The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Default Converting Split Saddle Transducer into one

I have a Fishman Ellipse Blend that came with my Lowden. I took it out ages ago and replaced it with a K&K Mini, stored the Fishman somewhere safe and forgot about it.

Fast forward 5 years later, I bought a Rainsong with no electronics installed.

Recently, I was rummaging in my room and found the Fishman again and I thought it would pair nicely with my Rainsong.

The only problem is that the undersaddle pickup is a split saddle and the Rainsong is not. When I line them up together, they're the same length.

Could I just simply line up the saddle together or solder them, and would it work just fine? Or, buy any aftermarket transducer. As long as there's a sound, I'm ok with that...I'm really going to be mainly using this with the Tonewood Amp.

I emailed Fishman about this and they didn't really answer my question and instead replied with saying that I need to buy a new transducer. For what I'm using it for, I'm not paying $100.

I mean, if it really won't work, I think it would be fine If I'm just on Mic mode the whole time using the Tonewood amp. Does anyone have any experience with this combo? The only drawback I can see is the feedback since I'll be on 100% mic mode the whole time...

Last edited by hatamoto; 10-08-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:21 PM

How about a gray market copy transducer. It will be cheap and unsplit.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Piezo&_sacat=0

All of these appear to be ~3/32" or ~2 mm, not a perfect match to the 1/8" RainSong saddle but probably good enough (and your split pickup is likely 3/32" anyway...).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-09-2020, 01:29 PM

Or buy a new JJB 330 or 220. Not very expensive and as good as a K&K in my experience.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair