The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 06:02 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Off topic, but anyone know what the "CEO" in, for instance, the CEO-7, stands for? Are they the brainchildren of the Chief Executive Officer?
My understanding is that Chris picked the specs…thus the “CEO” series. But I could be wrong. It happens.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
Wait, what? A guitar should be able to function as intended for more than 18 months without needing major repair. If it can't, then it was manufactured incorrectly.
A martin that makes it a year or two is not going to need a reset for a while. But almost all martins will eventually need one or two neck resets in its lifetime, as the body slightly collapses under string tension over time. It’s part of owning a guitar that’s not built like a tank. Most people understand that, so it’s not a manufacturing defect. The warranty covers manufacturing defects. If the wood in your martin shifts sooner under string tension, you might need the reset sooner. And some can go 25 years before they need one. If they screw up out of the gate, martin covers that. But, just like your car will eventually need a radiator and your house will eventually need a new roof, an eventual neck reset is an accepted part of owning a martin.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

I think that you could probably sum it up in two phrases "buyer beware" and "seller beware". In Europe we definitely lean more towards "seller beware", and that cultural shift is possibly a hard model for some companies to adapt towards.
I wonder how the differing approaches affect "supply" of the goods to be sold?
Old 05-20-2022, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
My understanding is that Chris picked the specs…thus the “CEO” series. But I could be wrong. It happens.
I believe he was responsible for choosing the basic model, but how into the weeds he got with the detailed specs I wouldn’t hazard a guess. But for sure the CEO line was his baby and the vision behind those guitars was his. No idea if they’ll keep it going now that he’s stepped down. The CEO-7 is the only one I’m aware of that sort of transcended the “limited release” intent of the CEO line. It’s been and remains a real hit something like nine years after the first ones showed up. It’s effectively, if not in name, become part of their standard line. I don’t think any others have come close to that sales performance. It was an accidental hit…

I keep meaning to start calling mine “Boss”, but I’ve never done it…

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion