The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 02-01-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Looking to Buy A Fraulini Guitar

I'm looking to buy a Fraulini guitar. If you have one to sell contact me with what you are looking to move. What I am truly looking for is an Angelina.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-01-2020, 04:43 PM

Stay Gold Guitars has 4 Fraulini's currently, including an Angelina. Their website doesn't appear to be up yet, but here's a link to the instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B79pCP1H..._web_copy_link
Old 02-02-2020, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks mbilly I'm following up on this.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

For now, they have this: https://staygoldguitars.com/

Keep an eye on it, as I would think it will be developed into a full-fledged site.

So, here is what is wrong with AGF...

Just when I think I am all set for guitars and ready to settle in for the long term, somebody comes along and innocently introduces me (and everyone else here) to another stellar builder. Now, I will be looking into this Fraulini builder.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-02-2020, 09:45 PM

Check out Preservation Guitar Company. The builder apprenticed under Todd Cambio (Fraulini) and word is she's darned good.

Last edited by Clovenhand; 02-02-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Clean up
Old 02-02-2020, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Just when I think I am all set for guitars and ready to settle in for the long term, somebody comes along and innocently introduces me (and everyone else here) to another stellar builder. Now, I will be looking into this Fraulini builder.

Tony
I have emailed Shawn and so this journey begins. He's sending me pictures and specs. I hope there's one I can get into.

I'll warn you though they are an acquired taste. You pretty much have to be into certain styles of guitar playing / music to have a use for them. Then they are about the only guitar made that'll fit the nitch. YouTube Mary Flowers as she plays one now. And she does it very well. There's a two year wait to have one built for you. I have wanted one for years but didn't have the guts to pursue it. Then when I did I found out it's a two year wait. This will be the last guitar on my bucket list as I have worked my way through all the others. We'll see what happens.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovenhand View Post
Check out Preservation Guitar Company. The builder apprenticed under Todd Cambio (Fraulini) and word is she's darned good.
Thanks. They look pretty cool. I'll keep my eye on her.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post

I'll warn you though they are an acquired taste. You pretty much have to be into certain styles of guitar playing / music to have a use for them. Then they are about the only guitar made that'll fit the nitch. YouTube Mary Flowers as she plays one now. And she does it very well. There's a two year wait to have one built for you.
I'm in a similar boat -- I've been looking for a 14-fret Angelina like Mary's for probably longer than I would have had to wait if I'd just gotten on the waiting list. I think it's that I'm reasonably happy with the six-string I use for most of my blues playing right now, so a Fraulini is something I'd like to have but don't feel like I *must* have.

Re: other guitars that fit the niche of the Angelina, they're not the same, but Hauver and Waterloo (Collings) are bought by the same guitarists to play a lot of the same styles.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkapus View Post
I'm in a similar boat -- I've been looking for a 14-fret Angelina.
FYI
Shawn said that he has two Angelina Fraulinis. One with maple back and sides. So far that's about all I know.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have emailed Shawn and so this journey begins. He's sending me pictures and specs. I hope there's one I can get into.

I'll warn you though they are an acquired taste. You pretty much have to be into certain styles of guitar playing / music to have a use for them. Then they are about the only guitar made that'll fit the nitch. YouTube Mary Flowers as she plays one now. And she does it very well. There's a two year wait to have one built for you. I have wanted one for years but didn't have the guts to pursue it. Then when I did I found out it's a two year wait. This will be the last guitar on my bucket list as I have worked my way through all the others. We'll see what happens.
On youtube, both Mary's playing and her guitar sound quite good. The guitar sounds very clear so you can hear everything that is going on. I prefer that clarity, but already have it in my 2019 Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition. I would have to hear the Fraulini live to really appreciate it, but on youtube it sounds very clear rather than deep and bassy.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-03-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkapus View Post
I'm in a similar boat -- I've been looking for a 14-fret Angelina like Mary's for probably longer than I would have had to wait if I'd just gotten on the waiting list. I think it's that I'm reasonably happy with the six-string I use for most of my blues playing right now, so a Fraulini is something I'd like to have but don't feel like I *must* have.

Re: other guitars that fit the niche of the Angelina, they're not the same, but Hauver and Waterloo (Collings) are bought by the same guitarists to play a lot of the same styles.
I have played a handful of Hauvers and Waterloos.

IMHO, a Fraulini is a different beast. Just such an amazing guitar...You really feel the "mark of the hand" in all aspects...it is most definitatly a hand made guitar and you know it(in a good way).

My Fraulini Erma is the guitar I have owned the longest(12 years I think?).

I have played 4 Fraulini's, and they have all been blues/ragtime/fingerpicking monsters. Very musical tone and sure to please. I can also play jazz and classical pieces on mine....ugh, just my favorite new guitar I have played in the past decade(a recent martin 000-30 authentic came close). I have no idea what a new Fraulini goes for these days, but a used one has to be a bargain.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-04-2020 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Indeed the Fraulini is an impressive guitar. I was lucky enough to attend Mary Flower's two shows and a small workshop here in CA last year and got to hear it up close. It sure sings, and it especially loves ragtime.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:14 PM

Thunder Road just posted an Erma, FYI.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8kRh-FHJvm/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars