The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Unhappy l.r. baggs element problem

I have and Lr baggs element in my Larrivee. I can't get all of the strings to sound. At first it was the bottom 3 strings were too loud but I could'nt even hear the top 2...I took the strings off and shifted the pickup a little, now the bottom string is hard to hear and the next 3 strings are loud...the top two are almost silent...do I just have a bad pickup??
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Me

Because you have verified that both ends of the pickup work, I suspect the saddle is not resting evenly on the pickup. This could be for 3 reasons that I can think of -
1) the bottom of the saddle isn't flat.
2) the bottom of the saddle slot isn't flat
3) the saddle is too tight to rest against the pickup
If you can't check anything above, take it to a good tech that can.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I have and Lr baggs element in my Larrivee. I can't get all of the strings to sound. At first it was the bottom 3 strings were too loud but I could'nt even hear the top 2...I took the strings off and shifted the pickup a little, now the bottom string is hard to hear and the next 3 strings are loud...the top two are almost silent...do I just have a bad pickup??
I'd check to see that the bottom of the saddle is completely flat. Then, I'd check to see that it is not binding in the slot (it should be snug, but not tight), and finally, that the bottom of the saddle slot is cleanly routed and perfectly flat. It sounds as though the pickup and preamp are working, though.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 PM

What others have said. I can pretty much guarantee the pickup is functioning properly

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 11-13-2008, 12:15 PM

Also if everything appears to be level make sure that the pickup isn't pinching where it comes in thru the hole on the end of the saddle slot. Make sure there are no burrs on the hole. Use a tiny file to remove any if necessary.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Also if everything appears to be level make sure that the pickup isn't pinching where it comes in thru the hole on the end of the saddle slot. Make sure there are no burrs on the hole. Use a tiny file to remove any if necessary.
Well, guess what, it pays to re-read the manuel. I re-drilled the hole at an angle like the instructions said and now the pickup works fine. Thanks, now it sounds great!!

Last edited by $ongWriter; 11-19-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: mis spelled
Old 11-19-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Well, guess what, it pays to re-read the manuel. I re-drilled the hole at an angle like the instructions said and now the pickup works fine. Thanks, now it sounds great!!

Ahhh Yes! I think most USTs (if not all) recommend drilling at an angle. I generally also try to ream that entry hole a tad over-sized so there's no chance of binding. Interesting that Baggs has it right with their instruction manual that if you install it yourself it voids the warranty. Gotta love it! Glad to hear your problem was minor, $ongwriter. I like the Element. It's a really natural sounding UST, IMO....

Ryan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification