The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-05-2015, 09:02 PM

Default Having trouble with F barre chord

Okay, I have been practicing this F barre chord for about a month and it is driving me nuts... Here is what happens - I can barre the first fret and just play that without adding the other 3 fingers and do fine -- then when I add the other 3 fingers, it doesn't work and it is clunky!! What could be wrong?? Am I pressing to hard on my barre after adding the other 3 fingers? Anybody have any advice...I am starting to get frusturated lol
Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Go to Play section of forum and read the many prior threads about playing the F chord.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-05-2015, 09:06 PM

Oops!!! I totally meant to post it there. Sorry
Old 11-05-2015, 09:15 PM

How long and how much persistence did it take for you to get the C chord down, maybe try the full 6 string C chord. Take that and multiply by 3 and that's how much effort it will take to get the F chord down. It will be worth your time and your patience and persistence will be rewarded,

H
Old 11-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyfan161 View Post
Okay, I have been practicing this F barre chord for about a month and it is driving me nuts... Here is what happens - I can barre the first fret and just play that without adding the other 3 fingers and do fine -- then when I add the other 3 fingers, it doesn't work and it is clunky!! What could be wrong?? Am I pressing to hard on my barre after adding the other 3 fingers? Anybody have any advice...I am starting to get frusturated lol
It seems like it takes forever, but eventually it comes. Practice playing the barre at the higher frets also, it's a touch easier up there due to the angle of your arm. If its a lot easier, your guitar needs a setup.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-05-2015, 09:25 PM

This is how I mastered the F chord. Found a song filled with Fm,Bm and F chords. Played that song everyday for a year. Also found another song with the B chord in it, played it everyday for a year too.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 PM

Default Having trouble with F barre chord

Where the neck is relation to your position and arm will have a great influence on how difficult this chord is. The lower the neck, the more must crane ur wrist to get fingers where they need to go. The higher the neck, look at classical players , the less tension ur L hand will experience in such a chord. Good luck. Be patient.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:49 PM

Years ago I got this advice about barre chords - Put a strap on the guitar and stand up to practice. Worked for me
Old 11-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Guest316

Moved from general
Old 11-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Hi KF…

Three one minute videos I created years ago for students and friends to help with barre chords…perhaps they will help.

Acoustic Barre Chords

Where is the Pressure? - CLiCK

Barre From Above and Behind - CLiCK

Barre from Front - CLiCK

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-05-2015, 10:25 PM

I just barre the lower e and b strings most of the time. It works for the majority of songs and it is easier for me. I have more fun that way. Do the same for b chord.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

(First off, I have to say that playing a barre chord without fretting the lower bass notes is just plain silly! Why even go to the trouble of a barre for that? Trust me... when you are playing a B major chord, barred at the second fret with an A shape... you are DEFINITELY going to want to hear that low B note!)

Well, barre chords may not be as easy as just strumming all the strings when open, but they aren't all THAT hard... you NEED to have a guitar that is set up properly or it will be very difficult to gain any fluidity with barre chords...

Realize that your barre needn't be effective on ALL the strings, just the ones that aren't fretted by other fingers... so don't waste your effort and strength trying to be sure that that D string is barred perfectly on that E flat note (first fret) when your pinky is already fretting that string at the third fret! Work smart here, not hard...

Play that same shape chord at the fifth fret, get used to it there... play it at the 3rd and 4th frets, get used to it there... and then just play it at the first fret for an F major chord... keep playing it, getting the feel for how hard you need to press your fingers down, how much support you need from your thumb and where should that thumb be pressing...

It does require a degree of difficulty to master, but as rickslo said, don't make it an impossible task, some HUGE hurdle... it isn't. It's just learning to play the guitar. You will likely use barre chords, in all shapes and flavors, up and down the neck, for as long as you will play the guitar... get used to them!

And keep after it, and PLEASE share your victories when you "get it" about barre chords... someone just like you are now will need to hear it from someone who just went through the process!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-06-2015, 05:00 AM

The subject of a guitar setup often comes up in relation to these kind of chords, and quite rightly too in my opinion.

In my experience a lot of beginners look at me funny when I suggest they pay around £30 and have their guitars instantly transformed into something they can actually make real progress on. They just don't seem to get it.

If your nut is cut too high, and most of them are on new guitars, you will really struggle with an F barre and though you might not notice as a beginner most of the chords you play will be slightly out of tune.

Even expensive guitars generally need a setup.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 11-06-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Realize that your barre needn't be effective on ALL the strings, just the ones that aren't fretted by other fingers... so don't waste your effort and strength trying to be sure that that D string is barred perfectly on that E flat note (first fret) when your pinky is already fretting that string at the third fret! Work smart here, not hard...
This is key, and I rarely see it mentioned when people are talking about barre chords!

You will save an awful lot of hand strain by focusing on this. That, in turn, will make switching to the barre and away from the barre easier.

It is also a good point in general. Doesn't matter what you're playing, always strive to use enough pressure to get the job done, without overdoing it.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Hi, obviously it is desirable to be able to fret any chord shape anywhere, but there are often alternative.

I rarely use a full barre. I use the very oft used "thumb over" technique often used by electric guitarists but effective and udseful anywhere.

This entails fretting the 6th string with your thumb, and the 1,2,and 3 strings only with your index finger.

To find this chord shape - put your guitar by your side, headstock up.
Then turn to pick it up with your left hand - with your thumb grasping the neck at the first fret.

You will find that you hand will tend to place your fingers pretty much where the notes of the F chord will require.

Worth a try ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write