The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin Authentic Pick Up Installation?

I expect to be beat up on this but so be it. I am indecisive about this and that is the reason for my question. I have a Martin D-1 1931 Authentic. I am going to have some saddle work done to it as the G, B and e strings are a little low. And the saddle is glued in. Oddly my 00-18 Authentic has the same issue only not as bad. Since I am taking it to be worked on, which I hate, I have an unused K & K mini I'm thinking of having installed. With the 1/4 inch jack. I fully believe I will not be looking to ever sell this guitar. I have no real reason for the pick up installation as I don't plan on performing in the future in a real sense. I may play some tunes out again here or there post covid if there is a post covid. The main reason for the installation is that I like my tools to be robust and ready to be used when I want to use them. It's a little like having a sports car that you will never race, I guess. What are your thoughts?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-16-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

I don't see your dilemma? The K&K mini is one of the least invasive pickups you could have installed. They are in every guitar I own. There if you need them and out of sight otherwise with very little hardware inside the guitar. I'd do it in a flash. FWIW...I've never had any problems selling a guitar with a K&K mini professionally installed...Authentic or otherwise.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-16-2020, 10:56 AM

I don't think a pickup will hurt any resale value at all.

However, that being said, a pickup, at best, just gives you a vague approximation of a guitar. If a pickup just gives a vague approximation, an approximation of a relatively cheap guitar is going to be about the same as an expensive guitar. I, personally, don't hear the difference between a $1000 guitar with a half decent pickup and a $5000 guitar with a half decent pickup. I just don't think you really get tonal differences from a pickup - no matter the pickup or guitar. Pickup's just aren't in the right place to get good tonal differences. Mind you, the difference between a $200 guitar with a pickup and something half decent might be apparent. But, between something mid-level and something good - I don't think so. Then you add reverb and a DI box or whatever, you water the sound down further. Given this, sometimes it makes sense just to buy a guitar that you like to play out with that you don't mind dinging and drilling for pickups and these sorts of things.

That's my mindset... Most of my guitars came with pickup's, so I just leave them there. But, if they didn't have one, I would be thinking what I want to gig with.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 10-16-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I expect to be beat up on this but so be it. I am indecisive about this and that is the reason for my question. I have a Martin D-1 1931 Authentic. I am going to have some saddle work done to it as the G, B and e strings are a little low. And the saddle is glued in. Oddly my 00-18 Authentic has the same issue only not as bad. Since I am taking it to be worked on, which I hate, I have an unused K & K mini I'm thinking of having installed. With the 1/4 inch jack. I fully believe I will not be looking to ever sell this guitar. I have no real reason for the pick up installation as I don't plan on performing in the future in a real sense. I may play some tunes out again here or there post covid if there is a post covid. The main reason for the installation is that I like my tools to be robust and ready to be used when I want to use them. It's a little like having a sports car that you will never race, I guess. What are your thoughts?
I’m not particularly a traditionalist when it comes to things like this but since the D-1 Authentic is, for me, one of the most magical acoustics I’ve ever played I’d be very inclined to leave it bone stock. I have an OM-18 Authentic and have the same inclinations with that guitar although I’d admit it’s not as nice as the D-1.

Again I’ve never been shy about putting in a pickup system with any of my guitars but the Authentic’s just screams to be left as is.

You asked

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 10-16-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:36 AM

If you don't wanna drill your guitar you can get an active soundhole pu that you can pop in when needed.
I use a Schertler because it's lite, installs easily with strings on, is feedback resistant, and sounds good.
Lots of choices in non-invasive amplification so good luck!

Old 10-16-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I 100% agree with you. Every guitar I own has a pickup in it. Yeah once you plug a guitar in they mostly all sound alike, but dang it if I want to take one to a gig, then I want to be able to plug in and play. I think your K&K will be perfect for this guitar. I say do it!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-16-2020, 05:46 PM

Hmmmm....

I am usually so pro pickup but I am not sure with your Authentic. I have an OM18 Authentic and am leaving it natural.

So if you are not gigging regularly, I would leave the K&K out of the Authentic.

But you will need to buy another guitar to put the K&K in!

BluesKing777.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:48 AM

I always put a K&K in at the time of the initial setup. I put one in my D-28 Authentic and in my Lowden (which was considerably more expensive).

Bad shoulder forced me to trade the Authentic and there was no problem with the fact it had the K&K.

I love nice guitars, but they are still tools to be used.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-17-2020, 10:11 AM

I am thinking of putting a pickup in my 37 D 28 Authentic so I can use it on stage ( if all our cancelled gigs ever come back). I’ve used a few different pickups over the years. K&K are good. I’ve settled on the TranceAmulet. Absolutely the best, in my opinion. I have them in three other guitars. Give Maury’s a call about them.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 10-17-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

It's interesting that when some folks find something they like, they stick with it. I agree that if you really like something you'd probably be well served by sticking to it. In my case that's Dazzos, but unlike those who like K&Ks, I wouldn't argue against Trance pickups.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-17-2020, 02:36 PM

Your guitar and your decision.
I think that you already want to do it so go for it.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:01 PM

Default All for non-invasive

[QUOTE=Song;6525296]If you don't wanna drill your guitar you can get an active soundhole pu that you can pop in when needed.
I use a Schertler because it's lite, installs easily with strings on, is feedback resistant, and sounds good.
Lots of choices in non-invasive amplification so good luck!

When I’m looking at purchasing a guitar, my first requirement is that there be no electronics installed. (Second is 1.75” nut.) I have an old Sunrise in-hole pick-up that sounds incredible when I need one.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:12 PM

I do have a Dazzo in one guitar. Great pickup too. I found it more difficult to install but that’s about it. Sounds about the same as my Trance Amulets meaning it sounds like my guitar, just louder.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 10-17-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Aren't Trance pickups active where Dazzo's are passive? I had a Dazzo in an old D-28 Marquis and it seems it was similar to a K&K mini in that it was passive?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-17-2020, 06:31 PM

For me, an acoustic that has a K&K with 1/4” jack is a PLUS.

All of my acoustics, including my two Authentics, have K&K’s installed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification