The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Amps With Looper & Vocal Harmonizer?

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but aside from the Boss Acoustic Singer models are there any other choices in acoustic amps that offer built in looping & vocal harmonizing options? I have been out of the game for 15 years and although I do own a pretty nice little Roland AC-60 I am thinking of moving on and I just don't know what's out there these days. I have given some thought to simply adding a Boss VE-8 between my guitar and amp but I think I'd prefer going with an amp with these features built in over adding a pedal. I figure there must be other options I'm not aware of. Thanks so much for any help.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:33 AM

Using separate stompboxes is so much better. Chance to change the gear without replacing the amp. Chance to plug into someone else's system (PA, etc) without bringing the amp. More options for adjustment (loop time, harmonizer settings). Better control (multiple button foot switches).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-24-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Mike. This is the kind of info I need. I'm coming from a long hiatus from playing and back in the day I was an electric player who just dabbled in the acoustic side of things so I have very limited knowledge on this subject.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:25 AM

I have the Acoustic Singer live and although there are better separate harmonizing and looper options out there, I use a separate looper myself, having pretty darn good options in a small but loud all in one package is most definitely convenient as hell.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:26 AM

Spending other people’s money is a great pastime around here. I had a VE-8 myself with the extra pedal to make it a two button looper. I liked it fine but moved on to an Acoustic Soulmate, but depending on how much looping power you need there are very robust options for that feature alone.

The Boss I believe is 30 seconds which can be limiting. If you wanted to give a budget and use case scenario we could probably give you a number of good options to cover what you need.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Spending other people’s money is a great pastime around here. I had a VE-8 myself with the extra pedal to make it a two button looper. I liked it fine but moved on to an Acoustic Soulmate, but depending on how much looping power you need there are very robust options for that feature alone.

The Boss I believe is 30 seconds which can be limiting. If you wanted to give a budget and use case scenario we could probably give you a number of good options to cover what you need.
I love my VE-8 for harmonizing and guitar effects for variety's sake, but as noted here it's widely agreed the looper is limited and there are lots of better options. And I've never seen the looper feature used in the wild.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post

I'm pretty much content with the tone of my AC-60. The EQ and built in effects seem to be fine for me and my rootsy/bluesy style. Honestly, I'm not certain I'd even have any use for vocal harmonies but the looping could come in handy. I'm just curious about these tools because they were not common at all when I was a more active player. As for my budget, I'm not opposed to spending a moderate amount of cash for high quality gear. I'm just a recently retired picker who wants to jam solo and with a few friends at small listening room settings.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm not a looper myself yet--partly because of the inferiority of the looper on my otherwise beloved VE-8--but I've bookmarked units recommended highly by others.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...recorder-pedal

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DittoX2

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/720Looper

I'd say the Ditto in particular got lots of raves, here and elsewhere.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:14 PM

Default Amps With Looper & Vocal Harmonizer?

I had a Ditto X4 and liked it. No trouble with it either, but the internet is full of horror stories about them failing. I use the built in one on the Acoustic Soulmate now which is a basic two button looper with a long recording time.

I’d ask yourself if you want to save more than the last loop, which if so eliminates a number of them. Also, if you want to loop voice and guitar or just guitar.

For voice and basic looping you could get a used Play Acoustic for less than two bills to start. If you really get into looping you may decide to upgrade just that down the road and keep the PA for vocals, and you may find you like some of the effects for guitar.

If it were me though, and I was happy with my amp and not looking for guitar effects, I’d follow MikeB’s advice and get a separate looper and vocal pedal (used), so it wouldn’t be a big issue to try something else down the road as your tastes change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification