The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 09:30 AM

Default GS Mini strings.

So having just been horrified by the price of
Elixir Medium gauge phosphor bronze Nanoweb (.013-.056) especially against other elixirs of the same ilk but in different thicknesses, I just wondered who is using what?

Last edited by 54TS; 10-24-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:36 AM

Elixirs are spendy, but they last a long time because of the coating.
Any medium gauge strings are acceptable. You may prefer a string that's uncoated.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
Elixirs are spendy, but they last a long time because of the coating.
Any medium gauge strings are acceptable. You may prefer a string that's uncoated.
Or maybe an uncoated string but manufactured to last longer? For example I'm impressed by the longevity of my Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings and by my recently installed Martin Lifespan 2.0.

Of course there are some strings that seem to "die" for me (especially on the low E string) within a few hours.

I have a set of Elixirs. They are still unwrapped and they have to be three to four years old if not older. I should use them. One day.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-24-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I replaced mine only once and I used the recommended Elixers. Under fifteen bucks doesn't seem that bad, unless you're changing them monthly. I'm thinking of trying lights next time around. I'm a singer and the mini is pretty loud. At least I have to work to sing over it. Some people were telling me that lights aren't quite as loud and they are easier to play. I'm doing okay with the mediums as far as playability, but if the lights are just a little less volume that would be great and the easier to play would be added value. I'll try it next time and see.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I replaced mine only once and I used the recommended Elixers. Under fifteen bucks doesn't seem that bad, unless you're changing them monthly. I'm thinking of trying lights next time around. I'm a singer and the mini is pretty loud. At least I have to work to sing over it. Some people were telling me that lights aren't quite as loud and they are easier to play. I'm doing okay on the easy, but if the lights are just a little less volume that would be great and the easier to play would be added value. I'll try it next time and see.

I’m using D’Addario PB EXP 16 (12-53) on my GS Mini Koa. It seems to last longer than Elixirs PB Nanoweb 12-53, especially for the G string that always frays very easily on Elixirs (for me).
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 10-24-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I replaced mine only once and I used the recommended Elixers. Under fifteen bucks doesn't seem that bad, unless you're changing them monthly. I'm thinking of trying lights next time around. I'm a singer and the mini is pretty loud. At least I have to work to sing over it. Some people were telling me that lights aren't quite as loud and they are easier to play. I'm doing okay with the mediums as far as playability, but if the lights are just a little less volume that would be great and the easier to play would be added value. I'll try it next time and see.
I'd be concerned that lights may not work all that well with a short-scale guitar but you can try them. Me? I'd just change to a lighter pick or a pick with a softer material, maybe felt. That way you would have the option to play louder with a standard pick. Or play fingerstyle or use your thumb to make chords.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-24-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54TS View Post
So having just been horrified by the price of
Elixir Medium gauge phosphor bronze Nanoweb (.013-.056) especially against other of the same ilk but in different thicknesses, I just wondered who is using what?
I've run Elixir Nanos on my guitars since they came out, and used the polywebs before that.

Horrific price can be somewhat assuaged if you consider how long they keep their good tone. If you like to change more often than every 6 months (whether you need to or not... ) then you can get the 3 packs on sale and it knocks around 30% off the price.

Once when I was complaining about the high price of a new car one of my friends told me to just build it myself if I wanted to save money.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the replies so far.
They are Circa £16 GBP over here. So around $20 + USD
Old 10-24-2020, 10:30 AM

There are lots of options out there if you want to try something different. If you want a coated string that costs less go with Ernie Ball Everlast. I am using them on a few different guitars and really like them. I have used D’Addario EXP as well.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:23 AM

GHS Bright Bronze (80/20) .13's are my go to for my GS Mini Mahogany.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:21 PM

thank you guys
Old 10-24-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

I’ve tried a bunch.one that stood out in a good way were Martin flex core mediums.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 10-24-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I play mediums on my mini as the shorter scale already reduces the tension. John Pearse Phos Bronze (700M) never disappoint me, but I think most of the uncoated medium Phos Bronze strings from the "name brand" manufacturers (Martin, D'Addario, DR, GHS, etc.) can give you good results and (uncoated) are around the same price and cheaper than Elixirs. In time though, you may find you prefer one or two over the others.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:58 AM

I forgot to mention Martin Retro strings. You did say strings for a Taylor GS mini and these are what I have on mine and have been happiest with. I have the spruce top and it was always a bit too bright for me, I tried 4 or 5 different makes of strings until I found the Retros.

They warmed up the tone without sounding dull, some coated strings do that. They last a long time, as long as coated and are $8.99 for mediums compared to $15.99 for Elixr. If you like a fundamental tone, that is warm with few overtones these are the ticket. If you want lush with over tones go for the Phosphor Bronze Ernie Ball Earthwood Everlast coated mediums at $8.99.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:42 AM

Importantly what I'm getting from this thread is that just because it came with the Elixir's there is plenty of choice at many price points that do not detract from capability of the GS Mini.

I know experimenting is the only way to see what suits your ear but now I may be able to spend £7, £10 etc instead of £16 each time. Though of course I will spend £16 if I have to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion