The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-05-2015, 05:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I thought I would have lost my enthusiasm after a month or so but I am still motivated and determined to learn at least some songs. Right now I am concentrating on a few guitar intros on a few songs that I like.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:17 PM

To all the advice given so far, I will add:

1) Try to be as musical as possible whenever you have your guitar in your hands.

2) Find a couple of two-chord songs that you like and learn them well enough to play them musically. By doing this you will master the change from one chord to another and back again.

3a) Learn the relationships of chords to each other and the rudiments of the numbering system. For instance, if the two-chord song you learned has the chords G and D, you can play the same song using the chords A and E, or C and G, or D and A or E and B7. Every one of those pairs of chords are commonly used and you should practice your two-chord songs with all of them.

3b) Learn the third commonly used chords that goes with each of the pairs mentioned in 3a.
G-D-C
A-E-D
C-G-F
D-A-G
E-B7-A (note: B7 is used here as an easier-to play substitute for B)

If you really are serious, study those groups and find a pattern that defines them all.

For at least a few months, do not practice any chord changes other than those I've written. You can, and should, mix the order within each set, but don't intermix the sets. For instance, practicing switching from E to G ,or G to E, is a complete waste of time, because none of the chord sets have that change and you will probably never encounter a song that does.

Concurrently with working on 3b, choose a song or two that have just the chords that make up one set. There are many thousands of songs that are possible. If you have honestly worked through 3a, you'll have some of the chord changes down pat, now you need to add just one chord. Learn the song in at least two or three of the chord sets.

4) Forget about fingerpicking at least until you can make fluid chord changes without losing the rhythm.

5) My experience with playing with other people leads me to recommend that you are not ready for that; you and your pals will be seriously frustrated. Hold off until you have mastered 3 or4 songs, simple strumming and singing, without breaking rhythm, before you start playing with others. But do eventually play with others; its a hoot, especially if the others play instruments other than guitar.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:36 AM

Something didn't sound right with my new to me GS Mini so I replaced the new light strings that the original owner had put on with the Elixer mediums that come withe the Mini and it sounds better. I am still struggling, but my desire is still high and can't wait for that magical moment when my brain and fingers meet.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Campy,

You should consider committing to working fully through the beginner and intermediate guitar courses on Justinguitar. The course work gives you a LOT of songs and if you buy Justin’s beginner songbooks, your total investment is less than $100. This will give you structure and both of these courses will lay a solid foundation. Give yourself time, should take 12-18 months to work through and master.

Good luck and have fun.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 PM

As a current student go StringFive, I will chime in to say that he is a great teacher and is fee is very reasonable.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 AM

Thank you Jean! You are an awesome student!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
but my desire is still high and can't wait for that magical moment when my brain and fingers meet.
Set some simple goals and don't quit.
At the 6 month mark I could not play a single song. Sure I knew some chords and memorized a few simple songs but they sounded like crap. I came real close to giving up. I gave myself 6 more months and a goal of 5-10 "campfire" version songs.
Also I stuck with Justin thru almost his whole beginner course.
I have a lot of his products on my shelf.
Something worked.
And it will for most anyone as long as they don't quit!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 PM

my oldest student currently is 77 years old. He just started playing guitar one year ago and had zero musical instrument experience.
Yesterday ( October 15th) he just laid down his acoustic track on his own original song he wrote. Next week he is going to attempt his vocal track.

So all I can say is, you have a 13 year advantage on him good luck and practice regularly

Last edited by Dalegreen; 10-30-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:48 AM

just posted my 77 year old student's song in the "show and tell" department. The piece is called "soaring"
First song he has ever recorded, first time singing, writing lyrics and strumming. Also first time playing with drum / bass in headphones. I thought he did a good job, just basic chords with a little help added in by myself to fill out the song.
In the end it is really just about picking up the guitar and playing music and he hopes to try and write another song and keep improving
Old 10-31-2015, 11:23 PM

Hi Campy,

I am in your age bracket as well. Knocking on 62's door. I started about 6 months ago and thought the age thing may be an issue, it really isn't. I feel I am doing well. I do practice everyday but I truly enjoy it. Even when I mess up or don't get something. For me the guitar has been a stress reliever and enjoyment. One thing I heard over and over and I will agree with it is don't beat your self up. Keep at it and you will get it. Make it fun! I highly recommend Justin free lessons on You tube. You will get plenty of help from this forum also. I joined less then a week ago and I have learned volumes from the members here. Just take it slow, put the guitar in your hand everyday and have fun!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write