The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Need feedback on my John Mayer Cover.

I recently decided to try recording Slow Dancing in a Burning room, a beautiful song by John Mayer...
I basically need some feedback on my cover, how is it? how can I improve?
this is my first cover that I have ever recorded and I haven't been playing guitar for long mind.
my recording can be downloaded here..
http://www.mediafire.com/?df3znm5ozmn
Old 07-08-2010, 04:58 AM

Welcome to the AGF, Luke!

This is not bad for your first recording and just learning to play guitar. Here are a few things that I noticed;

1. You have a decent voice and stayed on pitch. That’s a good start. Don’t try to sound like John Mayer, rather give this song your own feeling, expression and sound.
2. Try to keep a steady beat and strumming rhythm on the guitar. Practice the guitar part until you can strum and play the song without thinking. Then sing along with it.
3. The guitar sounds out of tune. Especially in a recording, an out of tune guitar will stand out like a sore thumb, so take the time to make sure it is in perfect tune.
4. The guitar is way too soft in the mix. Try for a good balance of voice and guitar. If you are using one mic or a recorder with an internal mic, move it closer to your guitar. Keep experimenting with placement until you find a good volume balance of guitar and voice.

I hope this helps. Keep experimenting and have fun with both your guitar and recording. You are on the right track and have talent to be developed, so play on!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-08-2010, 07:06 AM

I agree with everything Bob said.

You've got the talent. It's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Welcome to the AGF, Luke!

This is not bad for your first recording and just learning to play guitar. Here are a few things that I noticed;

1. You have a decent voice and stayed on pitch. That’s a good start. Don’t try to sound like John Mayer, rather give this song your own feeling, expression and sound.
2. Try to keep a steady beat and strumming rhythm on the guitar. Practice the guitar part until you can strum and play the song without thinking. Then sing along with it.
3. The guitar sounds out of tune. Especially in a recording, an out of tune guitar will stand out like a sore thumb, so take the time to make sure it is in perfect tune.
4. The guitar is way too soft in the mix. Try for a good balance of voice and guitar. If you are using one mic or a recorder with an internal mic, move it closer to your guitar. Keep experimenting with placement until you find a good volume balance of guitar and voice.

I hope this helps. Keep experimenting and have fun with both your guitar and recording. You are on the right track and have talent to be developed, so play on!
Thank you for your help
Im using a samson Go mic, which I will fiddle around with to get a decent position.
I think I need a better guitar, the one I currently have is just a beginners cheap one, So that might explain why it always sounds bad and out of tune, Maybe I should invest in a new guitar before recording more.
Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Bob's suggestions are right on the money. I've nothing to add but my encouragement. Keep at it.

Oh, and I liked the little vocal percussion riff at the end of the recording too. Lots of attitude in that little sound-bite. Do you write any of your own music?

Taylor 555 '82
Martin DM '97
Yamaha EZ-AG
Washburn Rover /w Fishman Matrix Infinity UST
Shen SB-100 (double bass) 2010
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dave View Post
Bob's suggestions are right on the money. I've nothing to add but my encouragement. Keep at it.

Oh, and I liked the little vocal percussion riff at the end of the recording too. Lots of attitude in that little sound-bite. Do you write any of your own music?
thanks a lot
nope, I might give it a go though when I get better at playing
Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke104 View Post
thanks a lot
nope, I might give it a go though when I get better at playing
Never too soon to start. Go with what you know. Learning covers is a good way to expand your skill set too. Bottom line - have fun!

Taylor 555 '82
Martin DM '97
Yamaha EZ-AG
Washburn Rover /w Fishman Matrix Infinity UST
Shen SB-100 (double bass) 2010

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell