The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2023, 12:50 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Old 02-02-2023, 12:59 PM

Any song I play seems to get that response....
Old 02-02-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Any song I play seems to get that response....
Ha!!

This here one's a weeper;

Here's the link if the imbedded video encounters an error; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaoD06ZWBgg

Old 02-02-2023, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

This Hal Ketchum song always brought a tear to my eyes. Yesterdays Gone

https://youtu.be/IWzneOajLjQ

Old 02-02-2023, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

-----------------------------
Old 02-03-2023, 11:45 PM

Adrienne Lenker - "Come" ... about a mother asking her daughter to help her die

Arcade Fire - "Afterlife" ... about what happens, or doesn't, after someone dies

Beck - "Lost Cause" ... classic breakup song

Blind Melon - "Wooh D.O.G." ... a small, raw song about losing your dog, from a child's point of view

Built to Spill - "Twin Falls" ... about unrequited love and never seeing someone again

Elliott Smith - "Everything Reminds Me of Her" ... self explanatory. lots of other good ones by him.

Kansas - "Dust in the Wind" ... almost mandatory on a list like this

Led Zeppelin - "Going to California" ... classic about starting over, longing for love

Niel Young - "My My Hey Hey" ... a classic about losing someone suddenly

Purple Mountains - "All My Happiness Is Gone" ... written by David Berman, shortly before he hung himself. See also "Margaritas at the Mall"

Sufjan Stevens - "Casimir Pulaski Day" ... maybe the saddest song I know, about a young girl dying of bone cancer. See also "Fourth of July", about his mom dying in the hospital.

Also yeah most of the popular John Prine songs.

These are all acoustic except Afterlife, which can be played on an acoustic pretty easily.

Last edited by SRL; 02-03-2023 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:32 AM

Just watched “George and Tammy”. Can’t leave out “He Stopped Loving Her Today”. So sad that Jones almost couldn’t sing it in the studio.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:10 AM

Ghost of My Best Friend by Arlo Mckinley

William and Wanda by Cody Jinks

Folded Flag by Aaron Lewis
Old 02-04-2023, 09:03 AM

The voice, the strings. The incredible bass line.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:01 AM

No way would I call myself a Grateful Dead fan or even close to one, but there are a few songs from way back when that pack enormous pathos for me. The first is "Wharf Rat" - the story of a drunken, abused, and cuckolded loser who clings to some absurd grain of hope that his life might somehow turn around. When the pace picks up slightly at the end, we feel that the singer sustains himself on this impossible dream.

I find "China Doll" moving in its understated bewilderment in the face of self-inflicted tragedy. Why? Why? The singer never says "What about me?" but the sense is implicit. What am I supposed to do now?

"Candyman" is a beautiful song, I think. Again, a song about personal tragedy, this time seemingly through drug abuse. It seems rolls along like an old country tune slowed down but still with an odd 'perky' lilt to it. The old-timey crooning chorus also sounds a little curious, given that it speaks about people living on the edge of lonely despair, sustained only by substances that will slowly kill them.

Old 02-04-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Just saw Slaid Cleaves a few weeks back. A local boy that done well. He lives in Texas now but still comes home every few years and plays a few shows. Always a great show.
Not only to I agree that Slaid Cleaves is a great musician, but his mother (a very nice woman and a justice of the peace) officiated our wedding when my wife and I got hitched at Thomas Point Beach Bluegrass Festival in Maine.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

While not claiming any musical similarities with this young genius, I can certainly relate to his sentiment. Fantastic player, and what a voice!

"The lyrics simultaneously describe my need to break out and escape bad memories, loss, and pain associated with my hometown, using the state as a personification of things I decided to leave behind.”
- Marcus King

Old 02-04-2023, 02:07 PM

“Life According to Raechel” by Madison Cunningham is really heartbreaking. Written about her grandmother who recently died.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:02 PM

Default Not an Acoustic song...but

Live version of Peter Gabriel doing Solsbury Hill, Live on Letterman, with a full orchestra behind him, and finishing up this great tune with the Ode to Joy theme.

When I showed it to my wife, viewing it for the first time, she teared up at the end.

Not a acoustic guitar song, and not a sad or tragic song, but a song, ultimately, about the power of the human spirit, even though it was inspired by his career move to leave Genesis and strike out on his own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWdrtR8qXYs

Q.E.D.

Gabriel was in his 60s then, still showing great vocal power. He is back touring again, and will turn 73 this month.
1970ish Harmony Buck Owens American
2012 Martin D1AXE

Last edited by KarlK; 02-04-2023 at 03:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion