The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-18-2020, 08:45 PM

Default Tuner Pedals

I know I'm opening a Pandora's Box here, but I'm looking for a tuner pedal.

So far, I've tried a Monoprice pedal and a Polytune 3.

I liked the Monoprice, which was less than $25, but it would only work intermittently. I also felt that it had a somewhat wide range of what it considered to be in tune. It went back.

I just bought a Polytune 3 after trying one at GC, but when I got it home I had two problems. The first was hum, which could have been cable-related, but I didn't take the time to troubleshoot that issue. The big problem was that no matter how I tuned in single-string mode, the polyphonic mode would always show the G string as flat. I took it back and tested it against another, which was better, but that one also showed strings as out-of-tune in polyphonic mode even when they showed as in-tune in single-string mode. Also, I have to say that I wasn't thrilled with the display. I got my money back and left it at GC.

I'm now back to using a D'Addario Micro Tuner on my Gretsch, but I'm still looking. Next on the list is the Boss TU 3, but my question is this: Is there another tuner pedal that uses both battery and 9v power supply, that I should be looking at? Should I give up and stick with the Micro Tuner?

Thanks.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-18-2020, 09:49 PM

I use a Waza Craft chromatic pedal. Love it. A little pricey, but lots of modes, & features including true bypass.
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 01-19-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post

I liked the Monoprice, which was less than $25, but it would only work intermittently. I also felt that it had a somewhat wide range of what it considered to be in tune. It went back.

I just bought a Polytune 3 after trying one at GC, but when I got it home I had two problems. The first was hum, which could have been cable-related, but I didn't take the time to troubleshoot that issue. The big problem was that no matter how I tuned in single-string mode, the polyphonic mode would always show the G string as flat. I took it back and tested it against another, which was better, but that one also showed strings as out-of-tune in polyphonic mode even when they showed as in-tune in single-string mode. Also, I have to say that I wasn't thrilled with the display. I got my money back and left it at GC.

I'm now back to using a D'Addario Micro Tuner on my Gretsch, but I'm still looking. Next on the list is the Boss TU 3, but my question is this: Is there another tuner pedal that uses both battery and 9v power supply, that I should be looking at? Should I give up and stick with the Micro Tuner?

Thanks.
There's nothing better for the average player than a Turbotuner. One good thing about it that is generally not understood is that, unlike any other pedal tuner I know of, you can run it on a 9V battery and leave the input plugged in without draining the battery. That's a great feature if you are running up against limitations on how many outlets you're using from your power supply or if you do not have your tuner pedal first in line (which despite conventional wisdom is NOT necessary.) Not cheap, but extremely accurate, easy to use, and bulletproof.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:47 PM

I have not tried one out, but folks seem excited about this new pedal from Electro-Harmonix. Street is $39.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Hey phcorrigan ,

I’m a Peterson tuner fan.

Their new strobo stomp is the best tuner pedal I’ve ever used. Small footprint with a huge display, sweetened and alternate tunings, and the color of the display can be changed for each preset you use. At least four colors that I use. It has true bypass, battery or wired power options, and best of all you can connect it to their site to add, modify and customize any tuning you like!

I plan on writing a review in the near future, but I’ve been using it for about six months now, and I couldn’t be happier with it! Quite simply everything you could want or need in a tuner. As I said, I believe it’s the best pedal tuner ever made.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-19-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
I have not tried one out, but folks seem excited about this new pedal from Electro-Harmonix. Street is $39.
Like other mini-style pedals, it doesn't take a 9v battery.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-19-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Like other mini-style pedals, it doesn't take a 9v battery.
Whoops. Sorry I missed that.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Hey phcorrigan ,

I’m a Peterson tuner fan.

Their new strobo stomp is the best tuner pedal I’ve ever used. Small footprint with a huge display, sweetened and alternate tunings, and the color of the display can be changed for each preset you use. At least four colors that I use. It has true bypass, battery or wired power options, and best of all you can connect it to their site to add, modify and customize any tuning you like!

I plan on writing a review in the near future, but I’ve been using it for about six months now, and I couldn’t be happier with it! Quite simply everything you could want or need in a tuner. As I said, I believe it’s the best pedal tuner ever made.

Mark
I got one not too long ago and have to agree.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:38 PM

2 for 1, the new Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal with tuner built in looks really cool. Not sure how well it works.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

I have a PolyTune two. I also get similar inconsistencies when playing in 6-string mode. I’m not sure of the physics here but my hypothesis is that when all 6 strings are playing together the slight change in tension will make one or more strings slightly out of tune - and I mean slightly.

I usually use the 6-string option to narrow down which string or strings have gone out and then zero in on those using the single string mode. I am really impressed and pleased with mine so give it some time to get used to it, I’m sure you’ll be fine!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-20-2020, 08:41 PM

I've had the Boss TU-2 on my pedalboard for over 10 years. It's great and it can be used to power other pedals in a daisy chain. One thing I like about the TU-2 is that I also can use it as a mute button. I suspect other pedals are similar.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 PM

+1 for the Peterson strobo stomp. I have gone through a number of options and this is the best.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-21-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've had the Boss TU-2 on my pedalboard for over 10 years. It's great and it can be used to power other pedals in a daisy chain. One thing I like about the TU-2 is that I also can use it as a mute button. I suspect other pedals are similar.

The PolyTune mutes to tune as well.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-21-2020, 08:32 AM

I have some version of the Polytuner too and have found from day one that the full 6 string tuning capability is worthless. It tunes each individual string just fine though. But if I was in the market I'd just get the gold standard, a Boss Chromatic tuner TU-3.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:03 PM

The Polytune's 6 string mode is a gimmick and I never use it. It is overall a great tuner though. It is the very fastest to nail a pitch of any tuner I've tried. No waiting around for the tuner to decide. Also very bright- if you've ever played a full-sun stage you'll appreciate it. It's accurate too, in strobe mode I used it to set intonation on electrics. The Polytune 3 is switchable between buffered and true bypass. If you don't need a buffer, buy the Polytune 2 or a mini.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars