The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-31-2009, 05:28 PM

Cool Check Out Glen Phillips' "Live" Acoustic Youtube Videos!

Glen Phillips (original lead guy for Toad the Wet Sprocket from the 90's) has a lot of nifty '07, '08 solo/ duo videos on Youtube. I like this guy's style a lot! What a unique and quality voice. Not crazy about how his guitar sounds plugged in, but his style is great IMO and the recording quality is good, especially for Youtube. Check out some of these songs. I could watch them all. Well actually I probably have ......
http://www.youtube.com/user/glenphil...21/LcCvNqnJVFo

Here's one where he has the guitar mic'd rather than plugged in. I really enjoy this guy's stuff! Can you tell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKX22lSm2cU

Last edited by 66strummer; 10-31-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:33 PM

Pretty interesting music... Great voice.... Clever lyrics... Pretty decent guitar tones (IMO). Thanks for sharing!

Taylorplayer
Old 11-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks for sharing the site. I am a fan of his, had a bunch of his acoustic stuff on my ipod, before my computer messed up. One day soon have to catch him when he comes around Michigan. I have seen that he plays solo a bunch as well as occasionally with Toad.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:12 PM

One of the gigs that he has a lot of videos of on Youtube was from here in NY State, New York City actually....... Looks like a really good solo/ duo entertainer.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Cocobologist

I have Glen's "Live at Largo" CD in constant rotation in the car. Love his style and his songs...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM

I love early Toad.

Pale is one of my all time favorite albums, but it is hard to listen to now without thinking of the first girl I ever loved. Ah Courtney, how I wish...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully151 View Post
I love early Toad.

Pale is one of my all time favorite albums, but it is hard to listen to now without thinking of the first girl I ever loved. Ah Courtney, how I wish...

Ya, sometimes songs and particular CD's can bring back memories that we may or may not want to bring back. I picked up Toad's "Retrospective" (greatest hits) album years ago and loved it, including a lot of songs I'd never heard on the radio. When I heard the song "Walk on the Ocean" originally I didn't even realize it was Glen and company, but I really dug the song. Kind of cool that it turned out to be from a group I already liked a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
I have Glen's "Live at Largo" CD in constant rotation in the car. Love his style and his songs...

The only stuff I have from Glen (solo) is studio recorded but I'm sure his live CD is worth owning from what I've seen of him on Ytube.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 PM

I like it alot! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 PM

I love Toad. Dulcinea is their masterpiece imo. Was lucky enough to see them in Houston a couple months back when a rare friend who shares my affinity for them alerted me they'd be in town. They did all their old well-known numbers as well as some more popular tunes among their fanbase (I was surprised at the # of enthusiasts there btw). It was great and, as other posters have alluded, bittersweet. I forgot how long it's been since they were putting out music. In any event, they were one of the most underrated bands of the ninties. They're supposed be coming out w/ a new album soon. I would bet on it being really good, too, if history is any indication.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 PM

You're welcome, Ccreyeder!

Godinfan......

My thoughts as well. I also have Dulcinea. I bought it along with the popular Gin Blossoms album that was out at that time, yet another alternate 90's group I like a lot.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 AM

Default Nickle Creek

Forgive me if someone mentioned this but I guess your probably aware that Glen did a tour playing with Nickle Creek before they broke up. Not as an opener but Nickle Creek was his backing band. It was really amazing stuff I was blessed enough to catch live. In fact I believe they made an album. Glen is a wonderful songwriter and performer.

2004 Martin D41
2006 Guild D40

"The Future of Whistling"......Daniel Duncan
Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan121 View Post
Forgive me if someone mentioned this but I guess your probably aware that Glen did a tour playing with Nickle Creek before they broke up. Not as an opener but Nickle Creek was his backing band. It was really amazing stuff I was blessed enough to catch live. In fact I believe they made an album. Glen is a wonderful songwriter and performer.
They called themself Mutual Admiration Society. Their CD is amazing; I can only imagine how they must have sounded live..
Christian
Old 11-04-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan121 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
They called themself Mutual Admiration Society. Their CD is amazing; I can only imagine how they must have sounded live..

I think the guy playing Mandolin in some of Glen's live Youtube Videos is the guy from Nickle Creek, right (Chris Thile)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1O87Y7lCH0

I have one of their CDs as well. Nice group. I'll have to dig that one out. Relaxing, spirited music........
Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Yup, that's Thile. Not many guys can play mandolin like that. Phillips and Nickel Creek actually put out a CD together under a group name called Mutual Admiration Society. And now Phillips is currently in another supergroup with the Watkins siblings from NC that's called Works Progress Administration. Phillips has had a pretty tight relationship with Nickel Creek members individually and collectively for the last 9 or so years.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a NC fanboy.

http://www.facebook.com/tylerhansenmusic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hansentj
Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansentj View Post
Yup, that's Thile. Not many guys can play mandolin like that. Phillips and Nickel Creek actually put out a CD together under a group name called Mutual Admiration Society. And now Phillips is currently in another supergroup with the Watkins siblings from NC that's called Works Progress Administration. Phillips has had a pretty tight relationship with Nickel Creek members individually and collectively for the last 9 or so years.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a NC fanboy.

Hey thanks for all the info. I really don't keep up on things well at all. If someone told me Toad was back together touring again I'd probably believe them .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell