The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-03-2020, 11:53 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Gorgeous guitar. I so want a Circa. Mine scheduled for 2022.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:01 PM

That sure is a pretty guitar, and that slotted headstock it stunning!
Old 11-03-2020, 08:30 PM

I believe this is my 1000th post. There's no better way to hit that milestone than with a comment on an awesome Circa build post. Maple, no less!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
As of now, I’ve played about 1/4 of his entire output.
This is insane. I wonder what his output is now. Based on serial numbers, It's got to be close to 200? If that's the case, that makes your statement even more jaw dropping. How the heck did you get your paws on so many Circas? You weren't even at Slobodopalooza at Schoenberg's a while back...

Quote:
John is currently experimenting with stains to see if he can achieve a transparent or opaque black finish for the neck. That's the only risky thing we're shooting for with this one.
No doubt that John will nail this. For my maple, the neck was a darker hue than the body. So he stained the finish just right on each of the individual components so that it would blend together. I have 110% confidence that he'll crush it for you here. I'm super curious to see what this looks like!!!!

I'm super excited for you. I can't wait to hear one of your awesome videos with this axe. As many of us know, John builds some pretty special guitars, but I feel his maple guitars are incredibly special!
Old 11-04-2020, 03:50 AM

Brian, the elephant in the room is that you could make a paper bag sound celestial. Accordingly, you need a great guitar far less than the rest of us. You should just carry on with what you have and donate the Circa to me: I need it more than you!

I've played a few Circas and "Collings" immediately sprang to my mind in terms of fit-and-finish. In many ways the Circas were so cleanly built they reminded me of those. Not a flaw anywhere to disclose they are "handmade" (and especially not "homemade"!). The pics of your guitar are so crisp.

One in particular sticks in my mind, a 12 fret 000 spruce/IRW with cutaway that had seriously celestial trebles, but in a Martinseque fashion rather than modern West Coast. Lovely.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

I’ve played a few maple Slobods. They are simply magical. Whatever he does with German maple, he’s really able to bring out the best in that wood. I will have a 00-12 from him at some point. Can’t wait. Very excited for you!
Old 11-05-2020, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Smile Breathtaking

What an AXE!!! Amazing detail! Woohoo....

Enjoy this in the best of health and spirits!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-07-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Hey Brian, that black binding against the maple is incredible. Love it! There’s a similar guitar at Schoenberg’s. A long scale 00 in maple too, but with tortis type binding. Have you or anyone here played that? Would you say that John builds along the lines with Jules Borges, or a bit more modern? Didn’t John apprentice with Dana Bourgeois and Borges before going out by himself too?

I’ve never played a Maple Circa but I’ve heard Stuart Ryan play his 000-12 and that’s one of the top tones in my head.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:00 AM

Keeping an eye on this thread!
Old 11-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
00 Maple Slobod, smart man....!!! These next two months will go by in a split second compared to 7 years
SURELY. I sure hope so, anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsj200 View Post
WOW!!! Congrats!!! You are much more patient than me (LOL). That just looks down right gorgeous. Can not wait to see the finished product. You are very fortunate to have experienced so many of John's great instruments. I have just acquired my first Circa. It's an early build from 2002 and the workmanship/sound and playability is just exceptional.

Best of luck
Patience for these sorts of things and a modest income often go hand-in-hand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
My, my, that's sublime !

German spruce/maple Circa 00 = wish-list guitar.

Thanks for sharing the pics and scratching the itch.
Yes indeed. He really put that wood combo in a 00 on the map. For me, at least! Al Petteway’s first Circa ruined me for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I'm also on his list for a long-scale 12-fret 00, different materials. I'm still on the fence about a cutaway. Your build has me buzzing, actually! Beautiful, especially in all of the details!
What woods? Based on the ones I’ve played, I wouldn’t be concerned about a cutaway negatively effecting the sound! They’ve been consistently wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post
I also have a soft spot for a maple Circa 00.. Particularly the black and white scheme. Will enjoy this one.
The neck is the one big question mark. Still not sure what we’ll settle on. I may need to have you guys help me out . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats...
Thanks as always!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Congrats on a beautiful build. I briefly played one of John ‘s guitars at the 2019 Swannanoa Week and the clarity and responsiveness was amazing.
Thanks! Clarity is definitely his thing! Here’s hoping for Swannanoa 2021. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
The problem with Slobod is that his work is so sloppy. I mean, clearly he just threw that thing together.

If you awakened me in the middle of the night I think I would say, “SlobdelGeyt. Where’s my binky? Brian, what are you doing here? Now that I’m awake, and since you’re here, please stop posting those clips of you playing on Facebook. You’re making us look bad. Leave the Circa 00-12 here and please let me go back to sleep.”
“SlobdelGeyt” If only this forum would allow me to change my name. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
Congratulations Brian, I'm on his list for 2021 and I'm going maple also. Still trying to decide Adi OM or 000c. Would love to hear your impressions when you receive this beauty and put it through its paces.
Rob! Well, whenever things are somewhat normal again, I’ll just bring it by. You know we’re not far away nowadays. Paradise Valley! His 000 is not to be missed. Juston and I played the same 000 Maple that Schoenberg’s had a few years ago. It remains one of the best sounding guitars I’ve played (including Walkers, pre wars and whatnot. . . )
Old 11-08-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have played a number of John's fine guitars over the years. Congratulations on this beauty!

Best,
Jayne
Thanks, Jayne!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marei View Post
Hi Brian, thanks for the pictures. I am very very excited for you. Is the second guitar by any chance a Adirondack/Maple OM? That would be mine which John expects to deliver in spring of 2021.
Yes, actually TWO more in this batch - an OM and a 000-12 Fret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Gorgeous guitar. I so want a Circa. Mine scheduled for 2022.
Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
That sure is a pretty guitar, and that slotted headstock it stunning!
Ohh dear the Circa slotted headstock and pyramid bridge are the stuff of legend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
I believe this is my 1000th post. There's no better way to hit that milestone than with a comment on an awesome Circa build post. Maple, no less!!!!

This is insane. I wonder what his output is now. Based on serial numbers, It's got to be close to 200? If that's the case, that makes your statement even more jaw dropping. How the heck did you get your paws on so many Circas? You weren't even at Slobodopalooza at Schoenberg's a while back...

No doubt that John will nail this. For my maple, the neck was a darker hue than the body. So he stained the finish just right on each of the individual components so that it would blend together. I have 110% confidence that he'll crush it for you here. I'm super curious to see what this looks like!!!!

I'm super excited for you. I can't wait to hear one of your awesome videos with this axe. As many of us know, John builds some pretty special guitars, but I feel his maple guitars are incredibly special!
Congrats, Foodie! I’ve always admired your tastes ;-) Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement to keep going in this direction. The maple thing can be tricky, with regards to overall aesthetic. I loved Michael Watts’ solution. Excited to see where we end up! Oh, and yes, after this batch, John will be over 200. Probably around 210 or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Brian, the elephant in the room is that you could make a paper bag sound celestial. Accordingly, you need a great guitar far less than the rest of us. You should just carry on with what you have and donate the Circa to me: I need it more than you!

I've played a few Circas and "Collings" immediately sprang to my mind in terms of fit-and-finish. In many ways the Circas were so cleanly built they reminded me of those. Not a flaw anywhere to disclose they are "handmade" (and especially not "homemade"!). The pics of your guitar are so crisp.

One in particular sticks in my mind, a 12 fret 000 spruce/IRW with cutaway that had seriously celestial trebles, but in a Martinseque fashion rather than modern West Coast. Lovely.

Cheers,
Steve
Ahh, way too kind, Steve! Thank you. I’m mostly just in love with the idea of a well-executed guitar. Ed Claxton is another builder that comes to mind pretty often for me. Kim Walker’s stuff is magnificent and if I’m being honest, the best of the Froggy Bottoms I come across are of similar fascination to me. Marc Maingard is another I love. I think I recall that Circa 000 12-fret. I didnt get to play it, but John mentioned it as one he was especially proud of!
Old 11-11-2020, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I’ve played a few maple Slobods. They are simply magical. Whatever he does with German maple, he’s really able to bring out the best in that wood. I will have a 00-12 from him at some point. Can’t wait. Very excited for you!
Thanks Juston - I’m excited too! He has started working on the lacquer now. I can’t wait to record this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
What an AXE!!! Amazing detail! Woohoo....

Enjoy this in the best of health and spirits!

Salud

Paul
Thanks so much, Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Hey Brian, that black binding against the maple is incredible. Love it! There’s a similar guitar at Schoenberg’s. A long scale 00 in maple too, but with tortis type binding. Have you or anyone here played that? Would you say that John builds along the lines with Jules Borges, or a bit more modern? Didn’t John apprentice with Dana Bourgeois and Borges before going out by himself too?

I’ve never played a Maple Circa but I’ve heard Stuart Ryan play his 000-12 and that’s one of the top tones in my head.
I’ll never understand how Stuart could ever be without THAT guitar. The recordings he made with that thing were just marvelous. I know that long scale 00 maple pretty well, actually! It’s fab - great clarity and evenness throughout the EQ. VERY warm... one of the “sweetest” sounding guitars I’ve come across. It doesn’t have a ton of volume, but it makes up for that in the way it responds to a light touch. Really really nice in alternate tunings. The tort binding it very pretty in person. If you look closely, you can see the routed "shelf" that the binding sits in the more translucent areas of the material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohr View Post
Keeping an eye on this thread!
I won’t let you down!
Old 11-11-2020, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Lacquer!

Old 11-11-2020, 08:34 PM

It never fails... Flamed maple under finish always gets my heart rate up and makes me light headed...

Keep the pics coming!!!!
Old 11-12-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
There’s a similar guitar at Schoenberg’s. A long scale 00 in maple too, but with tortis type binding. Have you or anyone here played that?
Shortly before the pandemic, I took a trip out to Schoenberg's shop. I played quite a few guitars and that Circa was my personal favorite. A really beautiful guitar that sounded lovely.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofari View Post
Shortly before the pandemic, I took a trip out to Schoenberg's shop. I played quite a few guitars and that Circa was my personal favorite. A really beautiful guitar that sounded lovely.
It's a delightful guitar. I saved this pic of the boxed endgraft John posted awhile back -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop