The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke_zero View Post
What he said.

Amazing guitar, great sound acoustically/plugged in for a great price. I got one just before Christmas no regrets at all.
FYI - my ntx is for sale if someone needs a crossover.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I just picked up a Yamaha AEX500N2 (kind of rare I believe). I'll report back when I get it the middle of next week.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:13 PM

It is very interesting to read all of your opinions on the different available crossover style instruments. I am also trying to figure out which one is the best for me. I've been playing for 45 years and started out as a classical player for the first 20 years, and so I'm used to the 2 inch nut, and don't like the narrower size. I feel that the Japanese guitars are overbuilt, that is they are too heavy and dead sounding acoustically (i.e. the Yamaha NCX 900 and 2000 and the Takamine TH5C and the TH90) they don't preform well unplugged, and for me the axe must work both ways or I'm not interested. I'm going to test drive the Cordoba Solista CE this week, and I'm looking for the opportunity to test drive the Cervantes Crossover II (probably at Gryphon Stringed Instruments) if they can get one in (they don't currently have one as of 7/23/2011). I also don't understand how any of you can buy an instrument without trying it.....I certainly can't.....because no two instruments are alike....even two of the same model and production run
Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyble View Post
It is very interesting to read all of your opinions on the different available crossover style instruments. I am also trying to figure out which one is the best for me. I've been playing for 45 years and started out as a classical player for the first 20 years, and so I'm used to the 2 inch nut, and don't like the narrower size. I feel that the Japanese guitars are overbuilt, that is they are too heavy and dead sounding acoustically (i.e. the Yamaha NCX 900 and 2000 and the Takamine TH5C and the TH90) they don't preform well unplugged, and for me the axe must work both ways or I'm not interested. I'm going to test drive the Cordoba Solista CE this week, and I'm looking for the opportunity to test drive the Cervantes Crossover II (probably at Gryphon Stringed Instruments) if they can get one in (they don't currently have one as of 7/23/2011). I also don't understand how any of you can buy an instrument without trying it.....I certainly can't.....because no two instruments are alike....even two of the same model and production run
I'm not sure I agree with the Japanese guitars sounding dead when unplugged. I do see a tendency to over-build in both the classical and acoustic guitars however. That does not mean the final product necessarily sounds dead however.

Actually I have a Takamine TH5C that has excellent and lively trebles in addition to the regular deep rosewood bass. When I went with my instructor to select a primary classical guitar I ended up with a Yamaha GC31C, also quiet lively and rich. This was over other serious student model Spanish guitars in the 2000-3000 price range.

I found the Yamaha's I tried (Japanese made GC series) VERY consistent. I have only ever tried the Takamine TH5C and while it is not as powerful as the Yamaha or *some* of the other Spanish student models, it's far from the dead. Perhaps the Japanese Takamine's are not as consistent and I got lucky.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical