The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Alvarez and Breedlove are two brands that I have found consistently offer nice options for what you are seeking in your price range. The Alvarez parlors are closer to a 00 than a parlor in size but still very portable. I have the Masterworks series MAP66shb which is a bit more than your budget but I also have owned the AP66sb and the AP70 and both were great guitars just under your limit. Not boxy, comfortable 24.2" scale length. One thing to note about these though is that the string spacing at the saddle is just a bit over 2 and 1/8th so you might prefer wider spacing there. I believe that the Breedloves are 2 and 1/4".

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-24-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil40272 View Post
The Martin dread Jr,isn't a 12 fret, but it does have a bit shorter scale length.These definitely does not sound boxy.
I had one, and sold it to make room and money for another guitar.
Now I have started looking for another one, I miss that guitar.
Hey bil, I played a Martin 000CJr-10E today which is not a 12 either but I was impressed with the little guitar. All solid wood. I believe he had it for around $600. If your looking for replacement for your dread jr you might consider this one.

Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe
Martin D-16
Les Paul Tribute
Kenny Hill Player - Classical
Guild 1971 dread
Yamaha LS6
Goldtone 5 string banjo
Loar Mandolin
Fender Sqieur Strat Ibanez
Ibanez GIO
Epiphone es339
Grote es 335 copy
Harley Benton acoustic nylon crossover
Angel Lopez (Godin multiac copy)
assorted ululeles
Old 01-24-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Alvarez and Breedlove are two brands that I have found consistently offer nice options for what you are seeking in your price range. The Alvarez parlors are closer to a 00 than a parlor in size but still very portable. I have the Masterworks series MAP66shb which is a bit more than your budget but I also have owned the AP66sb and the AP70 and both were great guitars just under your limit. Not boxy, comfortable 24.2" scale length. One thing to note about these though is that the string spacing at the saddle is just a bit over 2 and 1/8th so you might prefer wider spacing there. I believe that the Breedloves are 2 and 1/4".

Best,
Jayne
The Alvarez AP7O and AP66 have been on my list for a while but can't find one to sample. I saw a guy playing one you have in a guitar video tutorial and was impressed. I actually played a Breedlove today, can't remember the model but the price was around $500. It was ok but can't really tell much about it cause it was at a Guitar Center and the thing needed new strings and set up. I'll keep looking, thanks.

Martin D-16
Les Paul Tribute
Guild 1971 dread
Yamaha LS6
Goldtone 5 string banjo
Loar Mandolin
Ibanez GIO
Epiphone es339
Grote es 335 copy
assorted ululeles
Old 01-24-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I second this, Recording King make some excellent 12 fretters within your budget range.
I played a RP-G6 today which I believe is a grade down from the ROS-G6 or maybe a 00 rather than a 000. Anyway it had a really good tone range. The seemed a little skinny but according to the specs it's got a 1-11/16" nut so it must be my perception. Anyway as good as it was I'm guessing the ROS-G6 is even better.

Martin D-16
Les Paul Tribute
Guild 1971 dread
Yamaha LS6
Goldtone 5 string banjo
Loar Mandolin
Ibanez GIO
Epiphone es339
Grote es 335 copy
assorted ululeles
Old 02-09-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Gosh, this thread is making me want a 12 fret. The Breedlove Discovery Concertina checks all the boxes for me for a fun couch (or play in front of the computer) guitar: 12 fret, 1 11/16, short scale. At $299 brand new shipped on Reverb it might be a no brainer for me. Just need to make some room around here ....

Rob
Old 02-09-2020, 02:18 PM

Alvarez Blues 51. 1 3/4” nut, short scale, 00 size, great tone and (with set up), great playability....... often overlooked.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 02-09-2020, 02:53 PM

Former bandmate had a Kala (yes, the ukulele company) parlor guitar - available direct for under $250 brand-new w/factory gig bag (not sold in stores TMK) - that he set up with a K&K system:

https://kalabrand.com/collections/gu.../parlor-guitar

Surprisingly good acoustically, extremely natural-sounding plugged in, and at a net cost of under $350 you're not going to find anything that'll beat it IME - seriously thinking of picking one up for myself as an open-mic/jamming guitar...
Old 02-09-2020, 04:41 PM

Why not a Taylor gs mini, 14-fret but you’d be happy with it.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Former bandmate had a Kala (yes, the ukulele company) parlor guitar - available direct for under $250 brand-new w/factory gig bag (not sold in stores TMK) - that he set up with a K&K system:

https://kalabrand.com/collections/gu.../parlor-guitar

Surprisingly good acoustically, extremely natural-sounding plugged in, and at a net cost of under $350 you're not going to find anything that'll beat it IME - seriously thinking of picking one up for myself as an open-mic/jamming guitar...
Whoa, that Kala looks sweet. Cedar top, too, so it'd sound warmer than many of the other options given in this thread (plus it'll open up quicker than most!) FWIW, I found a demo on YT:

2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass

Last edited by personatech; 02-10-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Art & Lutherie

A lot of folks think that Art & Lutherie guitars are just carbon copies of Seagulls with a more traditional headstock. Not true. Case in point, the Seagull Grand is a 14-fret parlor size but the Art and Lutherie Roadhouse series is 12-fret:

Canadian-made and fits your budget new with a gig bag. Nut width will be a bit smaller than some (1.72") and scale is (I think) a full 25.5".

Alternatively, you could keep your eyes open for one of their cedar-top AMI parlors used.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion