The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Ventura Bruno Classical

Hey all -- my aunt called me the other day after pulling a ventura bruno model v 1585. I've been googling around and I can't find much about it. Anyone familiar with these or know of a good resource to check them out? Thanks!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 PM

Bruno sold a variety of guitars. I recently bought a Ventura V-11 steel string guitar on eBay. The best website I could find was this one:

http://www.catoosatrading.com/ventura_guitar.html

Have fun with the guitar ...
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Hi

Ventura guitars are a decent lower end vintage Japanese guitar. There are a lot of people that swear by them. They are decent quality. I bought a 70's 1585 on ebay, not a scratch on it and had been sitting in the closet for manys years for $75.

The 1585 is mahogany sides and back. The Ventura's are a lot better than the Chinese junk that is on the market for that level. The 1588 which is the top of the line, is made of rosewood, I'm guesssing laminated, goes for about $275 to $300 on ebay.

Your aunt found a good one!

Tom C.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:14 AM

Default Ventura V-1588: Need help with age of.

Found one in a pawn shop. Don't know how to translate serial # C14467 and has a stamp on the label "B 789". Looking inside, I can see a definite grain pattern and it matches almost exactly with the outside,both back and sides. The reason I bought this was because I had been looking at numerous classicals and never liked the sound I got until this one. Very rich with good sustain. The 75.00 price tag was a bonus.Plays well but even after pro set-up doesn't stay in tune very long. Might change out the tuners.Has as new nut and bridge lowered. Doubt if I'll ever look to get a higher end one,the tone is that good. Will get a drop in pick-up cuz want to hear it thru amp.You can see the top has an aged patina about it so if anyone can help with age, would appreciate. Label says Ventura Bruno in addition to afforementioned stamp.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
Plays well but even after pro set-up doesn't stay in tune very long. Might change out the tuners.Has as new nut and bridge lowered.
If it's had a pro set-up with new nut and bridge work, odds are good it had new strings installed as well. You may want to hold off on new tuners until after you've played it and tweaked the factory tuners for a few weeks to allow the nylon strings to settle in.

My best guesstimate on age would be made in early-to-mid 1970s, can recall seeing ads for Ventura/Bruno guitars back then.

spayzkadet
Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 AM

Default Ventura V-1588: Need help with age of.

Yup. Has new strings. Thanx. Found the 1970 catalog at catoosa website mentioned above. There was a pic of my guitar. Has "hand selected matching rosewood back and sides". Top wasn't mentioned, but inside edge at soundhole is finished and rounded,indicating solid wood top. It listed price at 110.00. Feel i got a great guitar here. Like i said, had best sound of many i tried at GC. Value today; who cares, am keeping this one. (ok, if someone offered the family jewels i might consider.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Default Lots of interest here

Have you guys noticed how many people have viewed this topic? Seems to be a lot of curiousity about an obscure classical guitar. Just a thought. Also, I cleaned tuners with alcohol and oiled them . Better response now, but strings are only a week old and starting to hold tuning better. Really want to keep it original. The tone is really amazing w/ savarez strings(high tension).
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Staying in tune yet?? LOL

Just googled the Bruno and saw this. I've owned 3 or 4 Classical guitars, and a week is just a start to really stay in tune. I see that many pro players leave the treble strings on to the point of brittle, but change the bass strings fairly often. It get's a nice sound when to that point, but not for everyone. You can have the guitar for months playing it everyday, and tuning it every day, but leave it in the case for a week, it will probably be out of tune a bit, but another thing is the strings are a little like rubber bands...know how you might give steel strings a little stretch before tuning after not playing for a while ...do that with nylon, and after a few minutes, if they are older, they will tighten back up and you'll be sharp. If you ever run into a Goya nylon string, preferably from the 50's, I would recommend trying it out. Levinson made great guitars, but in the US, most people aren't all that familiar with them. They chose Goya figuring nobody would buy a "Spanish Guitar" from somebody with a Swedish name. Great solid woods, loud, good sustain, great tone. How is the Bruno holding up?? Thanks!! Steve
Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 AM

Default Ventura v1588

Have this guitar about 2 plus yrs now. As we all do, am still trying out different classicals,mostly C5 and C7 cordova. So far, am very content with my Ventura. If the tone is any different or better than mine, it ain't different enough to validate buying another brand. I also have a wireless mic that I use when performing magic for larger crowds, and it works terrific when used on my ventura. Just put some of that putty they have for picture hanging and wow. When amped, this guitar is awesome. (I just stick it to the top and push the tip of it down thru the sound hole) Sooo, at this point, I'll just stick with my Ventura.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Ventura v1588

Have this guitar about 2 plus yrs now. As we all do, am still trying out different classicals,mostly C5 and C7 cordova. So far, am very content with my Ventura. If the tone is any different or better than mine, it ain't different enough to validate buying another brand. I also have a wireless mic that I use when performing magic for larger crowds, and it works terrific when used on my ventura. Just put some of that putty they have for picture hanging and wow. When amped, this guitar is awesome. (I just stick it to the top and push the tip of it down thru the sound hole) Sooo, at this point, I'll just stick with my Ventura.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 AM

Default My Ventura Bruno

I have had my Ventura Bruno since 1970 and it still has a warm rich tone. I have played a few other classical guitars and for the most part, I like the sound of it better than the others. I am not professional, I just play for fun and it is the perfect guitar for me. I have no plans to get rid of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical