The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
One could rightly say that Collings' success has been built on emulating the designs of other people.

But Martin's latest move feels flatly uncreative.

I get it: the Waterloo is a knock off of Gibson's old school knockoffs. But, as an owner of an old Carson Robison, I think the new ones are landing pretty close to the target and they're pretty cool.

Martin may have some people who take the leap in this and I haven't played one, but I can't imagine why anyone would be willing to pay the same price for a Martin knockoff of a Waterloo.

I think Martin lost its way for some time. But with the Authentics and updates to the D-18 and OOO-18, has really reclaimed some of the old glory. But some stuff like this just feels like they've got too many people quarterbacking and, as a result, they make some questionable calls. This feels like one of them.

As I said, I haven't played the thing yet, but I already hate it. Martin needs to condense its product line and focus of quality. Looks like regression to me.
Everett, I'm having trouble understanding what you are having a problem with. The 00-17S is a basic 00 12-Fret "peanut" shape body introduced by Martin in 1877, while the 000-17 uses Martins Orchestra Model body introduced in 1929, both of which are signature Martin body shapes that have been widely copied. As for the 00L models, it can be argued that Gibson tweaked Martins 00 "peanut" shape, and stuck a 14-fret neck on it to make it their own. In any event, not that it makes much difference, but I'm pretty sure the Martin CEO7 was out before the Waterloo was.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 02-15-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
So I just spent some time with the new 17's, and I'm happy to report that they are fantastic! Talk about pre war vintage! Once we get enough of them in, I will no doubt add one to my personal collection and start experimenting with different strings, but I could certainly be happy with them as is, with the Lifespans.

And yes, the finish will throw some people off at first, I know I was thrown off the first time I picked up a Waterloo, but I suspect it will quickly grow on most folks. And the price is certainly right.

Here's a quick iPhone photo.

Ted...how did you find the 00-17s? That black smoke 12 fretter is growing on me!
Thanks...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, martin, namm, waterloo