The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-09-2016, 08:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Steve! Still diggin' the dots, bro.
SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-09-2016, 10:47 PM

Besides the design, I love the overall color "scheme" and how all the hues blend together...
Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
If I had one of Joel's guitars in my hands, I doubt I would be getting ANY work done for the rest of this year.

I just finished flat-sanding the first round of lacquer coats; two more rounds of spraying/sanding to follow; then 3-4 weeks of cure time. And then comes the final assembly, fret work, nut and saddle, myriad other little details... I expect the first set of strings will grace this guitar in a month to five weeks. I've already had a couple of inquiries about the availability of this Siren, so I have a feeling it won't be hanging around here very long.
To be honest, I don't know how any of you luthiers get work done with the level of instruments you all build. If it were me, I would be both reluctant to see it leave + unable to put it down

I think your feeling is right. At this rate, we could probably expect something extraordinary for #101 too! Hahah

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-11-2016, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Awwwww, I missed my chance at being #100???!!!!

Ok, I'll settle for wherever I fall. Steve, your work, passion and appreciation for what you do, as well as those who do it with you, are inspiring. Thank you for sharing "you" on this forum.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-15-2016, 11:53 AM

Default Any couch will do

What's that song? Anita Baker:
You can jump on a speedy colt
cross the border in a blaze of hope
I don't care how you get here
Just get here if you can

Any couch will do for this beaut!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Mike, I promise, when we start your guitar, it will be the most important one in the world to me. Each one is. And you know, I got some amazing billets of Macassar Ebony to saw up, just so you could have a bewildering array of choices for your guitar. It's going to be a great guitar, and a very interesting journey, getting there. Count on it.

NowGibson- you got that right! Any couch will do.

I have just finished spraying the top coats of lacquer, and did the first round of wet-sanding today. It's looking great in every aspect. This guitar gives me a thrill every time I look at it. In less than a month, I expect, this Siren will be singing. That's gonna be a happy day.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quick update: The ES 75 Siren Style S is all put together, strung up, and singing like its namesake. This new guitar is truly a sonic marvel. I'm over the moon about it! It sounds a lot bigger than it is, with a lot of volume and projection, incredible sustain, lots of overtone content, even response, plenty of bass... I would gladly A/B this guitar with ANY 00 or 000 guitar. I hope to get that chance!

The 24.5"- 25" multiscale is a dream to play. I have it tuned to DADF#AD at the moment, and it performs like a champion, even with regular light gauge strings. The scoop-cutaway is so comfortable, too. It's very difficult to put this guitar back on the stand, and get some work done. Pure delight- that's what it is!

I'll post some photos of the finished Siren as soon as I get a chance. Right now, I'm juggling THREE brand new, freshly strung guitars. Also, the Siren is just three days out of the nest, and I'll still need to do the additional detailing, and after a reasonable settling-in time, I'll refine the setup. Although it's pretty close to perfect right from the start.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Right now, I'm juggling THREE brand new, freshly strung guitars.
You're a luthier, guitar player, *and* a juggler? That's some serious talent!
Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
You're a luthier, guitar player, *and* a juggler? That's some serious talent!
Hi, Roger. I'm a professional luthier, but not exactly a great player, or juggler. In fact, you'd probably want to keep a reasonable distance when I start doing those things. Heh heh.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Quick update: The ES 75 Siren Style S is all put together, strung up, and singing like its namesake. This new guitar is truly a sonic marvel. I'm over the moon about it! It sounds a lot bigger than it is, with a lot of volume and projection, incredible sustain, lots of overtone content, even response, plenty of bass... I would gladly A/B this guitar with ANY 00 or 000 guitar. I hope to get that chance!

The 24.5"- 25" multiscale is a dream to play. I have it tuned to DADF#AD at the moment, and it performs like a champion, even with regular light gauge strings. The scoop-cutaway is so comfortable, too. It's very difficult to put this guitar back on the stand, and get some work done. Pure delight- that's what it is!

I'll post some photos of the finished Siren as soon as I get a chance. Right now, I'm juggling THREE brand new, freshly strung guitars. Also, the Siren is just three days out of the nest, and I'll still need to do the additional detailing, and after a reasonable settling-in time, I'll refine the setup. Although it's pretty close to perfect right from the start.
You big tease!!! 😜

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Time to revisit this thread, now that this Siren Style S is DONE! It's actually been done for about a month now, and I would have to call it a resounding success. This guitar has ALL the special sauce. It sounds even better than I had hoped- definitely not a small guitar type of sound.
The bass response is fat and round and loud. Also very focused. The midrange is very articulate and complex, and the trebles are crystalline and chimey. Overall, the balance on this little guitar is superb, from the lowest to the highest notes. It sustains until the cows come home, and it has a natural reverb and colorful overtones too.

I confess, I have grown quite attached to this guitar. It is one of my all-time favorites; and from here on out, I hope to make all my Siren and Falcon guitars sound as good as this one.

I'll be sending the Siren out on approval this week. I've had several inquiries about its availability, and David V. from Grand Rapids, MI was first in line to check it out. So I will be shipping this guitar to him, hoping it will be a perfect fit for him. David and I have had some great phone chats, and I consider him a good friend now. I hope this guitar makes him very happy.

Here are some photos, just shot this afternoon, of the ready-for-prime-time EF 75 Siren, Style S. Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, bridge, rosette, and back head plate; Alaskan AAAA Bearclaw Sitka from Brent Cole at Alaska Specialty Woods; Black Walnut/Movingui/Bubinga neck with flamed Gabon Ebony fingerboard, bindings, scoop, tuner buttons, and front head plate; Zebra wood purflings throughout; Gotoh 510 mini tuners... All the GOOD stuff!
Dave wants to have a custom fitted Hoffee carbon fiber case for this guitar, so pending his approval, we'll be getting that underway this week.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

More photos of the finished Siren Style S ( the "Style S" is for the scoop-away- my first one. Love it! It provides all the upper fingerboard reach you could want, and it's very comfortable for the left hand to play up there...)

Thanks for looking!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:08 PM

Totally awesome dude, I like to think of the dots more as bubbles, tiny bubbles, rather than dots
Old 06-26-2016, 08:56 PM

Gorgeous Steve, outstanding, stupendous, beautiful, lovely, fantastic, unbelievable, super cool headstock......need I go on!!!

This one is a show stopper, the woods are out of this world. I thought my Edwinson had a fantastic top, this one is out of this world. I can hear this guitar in my mind just looking at it with the BRW back and sides and that Sitka top. Say goodbye when packing it as I would highly doubt this one is coming back.

Between this one and the Profundis guitar, that shop of yours is in high gear and cruising down the interstate!!!
Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

DUDE.

That looks amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop