The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 AM

Default Stretch for Middle Finger and Ring Finger

I am working on my finger independence and have really noticed how close together my ring ring and middle finger are when grabbing chords. I can separate them fine when my hand is flat, but as soon as I wrap my hand around the neck of the guitar those fingers come together.

Any suggestions on stretches for this?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Hold your hand flat, palm up. Spread your fingers. Then curl your fingers in towards your palm. The fingertips with come closer to each other. That's pretty normal at least for me and most people.

On first position chords for all practical purposes I can get up to one fret difference between the middle and ring finger - for example on a C chord with middle on second fret and ring on third fret.

Perhaps some people with longer fingers can comfortably stretch to two frets difference, I don't know, but the call for that would be rare.

It is another reason why being adept at using the pinky finger is so important.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 AM

I have the same issue--and I'm just trying to keep one good fret apart, not even dreaming of two. My "cheats" are just to aim them where even if they are not a full fret apart, the fret goes between the two fingers (hurray that we play fretted instruments!) or, on some chords, to lean my hand slightly to the side so that the ring finger, by extending farther, has its tip farther from the middle finger tip.

An example of what should be so easy, but butts up against this anatomy, is the simple D9: XXX230 I have to watch it to make it clean.

Over the past 6 months or so, when I have been doing lots of scale and arpeggio practice on a long-scale nylon classical, something has improved, either actual improvement in flexibility or more seamless implementation of my cheats.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 11-10-2015, 12:34 PM

Sorry please move to PLAY!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write