The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-23-2019, 09:28 PM

Default K&K mini vs. Trinity system

I recently bought a Santa Cruz OM/PW that has a K&K trinity system but the mic was disconnected. I am familiar with the mini and like it very much. I am wondering if I should hook the mic back up to complete the Trinity system. I was hoping to bet some input from those of you who have compared the two systems back to back.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisBrookshire View Post
I recently bought a Santa Cruz OM/PW that has a K&K trinity system but the mic was disconnected. I am familiar with the mini and like it very much. I am wondering if I should hook the mic back up to complete the Trinity system. I was hoping to bet some input from those of you who have compared the two systems back to back.
Hi LB

All 4 of my acoustic guitars have the K&K dual source (K&K Pure mini plus internal mic) and all four are passive. I think the Trinity label usually indicates active rather than passive.

I've used the K&K dual source rigs for 15 years now, and they are vastly superior to just using a K&K Pure Mini.

The key is pairing the rig with a great dual-source preamp. I have several to choose from. I own a Raven PMB-I, and Raven PMB-II, a DTAR Solstice, and K&K dual channel belt pack preamp. The K&K is the least stellar sounding, the Solstice best, and the Ravens sound nearly identical to the Solstice…which has a slightly lower noise floor.

The Ravens are the most portable (and battery powered). The DTAR gives more input/output options, which sound techs love.

I recently upgraded to a ToneDexter which is producing tone even superior to the K&K dual source rigs using only the K&K Pure Mini.

I'm feeding the ToneDexter with the K&K Pure Mini, and sampling my waveforms with various studio condenser mics I own. It is even more natural than the K&K dual source rigs. The ToneDexter is a preamp plus a digital waveform pedal. It also has an adjustable boost function, notch filter, & simultaneous XLR/¼" output. It allows you to sample and store up to 22 waveforms using different mics and/or mic positions.

I left the K&K mics in my guitars for the purpose of acting as backup should something/anything happen to the ToneDexter.

If you already own a stereo/2-channel preamp which will supply phantom power to the mic…then hook the mic back up and you're good to go. If it requires you acquiring a dual channel preamp, you might want to look at the ToneDexter as an alternative (using just the K&K Pure Mini).

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-24-2019, 04:26 AM

LJ said it all perfectly !

I always preferred the dual source over the pickup alone. In my opinion the K&K really benefits from adding a mic (and the K&K mic is a fine one).
I own a ToneDexter as well, but still prefer the real dual source thing.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-24-2019, 07:52 AM

Just what I was looking for. Thanks Gentlemen!

I don’t currently have a stereo/2 channel preamp so that is the next purchase. Do I need the stereo cable with the trinity system and DTAR like the K&K preamp requires?
Old 12-24-2019, 07:58 AM

Glad we could help.
Yes, a stereo cable is required for that.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-24-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
Glad we could help.
Yes, a stereo cable is required for that.
Another stupid question.....is a stereo cable just a 1/4” speaker cable?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisBrookshire View Post
Another stupid question.....is a stereo cable just a 1/4” speaker cable?
His LB

A Stereo cable for guitar work has TRS ends (Tip/Ring/Sleave), and can carry two channels of signal while plugging in only a single jack. You do 'need' a stereo/TRS cable for dual source guitar pickup rigs.

In days past (early 1990s), we'd have to install dual jacks and then build either a "Y" cable or or tape both cables together and plug them into separate preamps.

TRS is a great way to have it all in a single cable.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-24-2019, 02:09 PM

Ah, duh. That makes sense. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification