The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Starting from scratch can can sure put a dent in the budget.(20+ pedals in a four week span)
Holy cow, 20+ pedals in 4 weeks?! That's gotta require some sort of intervention Bob, haha! Thinking about the pedals on my board, I've put some serious money into something that I stomp on with my foot all the time. Come to think of it, the Boomerang III looper, as expensive as it is, has probably solely given me the ability to play gigs and earn all the money back at least 4 fold just this holiday season.

My biggest advice to the OP is not to buy any pedals new...ever. If you join thegearpage.net (TGP) forum, there are hundred (maybe millions) of pedals on sale in the classifieds. Out of the 8 pedals that I have, only 4 of them are new. They were my first 4 pedals, and if I had known any better, I would've saved half my money and bought them used!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM

I love pedal board pics!!! I've got a TU-2 on my board as well. In addition to tuning, I like using it as a mute button as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I love pedal board pics!!! I've got a TU-2 on my board as well. In addition to tuning, I like using it as a mute button as well.
You should check out all the cool designs people have done on this thread:
HOMEMADE PEDALBOARD pics
Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Holy cow, 20+ pedals in 4 weeks?! That's gotta require some sort of intervention Bob, haha!
Too late.

Yeah, I had no pedalboards, so I decided to build two; one for acoustic,,, and one for electric guitars.

Acoustic-gig pedal-board;

PedalTrain Jr. S.C. w/ CIOKS DC-10 power-supply and Evidence Audio wiring. Pedals are TC Helicon VoiceLive Play, Radial PZ-Pre, PolyTune2, FlashBack delay, Corona chorus, and Hall-of-Fame reverb, Ditto looper (maybe). I may add a fuzz or o'drive to that board, but not sure yet.

Electric-guitar board;

PT.2 S.C. w/VooDoo Labs 4x4, and Evidence Audio wiring. Strymon Big-Sky and Mobius, FlashBack-X4, Xotic SL Lead, Xotic SP comp, Xotic BB+ pre/boost, JHS Mini-Bomb clean-boost, RockBox Boiling-Point, Empress Fuzz, Empress Germ-Drive, Empress distortion, Turbo-Tuner, Ibanez TS-9, BOSS DS-1, and a few extra tuners (two PolyTune Mini's and a Pitch-Black) and an extra power-supply (T-Rex FuelTank Jr.) Also, a Holy-Grail Plus. Which ones actually get on the board, remains to be seen. It'll probably take months to sort it all out.

That's 28 in all,,,,, but,,,,,, I already had the PZ-Pre, DS-1, TS-9, and Holy Grail Plus, and FuelTank Jr.

Last edited by Bobby1note; 02-19-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
PedalTrain Jr. S.C. w/ CIOKS DC-10 power-supply and Evidence Audio wiring. Pedals are TC Helicon VoiceLive Play, Radial PZ-Pre, PolyTune2, FlashBack delay, Corona chorus, and Hall-of-Fame reverb, Ditto looper (maybe). I may add a fuzz or o'drive to that board, but not sure yet.
This sounds like an awesome rig! I'd love to plug my uke into this and see what I could do with it, haha! Bring that to Guam Bob!

Care to share a picture of your two boards for us?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I'm almost ruing the day I decided to get into pedals,,,, I couldda bought myself a brand new Tone-King Sky King, or a Carr Rambler or Viceroy,,,, and still had a huge chunka change left in my pocket.

Oh well, the worst is over now. I just got the last bill for my recent pedal binge, and it's time to start looking over the horizon. Starting from scratch can can sure put a dent in the budget.(20+ pedals in a four week span)
You sir, have a problem

But there could be far worse things to get into so... It's all good.

I agree with the poster that said buy used. You can save a tone that way and the funny thing is I found out not too long ago that the Boss DD-2 and CE-2 that I bought used back in about '95 for $30 bucks each go for 5 times that now on eBay

And you can always sell stuff off to support your habit, which reminds me I have a bunch I have not used in forever.

Having said that it's kind of cool to just keep the stuff and rediscover it one day. The first pedal I ever bought was a DOD Classic Tube. I think it was supposed to be like a Tube Screamer or something. Being a dumb kid in a punk band I just cranked the thing up thinking it sounded good till I got better and thought it sounded horrible. That was in about 1990. almost 24 years later I cleaned it up and it's now a major player on my board.

Most of my overdrive and distortion pedals have the gain almost completely off.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 PM

I'm terrible for not selling things. I guess I'm just a born pack-rat. About 25 years ago, I thought I'd get into electric guitars for a change. I went out and bought a DigiTech GSP-21 Pro, with foot-controller, and I found it in a closet a couple of months back. The electric-guitar thing just didn't take hold. All of my buddies play acoustic, so there ya go.

Lately though, we've been having more and more electric-guitar jams at my place, so just maybe, it'll take flight this time around. I've already got a bunch of electric guitars and amps, so the possibilities are there. I just don't know if I can think like an electric-guitar player, after 50 years of doing mostly acoustic finger-style; much of it on nylon-stringed guitars.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
This sounds like an awesome rig! I'd love to plug my uke into this and see what I could do with it, haha! Bring that to Guam Bob!

Care to share a picture of your two boards for us?
Joe, I'll try to take some pics today. Nothing's wired up yet, and I still need some spare "feet" to raise my pedal-boards, for under-mounting the power-supplies. I also need a few right-angled XLR connectors, to wire up some cables for the Voice-LivePlay, and the PZ-Pre. Anyway, I'll try to take pics of the "proposed" layouts.

Now, if I can only find my camera,,,,,
Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
You should check out all the cool designs people have done on this thread:
HOMEMADE PEDALBOARD pics
Some great ones there. I think I saw that thread a couple of years ago, back when I was researching pedals.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Joe, I'll try to take some pics today. Nothing's wired up yet, and I still need some spare "feet" to raise my pedal-boards, for under-mounting the power-supplies. I also need a few right-angled XLR connectors, to wire up some cables for the Voice-LivePlay, and the PZ-Pre. Anyway, I'll try to take pics of the "proposed" layouts.

Now, if I can only find my camera,,,,,
OK, as promised, I took a few pics; problem is, I can't post them for some reason. I can email the images, but can't post them to the web. When I hit "post to the web", I get an invalid link to MSN Groups, with no other option. Hmmmmm.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 PM

"6L6, How are you using the tremolo? Are you using it for acoustic-guitar, or electric-guitar only…?"

Bobby: I use this same setup for both electric and acoustic. I cover lots of tunes from the 50/60's that use Tremolo (my all-time favorite effect).

And, of course, I use it to finish off Link Wray's "RUMBLE"!!!

Bill
Old 02-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Posting these pictures for Bobby1note:

Last edited by joeguam; 02-20-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:

This 1st pic is the proposed acoustic-guitar board. An o'drive or Fuzz will be added.

This image shows the electric-guitar pedals that may or may not make it onto that board. As you can see, there's a few spare tuners (polytune mini, polytune2, Korg Pitch-Black, and Turbo-Tuner. The tiny red pedal on the far left, is a JHS Mini-Bomb clean-boost.

This image shows what's currently going on the electric board. lower left is an Empress Fuzz, and RockBox Boiling-Point. Middle of back row includes an Xotic SL, Xotic BB+ pre-amp/boost, and Xotic SP Compressor. The pedals on the bottom right are an Empress Germ-Drive, and a Sonic research Turbo-Tuner. The larger pedals are Strymon BigSky, Strymon Mobius, and FlashBack x-4
Thanks for your help Joe, much appreciated.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:

and this, is what those pedals will be heard through. This is one corner of the music room. On the bottom center, are a pair of Yorkville LS801P subs, flanked by a pair of Yorkville LS720P subs. The center row cluster, is a pair of Yorkville U15P 15" 3-way speakers, flanked by a pair of Yorkville EF500PB's. Top row is four Yorkville NX55P's. (not shown here, a 2nd pair of EF500PB's, and four more NX55P's). Drums are Premier (made in England). Boogie B-400 w/twin 15"'s in background, and on the lower left, a stack of compact Yorkville bass-amps. (50w/ 100w)
Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM

As promised, here's my current pedalboard setup:

The custom interface pedal (with the slippers on it) I built myself to handle the 6 external connections in one location. I added the power switch to make it simple to power on/off during setup/teardown.

The left switch of the LR Baggs Venue DI is a boost pedal which I kick for ever lead or solo. I usually kick this at least 5 times per song. The right switch of the TC Helicon G-XT is the vocal harmony switch that I kick at least 10 times per song as I only like harmonies on phrases, not the entire song. The little mooer ABY is what I used to switch back/forth between guitar and uke.

Last edited by joeguam; 02-23-2014 at 05:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars