The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
hope it works out great for you, I've got a feeling it will. the thing is, they have an unheard of return window, and everything I've read is that returns are well handled.

keep us updated(is this rosewood as well-and Gibson?)
Buying used from GC can be a hard to beat experience. Something like $20 shipping from any store in the US + you can test drive it for 45 days, can somtimes get screaming good deals.

I once picked up an Anderson tele that listed at $4950 (so original selling price was ~$4k) that appeared to be mint for $2450 shipped, tax and all.

After having it about a week I noticed that bending above a step on the 18th fret b string would cause a fret-out, so a slight flat spot. Called TA to see how much it would cost to fix... fairly minimal cost to replace that one fret, but shipping there and back on top would have had me out nearly $300. Even with that the guitar would still be a really good deal, but at that point I decided a hollow tele was more of a niche sound so I returned it to a local GC. Took me about 10 minutes, full refund including shipping. A few days later I checked out the used inventory and saw it had made its way up to the Hollywood store and was now listed for $2250 .

Also picked up my favorite guitar much the same way, a 2012 '59 AV strat for $1150 as it didn't have a case. Crazy good price for one of these... they used to retail for $2300, typically found used for $1500-1600.

Last edited by brandall10; 07-08-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:03 AM

I ordered a new Martin HD-35 from GC 6 yrs ago. Was a bit worried buying it sight-unseen but when it arrived a few days later I worried no more. It played and sounded great without a set-up. The wonderful smell has lingered for years. I kept the (perfect condition) Martin box it was shipped in. It doesn't seem GC had opened it from the Martin factory. Copper staples were still undisturbed intact on the box from the factory. Happy camper.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Well my experience with GC was near perfect, and could have been better than perfect, if that is possible. This will take some explaining. I'll try to keep it entertaining, if not short..

The Gibson AJ arrived and is in wonderful used condition. A mark here and there, to be expected from a 12 year old guitar. Overall, it is a very pampered, well taken care of instrument with a perfect set up, beautiful sunburst finish, everything I had hoped and more. Literally. It even has the new smell if you can believe it. The entire living room smells like a new Gibson guitar. Best of all, it plays and sounds like the guitar was made specifically for me. I am bonding with it like no other guitar before it...so far.

The only thing that is a serious problem is it came wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed in a cardboard box...! The manager I spoke with specifically told me the guitar came with the original hard shell case. I will call him on it tomorrow. I found it almost too much to.believe when the UPS driver walked up and handed me the box...It felt like a feather and I immediately knew there was no case. For those who may not know, a Gibson AJ costs several thousand dollars, so the fact that this guitar made it from California to Georgia in bubble wrap and a cardboard box, in a scorching trailer for 3,000 miles is mind boggling. So in the end, I got a great deal on a great guitar with no case that I was told would come with it, and my guitar showed up in bubble wrap...I am not disappointed in the manager's description of the guitar. It is truly a work of art and I got a good deal even without the case, but I am, however, highly peeved at the way it was shipped and without the friggin case that he clearly stated was included. End of rant.

Just in case the call tomorrow results in another let down, does anyone know of a good place to find a quality hard case for a decent price?
Old 07-09-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
Well my experience with GC was near perfect, and could have been better than perfect, if that is possible. This will take some explaining. I'll try to keep it entertaining, if not short..

The Gibson AJ arrived and is in wonderful used condition. A mark here and there, to be expected from a 12 year old guitar. Overall, it is a very pampered, well taken care of instrument with a perfect set up, beautiful sunburst finish, everything I had hoped and more. Literally. It even has the new smell if you can believe it. The entire living room smells like a new Gibson guitar. Best of all, it plays and sounds like the guitar was made specifically for me. I am bonding with it like no other guitar before it...so far.

The only thing that is a serious problem is it came wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed in a cardboard box...! The manager I spoke with specifically told me the guitar came with the original hard shell case. I will call him on it tomorrow. I found it almost too much to.believe when the UPS driver walked up and handed me the box...It felt like a feather and I immediately knew there was no case. For those who may not know, a Gibson AJ costs several thousand dollars, so the fact that this guitar made it from California to Georgia in bubble wrap and a cardboard box, in a scorching trailer for 3,000 miles is mind boggling. So in the end, I got a great deal on a great guitar with no case that I was told would come with it, and my guitar showed up in bubble wrap...I am not disappointed in the manager's description of the guitar. It is truly a work of art and I got a good deal even without the case, but I am, however, highly peeved at the way it was shipped and without the friggin case that he clearly stated was included. End of rant.

Just in case the call tomorrow results in another let down, does anyone know of a good place to find a quality hard case for a decent price?
I think he'll make it right for you. Give him a chance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion