The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2021, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all. It is a little confusing because a lot of guitar makers have their own size designations and body shapes. There doesn't seem to be a universal standard. So I really appreciate the responses. I've narrowed down the search. I said in the $600 to $800 range, maybe that's wishful thinking, but I don't have a budget. Some of the more expensive ones suggested are in the running.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-25-2021, 09:51 AM

For me, Martin's 000 is the perfect size guitar, having enough depth of tone to satisfy someone who doesn't want a dreadnought-sized instrument. Small enough to get your arms around and feel the tone through your chest.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Thanks all. It is a little confusing because a lot of guitar makers have their own size designations and body shapes. There doesn't seem to be a universal standard. So I really appreciate the responses. I've narrowed down the search. I said in the $600 to $800 range, maybe that's wishful thinking, but I don't have a budget. Some of the more expensive ones suggested are in the running.
Well then, your choices abound. There are fantastic OM/000/00 size guitars in all price ranges. One of the best I've played was a used Bourgeois Country Boy OM, but it was way out of my budget and meager skills. The Martin 000-18 is a standard for a reason, and Taylor has tons of GA/GC body guitars. You just need to play a bunch and see what tickles your fancy.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Well then, your choices abound. There are fantastic OM/000/00 size guitars in all price ranges. One of the best I've played was a used Bourgeois Country Boy OM, but it was way out of my budget and meager skills. The Martin 000-18 is a standard for a reason, and Taylor has tons of GA/GC body guitars. You just need to play a bunch and see what tickles your fancy.
Good advice often given. It would be nice to play a bunch and see what tickles my fancy and I would certainly do that if there were a bunch to play, but sadly I don't have a very wide selection of guitars available to me. But I'm narrowing the search thanks to all the suggestions.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-27-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Hi, that is not really true.

Think of the two longest established US made names - Martin and Gibson.

Both have long established sizes, that can be seen on their websites, although, I'd accept that Martin seem to be abandoning a lot of their older established models.
However, Collings and Eastman retain those shapes and designations so loo for info there.

Taylor have their own shapes and sizes and names but they seem to have a pretty detailed website.

Most of us have developed our guitar brand and type preferences by buying the wrong ones first.
You don't have to do that!

You can do your research in advance - by identifying what you want so think about it like this :

1. What body size/shape do you want ideally?
2. What nut width and string spacing do you prefer?
3. what scale length do you prefer - short scale (under 25") or standard scale - (25" plus - usually 25.4 or 25.5").
4. Tone woods? top ? spruce, cedar, mahogany?
5. tonewoods - back and sides ? (rosewood, mahogany, maple, other?
6. Trim level 9theese vary by brand

Then, once you've "designed"or defined your ideal guitar, then look for options within your budget, used, if you know how to assess a used instrument, or new.

I hope that helps.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:40 AM

Somewhere between concert and auditorium (000) size would seem to be the Goldilocks guitar. Maybe an 00.5?

My Breedlove concert has wonderful playable without sounding boxy, and anything I've tried smaller than that lacks the tonal fullness I can't do without. My Martin 000-15m has better tone, but is not as playable as the Breedlove.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion