The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-20-2020, 12:53 PM

Default Recording With A Fishman Loudbox Artist

I have been playing many years but not as a pro and normally just around the house. Only recently have I tried to amplify or record myself. I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist as my amp. And I also have a Zoom H4n as my recorder. Sometimes I record into the Zoom and sometimes I use the Zoom as a interface and just record into the DAW on my laptop. I'm a noob with all of it actually so there is a lot of trial and error.

I noticed on the back of the Artist is a Mix DI Out XLR. So yesterday I connected a cable to that output and then into my Zoom and did a test recording and it sounded fine once I got the levels adjusted. I'm wondering if I did the exact same thing but then used my to usb cable to connect the Zoom to my laptop as a interface if I would be able to record the fishman directly into my DAW without using a mic?

Has anyone ever tried that? If it does work is that a acceptable way to record? It's hard in my place to just mic the amp and do it like that. I already know I can record into the Zoom and then transfer the file into a DAW but if I could record into the DAW directly that would be ideal to me.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

If the Zoom is configured as an interface all you need to do is add a track in the DAW using the input where you have the amp plugged in on the Zoom.

When you have a couple of devices connected together that are plugged into the same AC circuit there is always some chance of line noise or the dreaded ground loop but with proper house wiring and grounded equipment plugs you should be ok.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:27 AM

Thank you. It's working well and noise free.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD