocks glued in without clamps as an old fashioned glue block was on a piece of furniture. And "tadol" has answered the other part- if the block could be cut at 90 degrees and still fit. I admit I like my mold and dish that I can use to "grind" my bindings to a perfect fit. But I've begin to covet Bruce's "moldless" approach, and I like the notion of individual tentelones for the top.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Now - if I could only get him to edit videos - Oh, well - I’m happy with the guitars -
Oh Man, it was going so well until that dig. Not that you're wrong about any of it.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgr40 View Post
Indeed, this was my question. Poorly phrased I guess. I was wondering if anyone trusted the blocks glued in without clamps as an old fashioned glue block was on a piece of furniture. And "tadol" has answered the other part- if the block could be cut at 90 degrees and still fit. I admit I like my mold and dish that I can use to "grind" my bindings to a perfect fit. But I've begin to covet Bruce's "moldless" approach, and I like the notion of individual tentelones for the top.
The Peone can only work at 90 degrees if the top is dead flat AND the sides are reliably plumb to the top. While theoretically possibly, I believe the reality is unlikely. When I say 91 degrees, I mean over 90 enough to guarantee that the peone does not rock when placed. The actual angle will vary with your actual guitar's geometry. NEVER glue in anything with a sprung end, it will eventually pop loose. IMO, of course.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The Peone can only work at 90 degrees if the top is dead flat AND the sides are reliably plumb to the top. While theoretically possibly, I believe the reality is unlikely. When I say 91 degrees, I mean over 90 enough to guarantee that the peone does not rock when placed. The actual angle will vary with your actual guitar's geometry. NEVER glue in anything with a sprung end, it will eventually pop loose. IMO, of course.

91-92 degrees, I don't care. This post by Bruce has me feeling mightly fine. When I asked my question on page one, I spelled the little buggers as peone as a guess from memory. Since then I had seen two different names completely and nothing close to what I had spelled. I was just about to go back tonight and edit my spelling and the Voila, Bruce spells it as I had. YIPEEE ME!!!!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

I think that “tentalone” is probably the proper name, and “peone”, which I am told means “little thing”, is the familiar (slang) form. I learned of the object in the most casual of situations, so peone suits me just fine.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 AM

I thought "peone" was that bush growing in the yard.
In kentucky/southern indiana, I think I better stick with glue block to have any chance somebody might know what I am talking about.
I think I will try one without the mold this summer. I like that the top plate might be a bit more free.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Peony -
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E82043E1-FB4D-4C01-BA19-979487249F10.jpeg (29.0 KB, 353 views)
Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 AM

Ahh, peony. Would be covered in little ants here no matter the name.
Your description of the little wood blocks, "tadol" has been most helpful.
Thanks
Old 05-01-2018, 07:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

I got slowed down a bit by not liking the Abalone I had acquired for the top purfling. I should have called JoAnn at Rescue Pearl the first time as she came across very nicely. Ordered on Friday, custom cut and delivered regular mail on Monday! Yay team.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yesterday I had an old friend visit the shop. As I write this guitar is 14 years old. I neglected to document it when new, so I took a few pictures yesterday when it came in for a tune up, which it did not need, it is as solid as the day I delivered it. This is one of the first 00 sized OM's I made for Eric, a very good idea we have repeated quite a few times, though rarely are they done up style 40 like this one.

I finally made a page for this gem on my website HERE, and here are a couple of the pictures:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 05-03-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

That is really a beautiful guitar, Bruce!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:48 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Yesterday I had an old friend visit the shop. As I write this guitar is 14 years old.

I'll bet that "Schoenberg" sounds great after 14 years of playing.

I also like the pearl. Don't paint the top on that one black, okay?

JR
Old 05-04-2018, 06:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I also like the pearl. Don't paint the top on that one black, okay?

JR
Looks like the black has gotten started there in the lower right corner!

In other news, I have completed Ben McKee's body and am ready to get on to the neck . . . except I am once again hosting an NCAL meeting this Sunday and MUST clean up a bit for it. Then it's pack for La Conner followed closely by a week of driving there and back with the show itself sandwiched in the middle. Then I have a Most Esteemed Client coming in to spec out his build. He'll be around for a week, in the middle of which he'll probably go visit Ben Wilborn in Reno while I watch my daughter graduate from college. THEN I get to the neck on this puppy!

Let me entertain/bore you with a little more evidence of the progress:

Old 05-04-2018, 07:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

I took a new order today and I am excited to say I will be building a serious classical guitar for someone. I am not booked as far out as some of the peers, and expect to get to this one before the year end.

Not a new customer, he has traded in one of his 3 long owned Sexauers as the deposit. This has long been one of my favorite guitars, and I am confident that it will not be long before I find a buyer who agrees.

I plan to take this to La Conner with me and price it a bit under what Eric Schoenberg sold it for in his shop in 2004. That's 2 price increases ago so it's a very dull roar, though still not the cheap seats. This Schoenberg Soloist (OM) is in very close to perfect condition, as you can see here:

Old 05-04-2018, 07:13 PM

LOL, seems like quite a schedule...Make sure you are ready for the most esteemed client, I hear through the grapevine that he can be quite demanding, at least that is what his significant other told me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop