The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-04-2020, 05:40 PM

Default Nice vid of setup of an Emerald X7

hopefully not repeating something already posted here but i came across this youtube vid of a knowledgeable guy talking about the Emerald and the setup as he goes through....personally i learned a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scPpwF-oZ0E
Old 06-04-2020, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

That was excellent.

Thanks for posting!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-04-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
hopefully not repeating something already posted here but i came across this youtube vid of a knowledgeable guy talking about the Emerald and the setup as he goes through....personally i learned a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scPpwF-oZ0E
Thanks for posting! BTW, contrary to what the tech says in the video, the top is cocobolo, not ziricote(not that that changes anything!).
Old 06-05-2020, 06:33 AM

Thanks for posting...with an X7 on order I found it interesting and instructive!
Old 06-14-2020, 06:09 PM

Default Emerald X7 Setup

That happens to be my guitar. I purchased it used and it arrived with heavier strings than I can handle (I have compromised fretting hand strength), and with action that was a bit high for my fretting ability. I measured the installed strings and they were 13's. I suspect that the guitar was originally strung with 13's by the manufacturer. I had the luthier string the guitar with Ernie Ball 10/50's, and lower the action accordingly. I'll likely move up one size the next time that I re-string the instrument. Its 24 inch scale length will likely make 11's tolerable even with my strength limitations.

Heavier strings will also likely make the guitar a bit louder, as heavier G, B and High E strings should excite the guitar surface a bit more and resultantly deliver more sonic response.

I have the same strings (Ernie Ball 10/50) currently mounted on my Talyor 512ce, and find that I can feel the vibrations of the top 3 strings a bit more prominently on its cedar top than I can feel on the X7.

I'm quite happy with the guitar, and tend to reach for it much more frequently than my other guitars. I also find it more playable than my Taylor GS Mini, and the Mini is quite a playable instrument in its own right. I guess that says something. Similar scale length (23 1/2 inch scale on the Mini). The Mini's neck width is a tad narrower (1 11/16 vs. 1 3/4 on the X7), but the difference is miniscule. The neck profile seems to me to be a bit shallower on the X7 vs the Taylor neck profile. Anecdotal observance only - I haven't actually measured the neck but I'll do that just to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm happy with the purchase and look forward to keeping the guitar out of its case year-round. I re-case and humidify my wooden guitars through the winter months.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber