The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-07-2020, 01:49 PM

NHL starts Aug 1. 12 teams will play in Edmonton and the other 12 in Toronto. Conference finals and Stanley Cup finals will be played in Edmonton.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:48 PM

NHL has announced that the 2020-2021 season will begin Dec 1, about two months later than usual in order to accommodate this years playoffs. They're still planning a full 82 game season so guessing that next year's Stanley Cup playoffs will also be in the summer ... assuming no covid hiatus.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:14 PM

The BIG TEN has come out and said that it’s restricting its football to in conference games only. One shoe has dropped on the season.

Several smaller schools have already folded several sports. I hear that Ivy League schools are writing off the fall semester sports as well.

It’s all about the money at that level too. More of the haves vs the have nots.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
The BIG TEN has come out and said that it’s restricting its football to in conference games only. One shoe has dropped on the season.

Several smaller schools have already folded several sports. I hear that Ivy League schools are writing off the fall semester sports as well.

The in conference games makes sense. The Big Ten said that they can ensure that testing is done across all teams as per the conference's procedures. Also limits travel.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post

Oh snap! Wisconsin was set to play Notre Dame at Lambeau Field this year.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Oh snap! Wisconsin was set to play Notre Dame at Lambeau Field this year.
And we were so looking forward to kicking the Buckeye's butts this year!
Old 07-10-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
NHL has announced that the 2020-2021 season will begin Dec 1, about two months later than usual in order to accommodate this years playoffs. They're still planning a full 82 game season so guessing that next year's Stanley Cup playoffs will also be in the summer ... assuming no covid hiatus.
This is just a general comment and question, rather than specific to the quoted post and assuming that magic COVID-19 vaccine isn't yet realized by then...

I have a mental image of seats populated by cardboard cutouts in the shape of the fans and a recording of the cheering being played at just the right moments.

Seriously, when these various sports events open up, are they going to be required to maintain 50% or less capacity for social distancing, which is what various places that people gather around where I live are doing? How would that affect players' salaries and the overall financial health of the sports organizations? I suppose broadcast revenues could make much of that up.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
This is just a general comment and question, rather than specific to the quoted post and assuming that magic COVID-19 vaccine isn't yet realized by then...

I have a mental image of seats populated by cardboard cutouts in the shape of the fans and a recording of the cheering being played at just the right moments.

Seriously, when these various sports events open up, are they going to be required to maintain 50% or less capacity for social distancing, which is what various places that people gather around where I live are doing? How would that affect players' salaries and the overall financial health of the sports organizations? I suppose broadcast revenues could make much of that up.

Tony
The NHL will be played in empty arena for this summer/fall playoffs. Guessing that is the same for the 2020-21 season which starts Dec 1. As far as salary goes, it'll be prorated based on games played in a season. That's what MLB did, although they tried to get the players to accept 50% of pro-rated but that was rejected.

Yep, broadcast revenues drive everything.

The CFL (Canadian Football League) is asking the Canadian government for a loan because they don't think they can exist with the gate revenue.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The NHL will be played in empty arena for this summer/fall playoffs. Guessing that is the same for the 2020-21 season which starts Dec 1. As far as salary goes, it'll be prorated based on games played in a season. That's what MLB did, although they tried to get the players to accept 50% of pro-rated but that was rejected.

Yep, broadcast revenues drive everything.

The CFL (Canadian Football League) is asking the Canadian government for a loan because they don't think they can exist with the gate revenue.
When I played in a road trio back in the 1970s, we played a week at each job. Tuesday night was usually the most dead because Monday nights a few more folks would come to check out the new band, Wednesdays were so-so much of the time, Thursdays started to pick up, and Friday and Saturday were the busiest nights.

I never liked playing to an empty room on those Tuesday nights because it is a bit like talking to yourself, and I would imagine without fans to inspire the teams, that would likewise be a rather "tough road to hoe". At least in my job at the time, I knew the later part of the week would pick up, but for these teams, as long as there is COVID-19 putting a damper on things, who knows how long they will be playing to "empty rooms"? I would not want to be in their shoes these days.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-11-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
When I played in a road trio back in the 1970s, we played a week at each job. Tuesday night was usually the most dead because Monday nights a few more folks would come to check out the new band, Wednesdays were so-so much of the time, Thursdays started to pick up, and Friday and Saturday were the busiest nights.

I never liked playing to an empty room on those Tuesday nights because it is a bit like talking to yourself, and I would imagine without fans to inspire the teams, that would likewise be a rather "tough road to hoe". At least in my job at the time, I knew the later part of the week would pick up, but for these teams, as long as there is COVID-19 putting a damper on things, who knows how long they will be playing to "empty rooms"? I would not want to be in their shoes these days.

Tony
As a sports fan, watching a game on the tv with no crowd noise is going to be a hindrance. I image the sound of skates on the ice, sneaker squeaks, and farts will be more prevalent through tv and radio speakers.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As a sports fan, watching a game on the tv with no crowd noise is going to be a hindrance. I image the sound of skates on the ice, sneaker squeaks, and farts will be more prevalent through tv and radio speakers.
That reminds me of the first time I saw HD TV on a large TV. I was with a friend who is quite the baseball fan while he was shopping for just such a TV. We were in the store and a baseball game was on. Baseball players seem to hock a lot of loogies during the course of the game, and the cameras seem to focus on the players, so that is what we saw - up close and bigger than life.

To me, it was disgusting, but to him, it was as good as being there. I have been to a couple of Twins games when my wife was the official photographer at the company she worked for as a programmer at the time. When at a ball game, you see the whole thing, rather than just a close up of a player unless you are using binoculars. In that situation, you don't really notice all the loogies, but that TV really seemed to bring that to the forefront.

I suppose if the stands are quiet in upcoming sports events, you will notice things that you might not otherwise notice. Maybe that won't be so bad, depending on what you notice.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-11-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
That reminds me of the first time I saw HD TV on a large TV. I was with a friend who is quite the baseball fan while he was shopping for just such a TV. We were in the store and a baseball game was on. Baseball players seem to hock a lot of loogies during the course of the game, and the cameras seem to focus on the players, so that is what we saw - up close and bigger than life.

To me, it was disgusting, but to him, it was as good as being there. I have been to a couple of Twins games when my wife was the official photographer at the company she worked for as a programmer at the time. When at a ball game, you see the whole thing, rather than just a close up of a player unless you are using binoculars. In that situation, you don't really notice all the loogies, but that TV really seemed to bring that to the forefront.

I suppose if the stands are quiet in upcoming sports events, you will notice things that you might not otherwise notice. Maybe that won't be so bad, depending on what you notice.

Tony
New MLB rules for covid games are no spitting. We'll see how long that lasts or what the repercussions are for players spitting.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
New MLB rules for covid games are no spitting. We'll see how long that lasts or what the repercussions are for players spitting.
That certainly makes sense. I don't see spitting in other sports, so I always found it curious that baseball seemed to feature it. I suppose there is a tradition of chewing tobacco among ball players, so why not have spittoons placed at strategic points on the field?

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-14-2020, 01:00 PM

Toronto Blue Jays players are now in Toronto but there's discussion that they may not be able to play their home games there because Canada is concerned with the increasing covid rate in the US. The Canada-US border closure for non-essential workers has been closed for months and that closure has just been extended for another month.

The Blue Jays are reevaluating the Buffalo site (Sahlen Field) where their AAA team plays.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

A few days ago the Baltimore Ravens announced max attendance at home games at M&T Bank Stadium, capacity 71,000, would be limited to 14,000. Supposedly the Browns have a similar plan.

I don't know what the LA Rams are going to do, but I think the Chargers would be overjoyed to have even 5,000 Bolts fans at an LA home game.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic