The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Dizzying prices

https://reverb.com/item/36477796-fro...-german-spruce

Not to pick on Froggy Bottom (nor Eddie's Guitars--a first-rate dealer), but it's a little surprising how prices have so steeply escalated for non-Brazilian guitars from mid-sized (as opposed to true boutique) builders. The guitar pictured above is doubtless wonderful in every way, but is it really a $13K instrument?

I'm glad I was able to own new Froggys, Santa Cruzes, and Goodalls in the past, because those builders now reside in the unreachable stratosphere with respect to price.

Then again, in a world where Martin and Taylor charge $5K and above for a premium--although factory-made--guitar, perhaps a $13K, off-the-rack Froggy makes perfect sense.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)

Last edited by hamburg325; 10-22-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:21 PM

After the pandemic, all these guitars may come on the market as people go back to their lives. I don’t see guitars maintaining these prices for too long. Considering you can buy a cheap car for the price of a guitar, I think things are a little skewed. Inflation is one thing that we all have to live with. However, outlandish price hikes because people want guitars right now is a little off-putting to me. Before too long it will be a buyers market again. Follow the ebb and flow.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 10-22-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Prices have really gone up steeply for a lot of brands in the last 10-20 years! I remember when a new McPherson was $3600 and a new Santa Cruz D/PW was $1995.

I had a Goodall Brazilian Rosewood TRD guitars years back that was made in 2003 and new it was about $4300 and now it would be $14k+.

To get really high quality instruments its expensive now to keep the quality of crafts people and materials at a high level like these brands have!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-22-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Prices have really gone up steeply for a lot of brands in the last 10-20 years! I remember when a new McPherson was $3600 and a new Santa Cruz D/PW was $1995.

I had a Goodall Brazilian Rosewood TRD guitars years back that was made in 2003 and new it was about $4300 and now it would be $14k+.

To get really high quality instruments its expensive now to keep the quality of crafts people and materials at a high level like these brands have!
All true.

But I don't quite understand how a Froggy M Deluxe I bought in 2004 for $3800 is now $13,000.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

When one sees ads for Froggy Bottom and Santa Cruz that proclaim themselves as "true custom shops," the translation seems to be: we're positioning ourselves to be able to charge really big bucks. Wow! A true custom shop. So, I'll take that nicely appointed, although hardly extraordinary, OM guitar for $13K. But honey: it's from a custom shop.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:48 PM

So I'm going with supply/demand, basic economics. If no one buys at these prices, the price will come down, if not, they won't.

Personally I've bought really nice guitars for far less and, while I can afford that price, just will not for a variety of reasons. I have recently purchased a 'custom' for about $4000 that I thought was nuts [for me] but really enjoy it. I've also bought another from a small boutique builder of guitars for about $1000 used and have one on his custom build list that I won't get until 2022 but nowhere near 5 figures.

I read about excellent boutique builders on this forum but just cannot, and will never, be in that kind of price range. Far too many excellent guitars at much more reasonable prices for me.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
All true.

But I don't quite understand how a Froggy M Deluxe I bought in 2004 for $3800 is now $13,000.
If you'd bought a Kim Walker guitar in 2004, it would have cost you, I dunno, maybe $2,500. Now it'll cost ya $40,000 if you can find one.

Supply & demand.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

It’s not a 13K guitar until somebody slaps their money down....or whips out a credit card. Which someone likely will do. Good for them. The good news is that there are hundreds of Froggies,Collings, Santa Cruz,Goodall, Bourgeois, and many other small shop and independent luthier built guitars on the used market. They can be had for much less. So there’s plenty of great guitars for those who are looking to spend less.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Its a market. And just like the NYSE, its valuations dont necessarily make any logical sense at times. If buyers can move inventory, prices will react... i think that market is greatly over valued at this time, therefore my piggybank is safe for a while...
Old 10-22-2020, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
...Considering you can buy a cheap car for the price of a guitar, I think things are a little skewed...

Martin
This made me recall that my first new car, a VW Super Beetle cost $1995 and my first house cost $16,000. This was in the early 70s...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-22-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I honestly think that both Richard Hoover and Mike Millard have raised their prices to intentionally drive down demand so that the can look towards retirement, but still make a few guitars and make some money without having to work as hard as they used to.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

There are some strange things going on in our economy. There's some really bad data at the base of our economy and allot of liquidity. Meaning people are unemployed and businesses are not operating yet there are many people that have allot of money to spend. It's unsettling. There are many people on AGF that have bought numerous guitars that are so expensive they aren't even carried in most guitar stores. I talked with a luthier the other day, with beautiful guitars, that doesn't have any orders and his base priced guitars go for $4,500. Strange times indeed.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-22-2020, 07:13 PM

I agree. Maybe prices are in line but some of these uber-boutique builders seem to price themselves for collectors rather than for players.

Quote:

Not to pick on Froggy Bottom (nor Eddie's Guitars--a first-rate dealer), but it's a little surprising how prices have so steeply escalated for non-Brazilian guitars from mid-sized (as opposed to true boutique) builders. The guitar pictured above is doubtless wonderful in every way, but is it really a $13K instrument?

I'm glad I was able to own new Froggys, Santa Cruzes, and Goodalls in the past, because those builders now reside in the unreachable stratosphere with respect to price.

Then again, in a world where Martin and Taylor charge $5K and above for a premium--although factory-made--guitar, perhaps a $13K, off-the-rack Froggy makes perfect sense.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
This made me recall that my first new car, a VW Super Beetle cost $1995 and my first house cost $16,000. This was in the early 70s...
Back in about 1990 as a college student I pulled a used guitar down off the wall of a guitar shop in Burlington Vermont, and fell in love. It was a 1938 D-28, and I could barely believe how good it sounded. Of course I couldn't afford it, but I considered selling my car to buy it. Of course that didn't seem like a wise idea at the time and in a certain way it probably wasn't since truly couldn't afford it, but today I'd much rather have a 1937 D-28 than a 1980 Pontiac Phoenix. I still can't afford a 1937 D-28, and at this rate I probably never will be able to.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

TME has a barely used one, $8500.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion