The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Default luv my Fishman Aura Blender

I bought this a few years back when it first came out. I've never run a guitar thru it that the amplifed tone wasn't improved. Many times drastically improved. If you read about them they are for UST's only. But, this past week I tried my Webber and my Gibson both of which have a K & K Western mini and they sounded great. Matter of fact my Webber has the $pensive trinity system using the external pre-amp, mic and mini. I've never liked the way it sounds with it. But with the Aura it's great. The only drawback is having to use a power chord. Does anyone else use this and like it?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:45 PM

I still have one as well as the Dread pedal and the Spectrum.... haven't tried it lately with my newer guitars and a couple have the K&K Mini and many more amps to try too... I'll giver a shot... thanks for giving me somethin' more to do.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM

It doesn't surprise me that the Aura technology might be helpful, to some extent, with the mini-Pure. I ended up doing most of the songs on my CD project with a mini-Pure equipped OM run thru a DTAR Mama Bear digital processor. Mama Bear isn't recommended for use with SBTs, but that was the setup which was working best for me at the time. For my taste, Mama Bear gave the mini-Pure signal a little more of an outside-the-guitar listening perspective, a little less of an inside-the-guitar listening perspective.

Gary
Old 12-03-2009, 03:28 PM

I bought a used Aura Blender that I like very much with my guitars that are equipped with a Fishman Matrix Infinity UST.....However, I now play a Yamaha LLX16 & play that through a simple Radial J-48 direct box....The electronics in the Yamaha are so good that I don't need any additional EQ other than on the mixer channel....
The Yamaha A.R.T. pickup system has revolutionized my live sound....Someday I hope a comparable system will be available as an aftermarket option....They would sell them like hotcakes! ......Highly Recommended!!
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 12-03-2009, 03:36 PM

I feel exactly the same way about my Takamines (tc132sc and TH-5C) wth the CTP-2 and Palathetic pickups (for nylon strings). And I go directly into my Fishman SoloAmp (or A-Ref). I do have a DI+, but I leave it at home to power the guitars for practice.....

(Well, ok, sometimes I put my Boss GT-10 in the s/r loop for fun, but it is not necessary at all....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneyard75 View Post
However, I now play a Yamaha LLX16 & play that through a simple Radial J-48 direct box....The electronics in the Yamaha are so good that I don't need any additional EQ other than on the mixer channel....
The Yamaha A.R.T. pickup system has revolutionized my live sound....Someday I hope a comparable system will be available as an aftermarket option....They would sell them like hotcakes! ......Highly Recommended!!

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 12-03-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I bought a used Aura Blender that I like very much with my guitars that are equipped with a Fishman Matrix Infinity UST.....However, I now play a Yamaha LLX16 & play that through a simple Radial J-48 direct box....The electronics in the Yamaha are so good that I don't need any additional EQ other than on the mixer channel....
I've heard that the ART system doesn't get as boomy and feedback prone, at high gain levels, as a typical SBT system does. Has that been your experience, Boneyard?

I noticed, from Acoustic Guitar mag's review of the LLX16, that it has a 1&3/4" nut. It would be nice if Yamaha also built a steel-string cutaway with a wider string spacing. My "issue" with the APX and CPX models has been the overly narrow (for my taste) string spacing.

In any event, its easy to believe that Yamaha has come up with something special with the ART system. They keep coming out with new ART-equipped models. I doubt that an aftermarket system is in the cards, however. The exact placement of the multi-layered sensors is said to be critical, and the ART-equipped models are obviously designed with ART compatability being a high priority. I've noticed, for instance, that the new NX series nylon-stringers have unusually long bridges. I suspect that there are structural differences (from a typical nylon stringer) inside the NX models as well.

Man I love this "Fields of Gold" tune that Rosli Mansor is playing on his NX guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfGDwjg6NI0

Gary
Old 12-03-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I've heard that the ART system doesn't get as boomy and feedback prone, at high gain levels, as a typical SBT system does. Has that been your experience, Boneyard?

I noticed, from Acoustic Guitar mag's review of the LLX16, that it has a 1&3/4" nut. It would be nice if Yamaha also built a steel-string cutaway with a wider string spacing. My "issue" with the APX and CPX models has been the overly narrow (for my taste) string spacing.

In any event, its easy to believe that Yamaha has come up with something special with the ART system. They keep coming out with new ART-equipped models. I doubt that an aftermarket system is in the cards, however. The exact placement of the multi-layered sensors is said to be critical, and the ART-equipped models are obviously designed with ART compatability being a high priority. I've noticed, for instance, that the new NX series nylon-stringers have unusually long bridges. I suspect that there are structural differences (from a typical nylon stringer) inside the NX models as well.

Man I love this "Fields of Gold" tune that Rosli Mansor is playing on his NX guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfGDwjg6NI0

Gary
Old 12-03-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by guitaniac
Gary....The guitar is not boomy at all....I think their layered, dampening contact pickups do just what they're designed to do....And you may well be right about the placement of the pickups.....I'll bet a small movement makes a big difference....
Has anyone ever tried layering the K&K pickups?
Nonetheless, I would love to install this system in one of my Martins!
Boneyard
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I bought this a few years back when it first came out.
Me too... then I got busy playing a lot more electric and it went into a storage bin... dragged it out tonight for use with a Baggs M1A (actually a Takamine Tri-Ax which is a Baggs M1 with switchable active/passive...) Then I tear into the manual one more time and the original Blender patches included 5 soundhole pickup models... "Nice." Dialed in my slope dread using the Jumbo Maple dynamic mic and I'm feeling pretty happy at the moment. Sound check it Thursday night and see where I land from there... will probably do a few more presets between now and then...

GAS would dictate selling the original Blender for $200 and buying the NEW one for $329, but I'm gonna spend some time with this one again first... I've got a small pedalboard I'm rigging up for acoustic so I'll bolt this thing to it and give it a chance... wish it had an effects loop but so it goes............

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification