The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 08:21 AM

I guess there will be prolonged episodes of ebb and flow here. It does look like this upsurge is globally going to be worse in terms of infections judging by the global numbers from coronavirus tracking...Sigh...

I just looked and I don't see that they are able to determine the length of time an asymptomatic carrier can infect, which concerns me, and I like the idea of group/batch testing as speeding up the process for detection.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Last edited by slide496; 06-28-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I scratch my head when I see those in public wearing masks around their chins exposing their noses and mouths. That might be the very definition of going through the motions of being cautious...
They're doing that because they know they're not going to even be allowed into where they want to be without having one on and have pulled it down at their earliest opportunity. That attitude in and of it itself IMO is more destructive than not wearing a mask at all. Gen Z and Millennials call them "Karens" because of the entitlement mentality and loud protests.

My personal pet peeve is when people play with their masks and let the tip of their noses peep out. It's almost indecent!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Link doesn’t work.
Try this
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/27/healt...pta/index.html
Old 06-28-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Thanks Paul. I fixed my post, a right bracket was off by one character.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
They're doing that because they know they're not going to even be allowed into where they want to be without having one on and have pulled it down at their earliest opportunity. That attitude in and of it itself IMO is more destructive than not wearing a mask at all....
My observations have been in stores where masks are not required but many people wear them. My cynical self thought these were people who want the appearance of being concerned citizens without the inconvenience...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-28-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:32 AM

As for the protests, most that participated were younger folks, and we all know younger people often don't show symptoms or have very mild symptoms. There is no question in my mind the protests helped the disease to spread even though the media didn't say so.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Thanks...that one works.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-28-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Displays the same staggering and yes frightening lack of critical thinking ability, as shown in this photo .....
And proof positive that even a lick of common sense, is no longer required to survive in our society. But maybe mother nature will sort out for us, that which we seem unable to do for ourselves .. OK I done

Well, it's not too surprising if you consider that that the bill of his hat is facing backwards while he uses his hand to shield the sun. If he doesn't understand basic cap design ...

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 06-28-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
If he doesn't understand basic cap design ...
You got a point there.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I was surprised to see this article that investigated and concluded that outdoor protests weren’t the source of any significant coronavirus growth. The article focused on the state of Utah, but wasn't limited to that state. Remarkably, "Given that there have been 4,613 positive cases in Salt Lake County in June, according to the health department, and thousands of people who attended protests over the course of multiple weeks, [there were] only five cases tied to the protests..."
I was surprised at first, too, but then I realized it actually makes sense. It's been suggested all along that being near an infected person indoors, with shared, recirculating air, is much more dangerous than being near them outdoors, where whatever someone is exhaling is quickly dispersed.

My state has had a lot of protests and now has cases spiking upwards, and some people are trying to link the two. The largest increases in cases, though, are in more rural counties, not in the more urban areas where most of the protests have taken place. Bars and restaurants and other indoor gathering spaces seem to me to be far more likely contributors than the protests.

Last edited by cmd612; 06-28-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:41 AM

I live in a town of 2,000 that is very rural. I went to the Post Office yesterday and masks were required and I was glad to see that. We only have one clerk and I was surprised to see that the clerk was not wearing a mask. I found that wrong. We are wearing a mask to protect you but you are not protecting us.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
My observations have been in stores where masks are not required but many people wear them. My cynical self thought these were people who want the appearance of being concerned citizens without the inconvenience...
Masks are required inside places of business here in Pennsylvania. Restaurants are the exception because obviously you need to be able to eat. If you leave the table though you have to wear a mask. Whether it is enforceable is still a judgement call and I don't see many police officers wearing them.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
Well, it's not too surprising if you consider that that the bill of his hat is facing backwards while he uses his hand to shield the sun. If he doesn't understand basic cap design ...
Yeah, that's the entire point of that photo.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Masks are required inside places of business here in Pennsylvania. Restaurants are the exception because obviously you need to be able to eat. If you leave the table though you have to wear a mask. Whether it is enforceable is still a judgement call and I don't see many police officers wearing them.
Sounds like just the opposite from my neck of the woods. Masks are not required but some places have signs that heavily recommend them. I see a lot of people wearing them in stores, albeit some on their chins; and police officers I've seen outside their vehicles are wearing them...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-28-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

People I encounter, universally, wear masks and yield space. There are signs at every business requiring masks to enter, just like shoes & shirts. Police, highway workers, clerks — everyone — wears masks. I don’t hear complaining either. Perhaps this attitude stems from the fact that Massachusetts was hit hard and people have respect for what can happen.

I’m not trying to stir the pot, but one thing I don’t understand is why there is any question about the legality of instituting a mandate. People can’t have a swimming pool (on there own property!) without surrounding it with a mask — a 4-foot tall fence. Virtually everyone is on board with that mandate.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic