The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-25-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Custom Build: Rocky Mountain Guitar Antero by Jeff Bamburg: Bearclaw Spruce & Coco

I Commissioned this last year as Jeff has accumulated quite a wait list (No Surprise there!!). This is the Antero, the Mini Jumbo model of Rocky Mountain Guitars.

Now that she's mostly done, I wanted to show you guys this whole process. This will be the 4th guitar by Jeff that I have owned. This is my 3rd commissioned guitar. When I talked to Jeff about this guitar, I felt like I REALLY knew what I wanted. Woods, binding, bevels, neck profile, rosettes, etc etc. It was so picky that I only trusted Jeff to execute this.

TOP: Alaskan Lucky 12 Bearclaw Sitka. I really wanted a Bearclaw top. Jeff had some selections of these. The "Lucky 12" is from a sinker log that was preserved under water for decades before being pulled back up to the surface.

Back & Sides: Originally I was thinking Brazilian. But Jeff had some really cool slabs of Coco and I've always been a Coco fan. Almost has a Brazilian look to it with more red.

Neck: Mahogany with Striped Ebony fretboard. Rust purfling with Ebony Binding.

Bevels/Bindings: I ended up getting Ebony since the Coco and Spruce already have alot of figurings in them. Wanted something to kind of distinguish them rather than getting a flamed wood to add more figure. Chose Coco for the Rosette and Rosette Binding.Used a rust colored purfling on the bindings and on the fretboard.

Misc Measurements: Nut 1-3/4", Bridge 2-3/16", 25.5 Scale, EVO Frets.

Case: Hoffee Silver Carbon with Blue Interior.

Pickup: LR Baggs Anthem

Tuners: Gotoh 510 with Charis Wood Buttons

Neck Profile: Slim C (a tad of V). I use my thumbs alot to wrap around the top (thanks John Mayer) so I wanted something that was easier to grip and wrap my hand around.

A couple of the things I really like that Jeff added were the countersunk Tuners where the washer is countersunk level with the headplate veneer. You see that alot on higher end electrics like Tom Andersons. I also like the Truss cover because it's magnetic. No more tiny screws!

We are just waiting for the Hoffee Case to get done before he ships it. Will give some feedback once I receive it. According to Jeff, the pictures don't do this guitar any Justice because you need to see it in real life to capture the bearclaw and coco figurings. Jeff knocks it out of the park every time and is super great to deal with.

I'll post pics in comments. To start: Here are our raw materials when we came up with the idea.

Last edited by Matt83YL; 01-25-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Phase 2: Building the Box and Neck

Old 01-25-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Phase 3: Finishing

Last edited by Matt83YL; 01-25-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Phase 4: Final Set Up and Completion

Last edited by Matt83YL; 01-25-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new guitar...
Old 01-25-2020, 12:01 PM

I absolutely *adore* the non-shouty-ness (not really a word) of it. Elegant and woody.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz View Post
I absolutely *adore* the non-shouty-ness (not really a word) of it. Elegant and woody.
Ha! That's my word of the day! I absolutely agree. I've only played one Bamburg, but it was similarly tasteful: very elegant in looks and sound. Congrats!
Old 01-25-2020, 06:33 PM

Congrats!!! Beautiful guitar.....yes, elegant...showcasing the beautiful tonewood. Love it!
My FSC (Carpathian/Macassar Ebony) remains one of the most resonant guitars I've ever played. Got to work directly with Jeff as the guitar was in his shop at the time I purchased it from the seller. Great guy.
Let's hear your reviews as you receive this beauty!!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop