The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
All the guesses and predictions will be wrong. But that doesn’t mean that they have no value.
Agreed, it all has been (and still is) an interesting and worthwhile discussion. My point was simply that we now have a written record of predictions/guesses and it will be interesting to look back with 20/20 hindsight to see how close (or far) some were. It is just an additional interesting aspect to the discussion, that is all.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-13-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
It would be interesting to look back on all these COVID-19 threads a year or two from now and see how closely anyone came to predicting the future. There are more than enough guesses in all these threads to keep it interesting.

Tony
Don't mean to toot my horn ( ), but I think I had the first thread on the impending quarantine a couple weeks before it happened here in the US and some were doubting that could be implemented here.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=574610

I also had a thread that which was eventually locked made at the beginning of this mess trying to explain exponential growth before everyone else tried to explain this to the masses. And, I made a model with a thread to emphasize how important total lockdowns are here before we had a single state lockdown. I even predicted the number of deaths in the next few months here in the US to be between 40k and 120k with my model (all that was a bit lucky):

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=574935

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=575107
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by robj144; 04-13-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Agreed, it all has been (and still is) an interesting and worthwhile discussion. My point was simply that we now have a written record of predictions/guesses and it will be interesting to look back with 20/20 hindsight to see how close (or far) some were. It is just an additional interesting aspect to the discussion, that is all.

Tony
Absolutely. Thanks for adding that to the thread.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:07 PM

Fortunately, I didn't disagree with you, Rob. I hope we get to watch our Patriots this Fall ... I won't watch virtual sports.

Are you also a die hard Red Sox fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Don't mean to toot my horn ( ), but I think I had the first thread on the impending quarantine a couple weeks before it happened here in the US and some were doubting that could be implemented here.

I also had a thread that which was eventually locked made at the beginning of this mess trying to explain exponential growth before everyone else tried to explain this to the masses. And, I made a model with a thread to emphasize how important total lockdowns are here before we had a single state lockdown. I even predicted the number of deaths in the next few months here in the US to be between 40k and 120k with my model (all that was a bit lucky):

Old 04-13-2020, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I also had a thread that which was eventually locked made at the beginning of this mess trying to explain exponential growth before everyone else tried to explain this to the masses. And, I made a model with a thread to emphasize how important total lockdowns are here before we had a single state lockdown. I even predicted the number of deaths in the next few months here in the US to be between 40k and 120k with my model (all that was a bit lucky)...
Do you ever lend out your ouija board????
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-13-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fortunately, I didn't disagree with you, Rob. I hope we get to watch our Patriots this Fall ... I won't watch virtual sports.

Are you also a die hard Red Sox fan?
Thanks Dru. Yes, I'm a die hard Sox fan and any sports team from New England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Do you ever lend out your ouija board????
Haha. Sure if you want it.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Well, I was quite the opposite. Three weeks before everybody else started stocking up on groceries, my wife said this thing was going to be big and that I should go right then to the store and stock up. So I did. Everything was plentiful. I couldn't see what the big deal was until well into the cycle.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-14-2020, 03:53 PM

The opening games of Taiwan baseball were televised yesterday from stadiums with no live fans in the seats.

The news clips showed empty stadiums, and a close-up shot of one fan area filled with a few dozen manikins and cardboard cutouts - a few of them wearing surgical masks. A handful of robots were parked in the wheelchair row above.

Baseball can avoid a lot of interaction (personal contact, ball handling, contaminated surfaces) between teams. Excepting the closeness at home plate and runners at bases.

The China Basketball Assn recalled it's teams (including international players) in March. They've passed the govt mandated isolation period, and have been living and practising in isolation.

The target was to restart the season at arenas (with no fans) in one or two cities in early or mid April. This was refused by govt authorities and they are discussing possibility of a mid May restart.

Basketball may be a poor choice for early resumption because of constant touching of the ball by all players on both teams and by referees, constant close contact, and lots of micro droplets normally spewed out by participants exerting max athletic effort.

Some NBA players recently played a H.O.R.S.E. mini tournament from isolated locations. Doubtful if this is worth televising to fans.

NFL draft is proceeding later in April. All participants will interact from home because all NFL HQ and team facilities are closed and teams are not permitted to gather.

Perhaps golf tournaments with no fans might be feasible for early restart? Will need to resolve fairness issues between players based in strict vs lax jurisdictions, govt travel restrictions, will caddies need to be isolated into player homes, etc etc.

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 04-14-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:16 AM

Until they let me walk a golf course and launch a boat, I don't care about sports on TV.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
Until they let me walk a golf course and launch a boat, I don't care about sports on TV.
That's the spirit! Why watch other people have all the fun when we, ourselves can be participants? Hopefully this can happen sooner than later.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-16-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
Though we have "stay at home" orders, reservoirs and golf courses appear to be open.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Well, I was quite the opposite. Three weeks before everybody else started stocking up on groceries, my wife said this thing was going to be big and that I should go right then to the store and stock up. So I did. Everything was plentiful. I couldn't see what the big deal was until well into the cycle.

Tony
My wife ordered a case of TP and tissues and proceeded to pat herself on the back for it. I still do all the dishes and laundry. That just proves that our wives are smart AND selfish.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:05 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
That's the spirit! Why watch other people have all the fun when we, ourselves can be participants? Hopefully this can happen sooner than later.

Tony
In normal times, both are possible. I like many sports, a few where I have the interest, ability and time to play which has evolved over the years due to age. But most sports, I can’t play, but I can surely watch for the thrill of competition. Playing, watching...it’s all good.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:44 PM

Heard on the news today that LA is contemplating no Sports or Concerts until 2021. If LA does it then perhaps other major CA cities do to.

Mike Trout (MLB) said that he isn't a fan of baseball starting up again and being quarantined in hotels between games. He's expecting his child to be born and obviously wants to be there. I'm sure there are lots of other expecting MLB fathers.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
In normal times, both are possible. I like many sports, a few where I have the interest, ability and time to play which has evolved over the years due to age. But most sports, I can’t play, but I can surely watch for the thrill of competition. Playing, watching...it’s all good.
Well, I hope everybody here gets what they want/need as soon as those in the know decide it is safe to do so.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic