The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 07:11 PM

Default Budget Gear

I'm a budget player by choice - I love playing my guitar but I have other places to spend my money so I choose to go the budget route and get inexpensive bargains that still please my ear and pocket - as listed below - curious about what like minded people have found that satisfies their soul and their wallet. Guitar - used Yamaha ll6, added bone saddle, excellent quality and love the tone -- Martin Retro strings, not as cheap as they used to be but last a year and love the tone -- Dunlop Ultex triangle 1.14 pick 50 cents and prefer it over anything I've tried -- Dunlop planet waves NS capo (the metal one) cheap and does the job very well -- any other interesting bargains out there ?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:24 PM

After owning some custom Taylor's and some Guild Guitars my priorities in life changed. All my guitars are Alvarez, Yamaha and other guitars, all of them ranging from $300 to $600. I have a Nagoya 12-String I got for $124 and an Oscar Schmidt OG2 that I got for $136. I love all these guitars and they're fun to play. I've learned I don't have to spend a fortune to find a guitar that makes me happy.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:32 AM

+1. My new Farida OT-22 is making me very happy... truth be told, if I had the cash I probably would have bought one of the new Gibson LG2's, but with that kind of investment, I would have to have found one , driven there, and played it... AND it would had to have felt and sounded right, of course... I ordered the Farida based on reviews here and elsewhere, I figured at that price I couldn't lose; if it was a dog I'd return it. Not only is it not a dog, it's a wonderful playing, feeling, and sounding guitar... honestly I couldn't be happier. For less than 500 bucks.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-25-2020, 07:47 AM

After I got some solid woods Taylors, Martins, Gibsons, Larrivees and Bouchers
(all around two to three grans brand new or between one to two grans used),
I came to Seagull, Alvarez and Eastman, all under 1 gran brand new.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

To the extent I go the budget route, I do it by only having ONE nicer acoustic. These days (and I can't see a day where I'll want more) that's a Martin CEO-7, not inexpensive at $2K, but far from what a lot of folks around here spend on guitars.

I also have an Alvarez AMP660 that cost me a little over $300 and is actually really similar to the CEO-7 except that it's got a hog top and laminate hog back and sides while the CEO is all solid with an Adi top and hog back and sides. But similar shape, dimensions, neck, and scale. The Alvarez is a fun guitar - I've had it longer than the CEO and it helped me decide to go for the CEO. As much as I like the Alvarez, when the CEO is there, I ALWAYS reach for the Martin - it just has tone that won't stop in a way the Alvarez doesn't.

So I shipped the Alvarez out to Oregon to my daughter's place so I'll have something to play when we visit out there. Eventually. I sent it months before we were really aware of the pandemic when we expected to be out there reasonably often. I haven't seen it (or her!) since, but hopefully next Spring or Summer. The CEO-7 is the only acoustic I have at home. Not cheap, but not that expensive, particularly considering it's my only one. I play it a LOT.

I have two electrics, a Strat and an SG with P90s that cost me under a grand combined (even with an upgraded neck on the strat), so those are budget. I find I can do just about as well for less with electrics - I've never really felt that way with acoustics.

-Ray
Old 10-25-2020, 08:17 AM

Budget gear price ranges are different for different people but in the sub $300 range I like Yamaha 700/800 FG/FS series and a used Seagull or Simon & Patrick.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:26 AM

When the downtown Guitar Center was closing, I went in on their last day and scored a beautiful Epiphone Hummingbird at 50% off. It's not an amazing guitar, but it is amazing for two bills.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:37 AM

Very happy with my Yamaha LS6 as my only guitar. Your post kind of makes me want to install a bone saddle and try out those Martin Retro strings. How would you describe the change in tone with these two "adjustments"...?

I am not saying I wouldn't be all over a good Gibson J-15 or J-45 on the s/h market, though....
Old 10-29-2020, 06:06 AM

I've been blessed to be able to afford nice guitars (way above my skill level) but I do love finding budget instruments which "punch above their weight" as was discussed in another thread. I have a couple Alvarez guitars that fall into that category and a Seagull Folk cedar which is marvelous. They are usually easy to sell too when/if the time comes. I have given away a couple also.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
I've been blessed to be able to afford nice guitars (way above my skill level) but I do love finding budget instruments which "punch above their weight" as was discussed in another thread. I have a couple Alvarez guitars that fall into that category and a Seagull Folk cedar which is marvelous. They are usually easy to sell too when/if the time comes. I have given away a couple also.
I'm absolutely in love with Alvarez guitars. Great value for what you get.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
So do I. I keep looking for the older Alvarez guitars, the ones with the thinner 1 11/16-inch nut width. The two I have with the 1 3/4-inch nuts I just don't play.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-29-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
So do I. I keep looking for the older Alvarez guitars, the ones with the thinner 1 11/16-inch nut width. The two I have with the 1 3/4-inch nuts I just don't play.
I went through a lot of guitars in the last 5 years, it finally came down to a brand and type of a guitar that by the spec's should sound this good and I shouldn't like since it's opposite from what I thought I needed,
Heck it plays so nice I forget the headstock...
Seagull CH momentum
That's my only acoustic
I have two electrics
Fender Affinity Strat that I customed with two P90's
A Epiphone semi-hollow 335 limited w/P90'S

Nothing cost over $500
Old 10-29-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
....any other interesting bargains out there?
I just read through that thread about the new Epiphone jumbo J200 and was pretty amazed that this pretty magnificent guitar is going for just $500. If I was still into budget Epiphones, I'd be all over this one.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-29-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
My two Alvarez Yairis, bought used, cost me about $1300 combined. Considering the action, tone, build quality, & beauty, they represent an extraordinary value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
My '89 6-string has a 1 11/16 nut, and the 12-string has a 1 13/16 nut, which for 12-string seems like a pretty narrow neck.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:21 AM

Not sure this qualifies for "budget", but I bought some fairly expensive guitars, and haven't bought another for more than 10 years.

They have some resale value, so if I view the process as "renting" guitars, I might be ahead of the game, or at least not too far in the hole.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion