The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-01-2019, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

It turns out that my X30 got shipped as promised on Friday, even though I never received the tracking number. Todd, it’s probably the same for you, hopefully you should get your guitar soon
Old 07-01-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
It turns out that my X30 got shipped as promised on Friday, even though I never received the tracking number. Todd, it’s probably the same for you, hopefully you should get your guitar soon
That’s good news!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I ordered my X7 back in November, it shipped on a Friday, but I never got any tracking info from Emerald until I chatted with Keven online on Monday morning. Happy ending because the guitar showed up at about 8 on Tuesday morning, but a couple of mildly anxious days over the weekend...
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well that would be cool! At this point, I'll just wait for a tracking number to appear or for the guitar to show up. Here in the USA, Thursday is a national holiday, so we'll how things flow. Thx for the update...I'm assuming we'll see an NGD post from you soon!

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago
Old 07-01-2019, 10:17 AM

My last Emerald also was shipped during a week with a US holiday. It took eight days total instead of seven. It all depends on whether US Customs and USPS gets Friday off in addition to the Thursday holiday. Fingers crossed for you.

If you get an AN Post tracking number from Kevin, be advised that all tracking data stops once you see the "despatched from Heathrow" note. Sometimes USPS will pick up tracking again after Customs releases your guitar in New York. That usually requires the app instead of their web site. The web site has never caught up with the guitar - it is delivered before the web site knows.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
T0f...

Out if curiosity... did you actually receive a tracking number?

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago
Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Yes, but via chat not email.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Yay!!

I received my official tracking email from Emerald!

As of yesterday 7/1 @ 22:00, my parcel was received at Heathrow hub! If I remember correctly, my next and potentially last tracking will be when it hits New York.

Woohoo!!

Todd in Chicago
Old 07-02-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Yay!!

As of yesterday 7/1 @ 22:00, my parcel was received at Heathrow hub! If I remember correctly, my next and potentially last tracking will be when it hits New York.

Woohoo!!

Todd in Chicago
Outstanding! I am so happy for you. You have weathered this with incredible patience and good humor. I look forward to your NGD post when it arrives.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 07-02-2019, 07:38 AM

Great! Now that the shipping issue has been resolved, let's get back on topic.

There is now a longer clip for the June series X30 baritone...

Unfortunately this baritone still fails to impress me. It lacks a clarity in the high notes which is present in the regular X30. IMO an X30 baritone is tipping the tone balance too much towards the low end.

So I was thinking that perhaps a scale length in between a regular X30 and a baritone could work better. For example 670mm (26.38") like a petite bouche gypsy jazz guitar. I think in lower tunings (e.g. drop D) this would enhance the X30's beautiful low end without sacrificing too much of its clarity.

I would probably use a string gauge of 13-56 in combination with such a scale length (normally I use 12-53). And tuning down each string a whole step should keep the tension about the same.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 07-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Guest 928

Could different strings balance the tone?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
....It lacks a clarity in the high notes which is present in the regular X30. IMO an X30 baritone is tipping the tone balance too much towards the low end.

I would probably use a string gauge of 13-56 in combination with such a scale length (normally I use 12-53). And tuning down each string a whole step should keep the tension about the same.
It is hard to get high end clarity when for a baritone the highest string in that tuning is a regular B. Try taking the first string off your current X30 in E-e tuning and see how that sounds.... My experience with baritones is that they are not good strummers - they just get too muddy. But they excel at finger picking where you can annunciate a bit better, or use partial chord shapes and arpeggios.

When I first got my X30 and heard the low end power, I immediately thought it might make a good pseudo-baritone. I've done that before with other regular scale guitars. I typically use an EJ-18 "heavy gauge" set (59-14) and tune it C-c. Sometimes the 6th string needs a slightly heavier string, say a 62 single. C tuning keeps the tension nominally equal to lights at E-e, and the guitar can certainly handle it. I would have tried it by now if not for the shoulder injury.

I played the X30 for the first time since January on Sunday afternoon, and it still has the factory strings from December (with very little play time on them). I really should have quit playing at about 30 minutes but was in the groove and went for 60. I sure paid the price for the rest of the day and at PT the next morning.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Yay!!

Woohoo!!

Todd in Chicago
One in a row! I found by using my phone and putting the AN Post number in the USPS tracking system, I continued to get updates on my X10 last fall.

There has to be a certain sense of relief not that there is "written proof" that your guitar is on the way. Looking forward to your NGD post!
Old 07-02-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Could different strings balance the tone?
Perhaps, but unless they used very old strings in the video, not much I am afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It is hard to get high end clarity when for a baritone the highest string in that tuning is a regular B.
That does not seem to be a problem for Don Alder in this X20 baritone demo.

I was hoping for a bright tone like that in the X30 baritone with additional bottom end.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 07-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
One in a row! I found by using my phone and putting the AN Post number in the USPS tracking system, I continued to get updates on my X10 last fall.

There has to be a certain sense of relief not that there is "written proof" that your guitar is on the way. Looking forward to your NGD post!
Cap'n....

Yes I remember you saying that so once it hits the states I will try to see if that works for me as well.

And yes there is a certain sense of relief now that there is "written proof" that the guitar has left the proverbial building. ;-)

Can't wait to check that beauty out! My collection has grown lately, but all on the electric side of the house. My last acoustic purchase was my X20-12 a few years ago. And there is actually a little bit of a story to tell about this particular x 30 other than of course "The Wait" which has already been well documented in this thread LOL.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber