The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Default When a guitar starts drying out...

does the tuning go sharper or flatter? I'm not talking about extremes here.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Depends what wood has the greater movement to humidity I would guess.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM

Default Drying out

Im not sure it has much affect that way, it has more of an impact on action as the top rises or falls.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
Im not sure it has much affect that way, it has more of an impact on action as the top rises or falls.
I believe that will alter the tuning slightly?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Depends upon which way the wood moves when it dries out... variations in tune happen all the time with acoustic guitars, especially...

When they get hot, they go flat... when the go from hot or warm to cool or cold, they go sharp. I always attributed that to the metal in the strings contracting or expanding... but certainly the entire guitar would influence the tuning to a great degree.

The damage that's going to occur from extreme dryness or humidity doesn't happen "overnight'; most times, a guitar has to be over or under humidified for a good while before anything radical happens.

I know that, when I have had guitars in Hawaii, for example, where the humidity is generally in the 70's to 80% range, my guitar will start to sound like it's been stuffed full of old, wet socks... whereas when dried-out, it will sound REALLY crisp and clear and gloriously loud... that is, until things start to crack and warp and move all over the place!

Seems a cruel trick that a guitar should sound SO GOOD when it's dried to the point of risking damage... just another paradox of life, I suppose...

If I HAD to make a guess on which way a guitar's tuning would go, I'd say it would go flat when over-humidified and sharp when under-humidified... mostly caused by the neck-set changing from the humidity, well before the top moving would affect the tuning...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion