The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-07-2020, 11:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Joe Walsh was... Joe Walsh. One of my main guitar heroes for nearly half a century, I've caught him live several times since the 70s. Understandably, he's always compelled to play the same 5-6 big hits, which have become cartoons of themselves. But hey, hasn't Joe become a cartoon of himself onstage, too? (I'd prefer to see/hear him play several superior B sides. But that's not what he gets paid to do, with or without the Eagles.) So I get it, and I'm done whining now.
The last time I saw him, on the "2016 Toor," he pulled out a couple of great old B sides in "Mother Says/The Bomber/Closet Queen/Cast Your Fate to the Wind." I sat right in line with his Leslie and as a result, I got one for myself. More HERE and HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-07-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Excellent playing and singling, of course. And great production - not easily done with so many rotating players, instruments and voices to balance coherently. DVR is great for taking breaks and zooming past commercials. Plowed through the 3-hour show in two nights.

Deacon Frey was pleasantly competent, even surrounded by giants.

Vince Gill is unbelievably good at everything he does, and I can't think of a better choice to fill any pair of shoes in the Eagles.

Joe Walsh was... Joe Walsh. One of my main guitar heroes for nearly half a century, I've caught him live several times since the 70s. Understandably, he's always compelled to play the same 5-6 big hits, which have become cartoons of themselves. But hey, hasn't Joe become a cartoon of himself onstage, too? (I'd prefer to see/hear him play several superior B sides. But that's not what he gets paid to do, with or without the Eagles.) So I get it, and I'm done whining now.

It was a good show. Thanks to the OP for the heads up. Glad I caught it.
Don't know if he said this on the ESPN show but on the tour over here last year whilst introducing 'Life's been good' Joe said "If I'd known I was going to have to play this song every night, I'd have written a better song".

Must be a pain for them to have to repeat the same old songs but this is what enables him to buy a mansion and forget the price.

YouTube
Old 07-07-2020, 04:08 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Don't know if he said this on the ESPN show but on the tour over here last year whilst introducing 'Life's been good' Joe said "If I'd known I was going to have to play this song every night, I'd have written a better song".

Must be a pain for them to have to repeat the same old songs but this is what enables him to buy a mansion and forget the price.
Two notes about this:1) This is the thing I feared the most when I was chasing the lifestyle - playing the same thing every night.
2) The line about the mansion was autobiographical to Joe. Around 1970 he bought a house and immediately left for a year of touring with the James Gang to open for The Who and literally didn't get home until nearly a year later.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-07-2020, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

He [Joe Walsh] didn't repeat that witty comment in the Eagles concert on ESPN, but I heard him say it about one of his predictable mega-hits during an all-star shindig on TV about 10 years ago. Much better/interesting substance in any number of his B-sides on a dozen albums (at least from the perspective of this rock guitarist), but he's gotta play what the fans wanna to hear. Wiki says net worth of Steuart Smith, the Eagles' other touring ace guitar-slinger, is $10 million. Joe Walsh, $75 million. I guess life HAS been good.

Last edited by tinnitus; 07-09-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

A pic of the Eagles in action for those who missed the show.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Don't know if he said this on the ESPN show but on the tour over here last year whilst introducing 'Life's been good' Joe said "If I'd known I was going to have to play this song every night, I'd have written a better song"..
I heard Gordon Lightfoot say virtually the same thing in concert once. "Be careful when you write a song. If it is a hit, you may end up playing it for the next 40 years, so you'd better be happy with it."
Old 07-09-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Watched a bit of it, interesting to see the alternate lineup. Too bad they can't reconcile with Felder, it detracts from the group. I thought they did a great job with the harmonies, and on that level was impressed with how well the voices held up.

Cool to see Glenn Frey's kid. He sounded great but honestly wasn't much on stage presence. But I'm sure a great experience for him and the band. Henley's voice is still distinctive, but weakened, which is too bad. Timothy B. Schmidt still sounds great, but not quite what he used to be. Walsh still sounds like Walsh and can still play that guitar. All normal, all fine, but frankly I'd rather just listen to them when they were at the top of their game. It's cool for them that they can still get out and play together, but for me I'm more interested in newer music and not terribly interested in seeing a bunch of old dudes creak around the stage. There's some nice nostalgia there, but I go to shows for the energy, and they're just not those guys anymore. I think if it was a more original lineup there would be enough nostalgia for me to enjoy it, but with all the changes, guys I've never heard of, etc. it just didn't do it for me. Vince Gill? Great player, cool that they're friends and all, but...I'm not interested.

I'm glad folks liked it, and I did enjoy it for a bit, but ultimately for me...meh. There's a ton of great new acts out there with a ton of energy that I'd rather see. Not big on living in the past, I guess.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Repeats this Monday on ESPN at 8 ET/ 5 PT.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:22 AM

Quote:
A pic of the Eagles in action for those who missed the show.

I like these. Simple but very effective - you've definitely nailed it.

YouTube
Old 07-13-2020, 09:26 PM

Default finally saw it...

But the "Fire in the Belly" is gone. Technically they are spot on and as a group the blend well, even though they are tuning down and straining to hit those fabled harmonic notes. IMO, the time may have come to dial it back. Vince is good as Vince...not as an Eagle. And Deacon... no drive! Still proficient...but that's it.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
But the "Fire in the Belly" is gone. Technically they are spot on and as a group the blend well, even though they are tuning down and straining to hit those fabled harmonic notes. IMO, the time may have come to dial it back. Vince is good as Vince...not as an Eagle. And Deacon... no drive! Still proficient...but that's it.
Yeah, that's my take, as well. I thought they came across like an Eagles tribute band. In addition, the whole production was confusing...too much stuff going on. It was like there were 30 people on stage. The whole thing made me feel old, and I don't need any more help with that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic