The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-07-2009, 02:32 AM

Default Earl Klugh - Solo Guitar Performance

Wow, got to see Earl Klugh tonight, one of my all-time favorite guitarists. I've been listening to him since 1981. I like most of his stuff, but I especially like his solo guitar pieces. Tonight's concert was a rare solo performance. Only Earl. He played 2 sets, each about 1 hour. He played many jazz standards (Stella By Starlight, 'Round Midnight, Fly Me To The Moon), many pop standards (Alfie, The Look Of Love, Canadian Sunset), and many originals...all played fingerstyle on nylon string guitar. We were second row middle in a theater that holds 250 people. Wow, what a great, great night.

In case you've never heard of Earl Klugh or never heard his solo guitar stuff, below is the only You Tube clip I could find that was representative of what we saw and heard tonight. And, if you like the You Tube clip, I strongly recommend Earl's solo guitar album, "Naked Guitar".

Now, back to my nylon string as I try to remember all the cool tricks I learned tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2KrwHooPAI
Old 11-07-2009, 04:26 AM

Earl was at the Chet Atkins convention this summer.. That may sound like an odd fit, but it really wasn't. Chet really admired Earl. Beyond being a great player he is just such a really nice guy.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Musical minimalist

I was hooked on Earl when "Hearstring" first came out in '77 or so. Saw him quite a few times at Baker's Keyboard Lounge in Detroit back in the day. Never seen him solo though, must have been pretty cool. I listen to Naked Guitar and Late Night Guitar often, but the early stuff is still my favorite.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 AM

I saw him Thursday night at the same venue. Great show. I also learned a great lesson. As he was chatting about a tune called Venezulen Nights, he said that it was a difficult song (his original) that he liked very much, but it made him nervous playing it live for fear of mistakes It is a beautiful mid-tempo piece but a real jazz chord finger buster.

I get nervous too. 'Cept I DO flub everything...
Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Yep, Earl rocks. I saw him a year ago and was shocked at how young he is! A guy playing as long as he has should be at least 70!
Taylor 355CE-12
Martin backpacker
Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrolem View Post
As he was chatting about a tune called Venezulen Nights, he said that it was a difficult song (his original) that he liked very much, but it made him nervous playing it live for fear of mistakes
While he didn't mention getting nervous about playing any tunes, he definitely had some shaky moments. Shaky meaning, he seemed to blank out on an occasional chord progression or fingering or something.

It was reassuring to me as a fingerstyle guitarist that even the greats draw a blank sometimes (oh man, have I drawn some blanks while playing at wedding or banquet). It's also quite amazing how the masters work themselves out of a bind without a drop of sweat.

By the way, I stayed up until 2am this morning, trying to remember all the little nuances he played. The ideas were like water droplets on hot cement...they all evaporated by the time I got the guitar in my hands.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Since he mostly plays with a full band, it must be a bit "disconcerting" having to fill in 120+ minutes just by yourself. In the band, you're "on" for a minute or so. Being on for 2 hours would be a tough transition, even for the greats.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:56 PM

A friend had the Heart string album years ago I became a fan and I also saw Earl at the Orpheum theatre in Minneapolis in the 80's. I forgot about Earl somewhat over time and rediscovered him with Naked guitar on itunes. A release I have played into the ground. Great guitarist!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Eric Skye

That's great Daryl.
I was never really a fan. A lot of the smooth jazz stuff just doesn't do it for me... till you turned me onto his Naked Guitar record a few years ago. That’s just a stunningly great record. Possibly the very best solo guitar recording to my ear. What a tone. What taste. It’s just must must have for all acoustic guitar players. That CD, with a really nice pair of headphones and eyes closed will rewire your sense of tone and time. I’m sure it was just wonderful to see him solo. And having ample experience doing multiple hour gigs of solo acoustic jazz guitar, and can atest it ain't always easy. If we could just figure out a way to get paid by the chord....
Old 11-08-2009, 09:25 AM

While I don't mind his smooth jazz stuff, I don't like it enough to hear a whole evening of it. That said, I do catch his shows when I can just to hear the 1 or 2 solo guitar pieces that he often interjects in a set. Plus, my wife really likes the smooth jazz stuff so it's a win win.

I do hope he comes out with more solo guitar stuff and a book would be icing on the cake.

Darryl
Old 11-08-2009, 09:33 AM

Excellent guitar player...I always enjoyed listening to him. A lot can be learned by his expressive style of playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell