The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderboltfan View Post
Love the Earthwood 12-54 PBs on my '71 J-45. Not loving them on my '99 000-28; my ears prefer the monels.
Just ordered Some to see how they compare to my other brands of strings.

What’s your opinion on them compared to Martin, John Pearse, or D’Addario?
Old 01-25-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Just ordered Some to see how they compare to my other brands of strings.

What’s your opinion on them compared to Martin, John Pearse, or D’Addario?
They campare nicely with the bulk Martin's I used to buy.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:48 PM

I’ve been very happy with EB Earthwood strings. They are very constant from set to set. I’ve been using them exclusively for about two years now...11 - 52s (light) for live shows.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:59 PM

I’ve been a EB user since the mid-‘70s as they were the least expensive strings a poor teenager could buy.

Now that I’m an “adult”, I’ve tried many different brands of strings on multiple guitars.

I’ve found that:

0. I realized after typing this list that I’m opinionated and grouchy.
1. I don’t like coated strings. I have very dry skin and a standard set of strings will last months for me.
2. I don’t get along with D’Addario strings at all. I just don’t like the feel of them on any of my guitars.
3. I’m too cheap to try the expensive, boutique strings.
4. I like the old style Martin strings but haven’t tried the new ones yet.
5. Ernie Ball strings still sound, play and feel good to me so that’s what I keep in stock at home.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 01-25-2021, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
I’m a recent convert to Earthwood Medium lights, both PB and 80/20.
Same here. I like the 80/20 most on my Eastman Cedar / Sapele OM .. the guitar rings. The PBs sound great on my Larrivee 000-40
Old 01-25-2021, 09:40 PM

I've been testing a wide variety of strings on the J-15 I've had for nearly a year now. The last set in the pile was some Earthwoods, and from the first strum they just seemed "right". The others were all fine, but there's something about these that sets them apart in a good way. Definitely will be continuing to use them for some time to come...
Old 01-26-2021, 07:31 AM

I bought my 2nd and 3rd set of Earthwood medium light PBs and am waiting to change out a set of lifespans that are a few weeks old.
I’ve been changing tuning to open G frequently and I’m hesitant to put the EWs on because I want them to last a bit. Currently I’m in AZ and only have one guitar here. Looking forward to returning to the Earthwoods.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:27 AM

Earth woods have been fine strings for decades.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-26-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
The main criticism I have heard about Ernie Ball strings is about their longevity. Let us know how that aspect of them works out.
Please allow me to suggest that you try Ernie Ball Paradigm strings. They are basically coated Earthwoods. But the coating isn't a plastic one, like other types of coated strings. It's a secret, but I'm pretty sure it's some sort of vapor-deposited metal or metal oxide, incredibly thin.

It's completely unnoticeable; you'll find that they feel and sound exactly like regular Earthwoods, but they last at least as long as Elixirs. I'm continually surprised they aren't more popular here on AGF.

You might also want to try their Everlast strings. They are also coated, but cheaper than the Paradigms (which are priced basically the same as Elixirs). The Paradigms undergo some sort of cryo-annealing process that they say makes them much stronger. I never break strings, so I can't speak to that.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
Please allow me to suggest that you try Ernie Ball Paradigm strings. They are basically coated Earthwoods. But the coating isn't a plastic one, like other types of coated strings. It's a secret, but I'm pretty sure it's some sort of vapor-deposited metal or metal oxide, incredibly thin.

It's completely unnoticeable; you'll find that they feel and sound exactly like regular Earthwoods, but they last at least as long as Elixirs. I'm continually surprised they aren't more popular here on AGF.

You might also want to try their Everlast strings. They are also coated, but cheaper than the Paradigms (which are priced basically the same as Elixirs). The Paradigms undergo some sort of cryo-annealing process that they say makes them much stronger. I never break strings, so I can't speak to that.
Not interested in long-lasting strings. Just don't want short-lasting ones. I was just seeing if what I heard of was true or not. As long the Earthwoods last almost as long as D'addario's or Martin's etc. I'm good.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
Not in my experience. I dont find they are shorter lived than Didarrio or Martin.
Nor mine. I love the Earthwoods (Jimmy Page played/plays them for a reason....).

Speaking of the EB line of strings, another recent thread was about high-end guitars that disappointed. I wasn't bonding with my 1998 Taylor 914c, which I had bought strictly as a DADGAD guitar. I wasn't bonding with it, but I hadn't put it in DADGAD tuning so, to my mind, I hadn't really given it a proper chance. So I finally got it into DADGAD and started ripping through several sets of strings (including the medium/light Earthwood PBs that I like so much). I went through GHS true mediums, I went through Martin SP medium/lights, I went through Sunbeams.............I still wasn't bonding with the Taylor. Then I grabbed a set of the same gauge PB Ernie Ball Paradigm strings I had laying around (speaking of....) and lo and behold..............the angels sang. The guitar finally sounded as I had always envisioned it!

I still have that set on that guitar (they've been on for four months and three days now and still sound good) and a couple of extra sets reserved for that guitar. In fact I also slapped a set of Paradigms on my HD-28. I'm still looking for the perfect set for that guitar, but have largely zeroed in on Martin Tony Rice Monels for that one. The Paradigms sound fine, but don't do for that Martin what they do for the Taylor.

But back to Earthwoods, I have no complaints on any of the EB strings I've tried thus far. The Earthwoods are definitely a bargain in my book. Pitbull Audio typically has great bargains on multiple sets of Earthwoods (along with many other strings) on Reverb (I'm not an employee and no relation to or with anyone at Pitbull Audio).
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 01-26-2021, 09:30 PM

I have Earthwood Lights on three of my 5 acoustics and Ernie Ball Slinky on my 2 electrics.

I have used Ernie Ball since my pre teens. Oh crap, just hit me, approximately 50 years.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-26-2021, 09:51 PM

I got a few sets of them on an Amazon deal. They were custom light (possibly just extra lights? Small gauge was .11) and I actually surprisingly enjoyed them. My normal favorite treated strings are Martin SP pb lights but I use Elixir's more often than not. I wiped them down after each play and probably got 3 weeks or so without corrosion. Pretty good for non-coated and long than I get out of the Sp's.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
I've been in love with monel strings and variations of them; but two months ago I felt like missing a T-Bone steak in my tone. At my "local" high-end store, they sell Elixirs (definitely NOT an option for me, since I hate them), Gibson, D'Addario and Ernie Ball strings. I decided to go "cheap" and got 3 pkgs of the Ernie Ball Earthwood PBs. Lo and behold, the STEAK tone that I was looking for. Just a little happy story
Years ago I used to buy EB's only because they were so cheap, however they only lasted 3 days and I couldn't believe I kept getting fooled. Now, the EB light 80/20's of today sound great and last a lot longer than the EJ's I was used to using. Very nice strings on my Gibson J-30.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:01 AM

Default 80/20's

After years on Martin coated strings it has been refreshing and rewarding to rediscover EB 80/20 Earthwoods Medium Light 12-54.
Yes they last, and sound sweet, chimey, and bell-like. Even when old they keep a warm, spongy twang I typically enjoy for a week or two.
Definitely recommend!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion