The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-25-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
They are both audiophile amps, no question about that. Both have multiple channels which I really like since I like working with other singers and doing harmonies and trading off vocals.

The big difference is 40 vs. 400 watts. The D6-8 will handle small gigs that a similarly powered Fishman Loudbox mini will handle, but that isn’t enough for a lot of noisier venues. The Roy is an absolute beast power-wise and can handle pretty much any situation that doesn’t require a trucked in PA.

The mixers both sound great but are quite different. The D6-8 is a very well configured digital mixer whereas the Roy goes in the complete opposite direction with all class-A analog preamps. I actually really like both approaches. The D6-8 certainly is ahead in terms of features and sounds impeccably clean, but the Roy has this high end mixer analog charm that is just so beautiful.

The D6-8 is absolutely wonderful as a system at interfacing with a larger PA. It’s mixer is incredibly versatile. You can do things like set up a wonderful mix for yourself and send separated guitar and vocals to the sound guy. There is really nothing else like it.

If I could only keep one, it would be the Roy, but it would be a tough choice because I really do love them both.
That's a great detailed comparison, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I used the Roy in a very low volume coffee shop setting last night. My 40 watt EAE D6-8 would have easily handled it but it was my first time there so I took the Roy just to be safe.

What is really evident is how high fidelity the sound is even at very low volumes. You can really feel the low frequencies and the highs are already crisp and clear even at the lowest volumes. I was extremely happy with the sound and they must have been as well because they want me to play every Tuesday for the month of September.

Note that the only cable is for power. I have the xVive U3 on my Audix mic and a generic version of Carvin WG5 on my guitar. Setup and tear down was completely painless.
Glad to hear it's working out well for you.

As for me I'm still over the moon with the Roy and I can't see ever going back to a traditional PA. As far as PA on sticks you can keep them the Roy sounds much better.

I've played outdoor patios, clubs and ballrooms with the Roy and I never felt like it wasn't enough. I did end up using a powered speaker plugged into the Roy for one outdoor gig where the audience was spread out and it worked great

There was a thread about using amps for PA's and how powered speakers are superior because of their size and wattage capacity but the thing about the Roy is it is the size of a powered speaker and has the power to match.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock School Of Music View Post
... I did end up using a powered speaker plugged into the Roy for one outdoor gig where the audience was spread out and it worked great...

I have a pair of Bose S1 Pro powered speakers for just that purpose. What did you use and why?
Old 07-25-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I have a pair of Bose S1 Pro powered speakers for just that purpose. What did you use and why?
I used one of my JBL PRX12s. It was a celebration of life on an outdoor deck but they opened up an pretty big area to the side and brought in tables and chairs because they expected a lot of people. The Roy handled the deck and the other speaker handled the other seating area
Old 07-25-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock School Of Music View Post
I used one of my JBL PRX12s. It was a celebration of life on an outdoor deck but they opened up an pretty big area to the side and brought in tables and chairs because they expected a lot of people. The Roy handled the deck and the other speaker handled the other seating area
One of my favorite setups is my JAM 400 with two PRX 710s. The 10's in the PRX710s seem to work great with the dual 8s of the Jam 400. I have covered huge gigs with this setup!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:39 PM

Ah, Roy... So I played at a wedding a couple of weeks ago. I previously used Bose L1 and then downsized to a Bose Compact. Both are/were incredible and I miss certain aspects of them. But... Roy cut through about 150 people in a courtyard while maintaining his "dignity". The sound was never forced and maintained its warm even when I had things at fairly high levels. FYI, on that day (a 95 degree day in the San Francisco Bay Area), I played my Taylor 414 FLTD Nylon with an older ES2. I utilize Channel 7 and enable the "warmth" mode. It works very well with nylon guitars! I forgot my amp stand so here is how my setup looked!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz8h_KuHqFI/
Old 08-07-2019, 01:47 PM

I have gone through both the full L1 and the compact as well. Like you, I liked them both. I just prefer the convenience of a single box. I wouldn't want to do it without the stand though.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:49 PM

Hi guys I'm on the fence between the Roy, the Baggs Synapse and the Evox Jmix8.

I tend to like column arrays for their huge low end and envelopping sound, due to the wide dispersion I guess. I just had a gig with a Maui 11 G2 and my voice sounded amazing, I've got deep lows that where shaking people's bodies for the better.

I remember the L1c doing the same effect on voices in particular : big, flattered fat voice. And a sensation to be immersed with sound.

Now, will the Roy give me these same effects? I've read many good points about the low end, about the dispersion but does it match the good column-array types?

The Evox Jmix8 is about the same weight as the Roy but doesn't need to be lifted up... has a great mixer and app... and sounded amazing when I streamed music via bluetooth. Anybody could compare the two?

Then there is the Synapse... but the price is really up the roof. I have a sweet deal on a Jmix8 at the moment, I'd like to be sure I'm not missing something out with the Roy.

Thanks !
Old 12-23-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin'Robin View Post
Hi guys I'm on the fence between the Roy, the Baggs Synapse and the Evox Jmix8.

I tend to like column arrays for their huge low end and envelopping sound, due to the wide dispersion I guess. I just had a gig with a Maui 11 G2 and my voice sounded amazing, I've got deep lows that where shaking people's bodies for the better.

I remember the L1c doing the same effect on voices in particular : big, flattered fat voice. And a sensation to be immersed with sound.

Now, will the Roy give me these same effects? I've read many good points about the low end, about the dispersion but does it match the good column-array types?

The Evox Jmix8 is about the same weight as the Roy but doesn't need to be lifted up... has a great mixer and app... and sounded amazing when I streamed music via bluetooth. Anybody could compare the two?

Then there is the Synapse... but the price is really up the roof. I have a sweet deal on a Jmix8 at the moment, I'd like to be sure I'm not missing something out with the Roy.

Thanks !
I've never been a fan of Bose and I've never used the other systems mentioned so I can't comment but as far as the Roy I've been using one for a while. I've played some big rooms/small rooms and some larger out door areas and dispersion was never a problem. The sound is so clean and full it carries in a pleasant way.

As far as the vocals the Roy is very transparent. I'm picky about my vocals and the Roy sounds like me, not boxy like so many other acoustic amps but full and clean.

I would also recommend a pole mount and a small speaker stand.

The good news is there's a lot of good options out there you just have to pick the system with the features that are important to you. Good luck on your journey
Old 12-23-2019, 06:58 PM

I was worried about room coverage and dispersion when I bought my Roy, but I have found it to be excellent. From posts I've read on this forum, I believe it is the consensus Amon Roy and Jam 400 owners.

Having said that, putting a speaker stand mount on the bottom to us with a short speaker stand really helps.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:17 AM

how does it do with a KK mini? does the onboard mixer shape the sound enough or is a floor preamp needed?
Old 08-16-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
how does it do with a KK mini? does the onboard mixer shape the sound enough or is a floor preamp needed?
Depends on the guitar and the K&K install.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
I've found with most sbt like the kk you need a
Preamp or at a minimum a di box.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I don’t have the Roy, I have the Jam 400, and if all I have is my K&K guitar, my Jam, and a cable, I can still get a very good sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification